Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how to buy out of state

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2016, 06:02 PM
kpmd2000
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

bought my 13 c4s from danbury porsche and I live in Chicago. It was a CPO and in great condition. No PPI and bought sight unseen. I heard good things about the dealer, so i felt very comfortable with the deal. Negotiated via email for the entire deal. Flew out to CT and drove it back. Overall, a great experience!
Old 03-06-2016, 06:18 PM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 1,010 Likes on 575 Posts

ppi usually covers mechanical stuff rather than actual condition of the car regarding interior or paint , and it is done in the service department. I have bought a bunch of cars from out of state , but all new. I would personally not buy a used car without looking at it in person. The little stuff sometimes can be the most annoying , for example, if the previous owner had a dog or was a smoker and the car has a smell, and you don't have a dog/or smoke , and you are not used to that smell, that can be a difficult thing to get rid off completely. Focus your search within a relatively short distance 200 miles or so and take a trip and do your own inspection.
Old 03-07-2016, 03:12 AM
beaverlake
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm surprised STG991 hasn't weighed in.

Here's my experience.

981 BS purchased out of town but dealt face to face
991 C2s purchased from same dealer, totally remote through pictures and calls (Porsche Rancho Mirage)
991 C4s purchased from Brett at Sonnen (site sponsor) - photos, emails, and calls only.

All were from Porsce dealers. All were CPO. The two 991s had front bumper rash that I couldn't see on the photos, both dealers gave me some price consideration to have corrective work done at a Porsche Certified Collision Center for the respray.

If/when you find "the car" ask Rennlisters about the dealership. Contact someone from the dealer-local PCA region about the dealership. Ask someone to take a look at the car - you'll get volunteers. I did not have PPIs done (I probably should have). Understand your state's tax and licensing regs. Then buy that dream machine.

Note that my purchases were, by choice, limited to Porsche dealers and CPO cars. But I will have zero concerns about the next purchase keeping these "rules" in mind.

Gordon
Old 03-17-2016, 04:37 AM
sn66p
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you to everybody that replied! I really appreciate the insights.
Old 03-17-2016, 02:45 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I've bought out of state from individuals and dealers both. Just use common sense and don't let your emotions get you into something that you might regret later.

Older cars I always get a PPI. Newer (one or two years old) I generally don't bother. If the car turns out to be a lemon, then I just flip it. Life is too short.

Remember, it's an expensive purchase but at the end of the day, it's just a car. There are thousands out there just like that one.
Old 03-17-2016, 03:14 PM
sn66p
5th Gear

I have found the CPO designation to be generally meaningless when it comes to the actual physical condition of the car. This past week I saw 3 different cars near me at Porsche dealerships which were in unacceptable condition to me. Ridiculous amounts of road rash, obvious damage that was not even repaired--I am not sure that CPO even means here. Anyways, agree with all the posters who recommended eyes on the ground always.
Old 03-17-2016, 07:15 PM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 1,010 Likes on 575 Posts

that proves my point that CPO only affect mechanical things not cosmetics, or interior.
Old 03-17-2016, 10:26 PM
Kennethjk
Instructor

My out of state car came without any paperwork. Nothing.technically I couldn't drive it in NY until it was registered and out of state dealer did that. Took an extra week before car got registered etc.

I had relatives near dealership so I had eyes on car but never the same as your own eyes.
Old 03-17-2016, 10:33 PM
77tony
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
I've done it many times. Suggested steps:

1) After reviewing all pertinent information about the car, agree on a price and enter into a purchase agreement subject to inspection - make sure you see a copy of the title and a drivers license of the seller and that they are the same and that there are no liens. Seller might require a deposit at this point
2) Pick an independent third party (Porsche dealer) to do an inspection (PPI) and check the car for possible accident damage at your expense. Make sure that the inspection results are only shared with you and not the seller (without your consent). Make sure all books, records, keys etc are included
3) If inspection is ok, wire the money in return for the title. It would be best for the seller to leave the car where the PPI was performed. You should get the title sent via FedEx as soon as payment is received. If inspection is not ok, either renegotiate the price or ask for your deposit back
4) Arrange to have the car shipped and picked up

If you are not willing/able to fly out and look at the car in person and deal with the seller directly in terms of money and title transfer, your risks of a bad experience go up exponentially but it can be done.
Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
When I bought my wife's CPO Boxster from a Porsche Dealer, I did not get a PPI, however I had a fellow Rennlister take a look at the car to make sure the condition was as advertised.
Bingo !!

Quick Reply: how to buy out of state