Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PDK Launch Control Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 02:54 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

So to use LC, you need to put it into Sport+, hold brake, floor it and let go?
Old 03-07-2016, 03:15 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Need4S
So to use LC, you need to put it into Sport+, hold brake, floor it and let go?
Yes. I believe if the brake is not held down hard or if the throttle isn't moved to the floor rapidly enough, it won't transition to launch control mode. You'll get a "launch control activated" yellow caution message on the dial with the associated beep.
Old 03-07-2016, 03:30 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by Roosell
I'm assuming they did design it, conceive it, manufacture it, and install it.
They install it because the buying public has a retarded fascination with meaningless 0-60 times and the manufacturers pretty much have to put LC in their cars now for marketing purposes. I seriously doubt Porsche engineers were sitting around one day and said 'you know what would be make our sports cars awesome? Launch control!'
Old 03-07-2016, 03:43 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
They install it because the buying public has a retarded fascination with meaningless 0-60 times and the manufacturers pretty much have to put LC in their cars now for marketing purposes. I seriously doubt Porsche engineers were sitting around one day and said 'you know what would be make our sports cars awesome? Launch control!'
That'd be valid for any other cars, but you wouldn't need LC to achieve Porsche's quoted 0-60 times.
Old 03-07-2016, 03:51 PM
DerekS
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
I disagree. Their video makes it look exactly like something that would make their cars more awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9Vx...ature=youtu.be
Old 03-07-2016, 04:01 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,222 Likes on 739 Posts

why are 0-60 times meaningless - isn't it what all sports cars are judged by?
Old 03-08-2016, 04:23 PM
Scottish Pete
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I probably told more folks about launch control during the five month wait for my 2015 Carrera S than any other feature. Of course I have now only used it twice in the 15 months and 14,850 miles I have had it.
My first launch control use was after the 2,000 mile break-in with only myself in the car. I managed to give myself a minor whiplash. I did not put my head back against the headrest and remember the instant pull on my jaw and neck rying to hold my head forward. I immediately felt the slight nausea develop in my stomach that I got a few years back trying to keep up with my nephews on the Magic Mountain roller coasters. Had the minor whiplash ache and unsettling feel in my stomach the rest of the day, which as an experienced California whiplash attorney were symptoms I recognized!
My last use of launch control was for my best friend in high school (we are both now in late 60's) who is the hardest on motor vehicles of anyone I know . . . once bending the valves in his 1961 356 Porsche 1600 Super trying to race a 409 Chevy. He was quite impressed with the launch control start!
Had not thought about launch control for months now. Guess I'll go give it a try again.

Last edited by Scottish Pete; 03-15-2016 at 06:12 PM.

Quick Reply: PDK Launch Control Question