Sponsored by:

how to buy out of state

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2016, 07:44 PM
sn66p
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to buy out of state

Can anybody with experience doing an out of state buy help me with the process? I'm looking to buy a later model coupe and eyeing some of the deals I see. Not too keen on buying sight unseen and unsure how to negotiate something like this. Any advice is welcome.
Old 03-05-2016, 08:56 PM
-Ryan-
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm going through process right now so it's fresh in my mind. Anything specifically you want to know?
Old 03-05-2016, 09:51 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 892 Likes on 546 Posts

I've done it many times. Suggested steps:

1) After reviewing all pertinent information about the car, agree on a price and enter into a purchase agreement subject to inspection - make sure you see a copy of the title and a drivers license of the seller and that they are the same and that there are no liens. Seller might require a deposit at this point
2) Pick an independent third party (Porsche dealer) to do an inspection (PPI) and check the car for possible accident damage at your expense. Make sure that the inspection results are only shared with you and not the seller (without your consent). Make sure all books, records, keys etc are included
3) If inspection is ok, wire the money in return for the title. It would be best for the seller to leave the car where the PPI was performed. You should get the title sent via FedEx as soon as payment is received. If inspection is not ok, either renegotiate the price or ask for your deposit back
4) Arrange to have the car shipped and picked up

If you are not willing/able to fly out and look at the car in person and deal with the seller directly in terms of money and title transfer, your risks of a bad experience go up exponentially but it can be done.
Old 03-05-2016, 09:55 PM
sn66p
5th Gear

How do you determine the condition when you are not within driving distance? I've found CPO cars at local dealerships to be a mixed bag. Some really beat up cars apparently pass muster. Doesn't really make me feel confident that this label means much.
Old 03-05-2016, 09:58 PM
sn66p
5th Gear

Thanks Frank that is helpful. Would you still get a ppi on a dealer CPO car?
Old 03-05-2016, 10:42 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 892 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by sn66p
Thanks Frank that is helpful. Would you still get a ppi on a dealer CPO car?
When I bought my wife's CPO Boxster from a Porsche Dealer, I did not get a PPI, however I had a fellow Rennlister take a look at the car to make sure the condition was as advertised.
Old 03-05-2016, 10:50 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 857 Likes on 432 Posts

Everyone has great comments but before you sign please go look at your purchase and make a weekend out of it and then ship it back.

A cost of a plane ticket is such cheap insurance to not make a huge $$ mistake.

Where is the car you're interested in?
Old 03-05-2016, 10:57 PM
-Ryan-
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

How do you determine the condition when you are not within driving distance? I've found CPO cars at local dealerships to be a mixed bag. Some really beat up cars apparently pass muster. Doesn't really make me feel confident that this label means much.
I didn't use one but there are 3rd party companies out there and will go take 50+ (hi-res I assume) pictures of the car for you.

For my purchase I too found a rennlister to go by, plus the dealer posted a lot of pictures plus I did like a 10 minute face time call with salesman going over all panels, wheels, interior.
Old 03-05-2016, 11:38 PM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 86 Posts

I had plenty of pictures to review from the seller before I made my purchase. The plus for my purchase was a seven month old vehicle with only 700 miles. There was only one minor blemish on the left front fender the seller agreed to repair upon delivery. I also had the vehicle shipped in an inclosed trailer at his cost. Best purchase I every made. BTW, the other members have given great advice. Just remember you are responsible for all registration fees and taxes for the state of California. Check online for all details for the DMV or call AAA for advice if you are a member.
Old 03-06-2016, 12:07 AM
raaizin
Racer

Received 153 Likes on 72 Posts

Can anybody with experience doing an out of state buy help me with the process? I'm looking to buy a later model coupe and eyeing some of the deals I see. Not too keen on buying sight unseen and unsure how to negotiate something like this. Any advice is welcome.

I bought out of state from a Porsche dealer. I would only buy if serviced by selling dealers. I asked for copies of sevice history and cpo checklist. Also look at carfax, I saw a couple of CPO's that were rentals that I wouldnt consider. I passed on two before I bought mine. I asked dealer to walk around the car and tell me each imperfection. I found the three different dealers I dealt with trustworthy. I was amazed at info they provided. I wouldnt buy an auction car even if cpo, there must be a reason first dealer passed on the car. Lower mileage helps, less of a chance to do damage by original purchaser.
Old 03-06-2016, 01:01 AM
RichAA
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 what everyone else has said.

If you can swing it, fly out and drive home. It was (for me) a relaxing chance to get to know the car.

Anyway, good luck.

Last edited by RichAA; 03-06-2016 at 09:03 PM.
Old 03-06-2016, 01:32 AM
Karl911
Burning Brakes

Received 432 Likes on 183 Posts

I live in S. Fl for 16 yrs/ but also a snow Bird back to Ohio.
I have bought every new car with my dealers back North.
I always get a better deal there!
Old 03-06-2016, 12:49 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

I've bought new cars out of state, but not used. Don't think I'd even go through that hassle unless it was a really special car that I really, really wanted.
Old 03-06-2016, 12:57 PM
zathras
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought my 2013 c2 cab from a dealer in Omaha. It was a lease return with 9k miles on it, and I had the SA do a skype call with me and walk around, give me closeups where I asked etc, so I felt comfortable with it visually. I carfaxed it and they CPO'd it so I felt comfortable with it mechanically. He even took me on a test drive via skype.
We made the deal and they shipped it down to me.

It's the first time I've ever bought a vehicle that way, but I had to expand my search to national since I was looking for a non-white/red/black/gray which eliminates about 90% of the cars.
Old 03-06-2016, 01:47 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 541 Likes on 284 Posts

Start with great pics and a high res, slow moving video of the car. Have a discerning eye familiar with the cars look at it (if that's not you) - lot of those here.

Ask from DME report, or CPO

Get records from the selling/servicing dealer - they tell you a LOT about how the owner took care of the car

If needed, get a local indy PPI, or have a Rennlister check it out.

Fly in after all of these check out and look it over before you sign anything

You can usually tell if your dealer is reputable

Quick Reply: how to buy out of state