Techart vs H&R springs... - Page 3 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Notices
991
Sponsored by:

Techart vs H&R springs...

 
Old 07-26-2017, 03:35 PM
  #31  
Bents
User
 
Bents's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 252
Default

Do techarts or H&R impact the size spacer you can use? I have the common 7mm/15mm setup atm. Thanks!
Bents is offline  
Old 07-26-2017, 03:37 PM
  #32  
R_Rated
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Where aspirations are natural
Posts: 4,390
Default

R_Rated is offline  
Old 07-26-2017, 04:45 PM
  #33  
Harsany
User
 
Harsany's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 314
Default

KW H.A.S. is the best lowering solution for the 991. Pay the extra money for KW. The springs do not use the factory bump stops that H&R and Techart do. The ride is amazing and the height adjustable so you can get the exact look you are looking for.

Harsany is offline  
Old 07-26-2017, 04:47 PM
  #34  
awrryan
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
awrryan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Posts: 1,465
Default

Originally Posted by Harsany View Post
KW H.A.S. is the best lowering solution for the 991. Pay the extra money for KW. The springs do not use the factory bump stops that H&R and Techart do. The ride is amazing and the height adjustable so you can get the exact look you are looking for.

Seriously thinking of KW HAS. Can you elaborate on what you mean by amazing?
awrryan is offline  
Old 07-26-2017, 04:50 PM
  #35  
911passion
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
911passion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Seattle
Posts: 273
Default

Originally Posted by awrryan
Seriously thinking of KW HAS. Can you elaborate on what you mean by amazing?
Would like to hear about that too... thanks!
911passion is offline  
Old 07-26-2017, 05:14 PM
  #36  
Harsany
User
 
Harsany's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 314
Default

I lowered my 991 S on H&R's. It lasted a day. The car looked to slammed and the ride was too stiff. The car lost it's factory feel. My tuner told me that KW is the way to go. He has done numerous cars with the KW H.A.S kit and has had great feedback, so I jumped in. I was at the shop so I could determine the height of the car. I could of gone much lower as the adustability is vast.

The ride....I live in Calgary..the roads are not great. These springs suck up everything at all speeds. The car is firm, but no way stiff. The stability is rock solid. I could not be happier with results.

recent pic of my height





Originally Posted by 911passion View Post
Would like to hear about that too... thanks!
Harsany is offline  
Old 07-26-2017, 05:45 PM
  #37  
911passion
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
911passion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Seattle
Posts: 273
Default

Originally Posted by Harsany
I lowered my 991 S on H&R's. It lasted a day. The car looked to slammed and the ride was too stiff. The car lost it's factory feel. My tuner told me that KW is the way to go. He has done numerous cars with the KW H.A.S kit and has had great feedback, so I jumped in. I was at the shop so I could determine the height of the car. I could of gone much lower as the adustability is vast.

The ride....I live in Calgary..the roads are not great. These springs suck up everything at all speeds. The car is firm, but no way stiff. The stability is rock solid. I could not be happier with results.

recent pic of my height

Sounds great. You have PASM though, correct?
911passion is offline  
Old 07-26-2017, 05:57 PM
  #38  
stout
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
stout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: ^ The Bay Bridge, Silly
Posts: 3,395
Default

From my own experience: H&R lowering springs were awful on my WRX with stock dampers despite numerous vendors and one manufacturer rep assuring they would work. H&R lowering springs were amazing on a 997.1 Turbo with PASM dampers—better in fact than a very expensive set of coil-overs from a famous German tuner. My take? It's something of a crapshoot.

TechArt lowering springs were very good on a 997.2 S with PASM. Very factory-ish. One shop I have a lot of respect for says that, if there is one thing TechArt never gets wrong, it's -20mm lowering springs—its customers are always happy and don't have problems, which isn't the case with some other springs it used to install if customers insisted on them. Now it won't install those springs.

I do find that PASM works really well with lowering springs, as it can make adjustments to counter the spring oscillations, and some PASM systems (997.1 Turbo in particular) seem to like less effective suspension travel to manage.

The H.A.S. setup is very interesting for cars with PASM dampers. You get the height adjustability without throwing out all of the damper development handled by the best sports car maker on earth.
stout is offline  
Old 07-26-2017, 06:38 PM
  #39  
awrryan
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
awrryan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Posts: 1,465
Default

I think your ride height is perfect. Looks lowered, but not slammed or "aftermarket" lowered. I had techart on my 997.2 (base Carrera without PASM). I liked the springs. Ride got a bit harsher when i changed from OEM shocks to Bilstein B6 (heavy duty), but still ok. I like the adjustability aspect of KW HAS because I can lower it just slightly (perhaps even slightly less than Techart or eibach springs) which is all I want to do. I do not have PASM on my base 991 Carrera, but i cannot imagine that lowering it slightly will seriously affect the ride. Either way, your car looks great. Thanks for posting your thoughts.

Originally Posted by Harsany View Post
I lowered my 991 S on H&R's. It lasted a day. The car looked to slammed and the ride was too stiff. The car lost it's factory feel. My tuner told me that KW is the way to go. He has done numerous cars with the KW H.A.S kit and has had great feedback, so I jumped in. I was at the shop so I could determine the height of the car. I could of gone much lower as the adustability is vast.

The ride....I live in Calgary..the roads are not great. These springs suck up everything at all speeds. The car is firm, but no way stiff. The stability is rock solid. I could not be happier with results.

recent pic of my height

awrryan is offline  
Old 07-26-2017, 07:43 PM
  #40  
Johnny5Alive
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Johnny5Alive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 482
Default


I obsessed over this and figured that if I ended up losing a few hundred dollars over install of the techart springs due to deciding to go with the full coilovers it wouldn't be the end of the world.

i discussed the matter with sharkworks and they said that PASM is very very good and techart would be fine.

i have not felt the need to go with coilovers since going techart. The ride height is perfect, a touch lower than spasm. The ride quality in my experience, is unchanged from oem.

coilovers are very nice but I don't feel they are necessary on this car if you're looking for a mild drop.

Johnny5Alive is offline  
Old 07-26-2017, 08:26 PM
  #41  
pdutta2000
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
pdutta2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sudbury, MA
Posts: 114
Default

Originally Posted by Johnny5Alive View Post
coilovers are very nice but I don't feel they are necessary on this car if you're looking for a mild drop.
Love the look of your car. Just want to confirm a few things. Your car is an S with PASM. Is that correct? Do you have any spacers? I want to achieve your look with my base. So your car is 10mm lower from the factory due to PASM if I read the docs correctly.
pdutta2000 is offline  
Old 07-26-2017, 08:53 PM
  #42  
leopard print
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 103
Default

Here's my car for reference. I'm on TechArt springs.
Attached Images   
leopard print is offline  
Old 07-26-2017, 09:00 PM
  #43  
awrryan
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
awrryan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Posts: 1,465
Default

Originally Posted by pdutta2000 View Post
Love the look of your car. Just want to confirm a few things. Your car is an S with PASM. Is that correct? Do you have any spacers? I want to achieve your look with my base. So your car is 10mm lower from the factory due to PASM if I read the docs correctly.
I think Techart springs lower the car by 25 mm (1"). I liked them on my base Carrera (997.2) with OEM shocks, but without PASM. Changed to Bilstein B6 shocks not long after. Loved the handling after switching shocks and sporty feel, but lost it's OEM ride quality. Techarts with OEM shocks was extremely close to OEM if not the same. It seemed to absorb most bumps a little softer actually, probably because they are progressive rate springs.
awrryan is offline  
Old 07-26-2017, 09:03 PM
  #44  
awrryan
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
awrryan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Posts: 1,465
Default

Originally Posted by Johnny5Alive View Post

I obsessed over this and figured that if I ended up losing a few hundred dollars over install of the techart springs due to deciding to go with the full coilovers it wouldn't be the end of the world.

i discussed the matter with sharkworks and they said that PASM is very very good and techart would be fine.

i have not felt the need to go with coilovers since going techart. The ride height is perfect, a touch lower than spasm. The ride quality in my experience, is unchanged from oem.

coilovers are very nice but I don't feel they are necessary on this car if you're looking for a mild drop.
Great pic. The only thing that has stopped me from going with Techart is whether i should try KW HAS for the adjustability.
awrryan is offline  
Old 07-26-2017, 09:21 PM
  #45  
Johnny5Alive
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Johnny5Alive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 482
Default

Thanks for the kind words.

The car came OEM with the standard Carrera 4S PASM. It has OEM 5mm spacers. The techart springs really set off the stance well.

I will be removing the OEM spacers when my custom wheels come in, since they come with a more wide offset.

Keep in mind the wheels on the widebody 4/4S might have a different offset than NB cars.

I've had coilovers on past cars and I found that I never messed with the ride height once I got them where I wanted them. I wanted something this time around that kept it simple, out of the box, and was professionally optimized. Since I liked the stance of the techart it fit the bill. Don't feel the need to adjust at all. The only downside is techart is more expensive than comparable products H&R etc.
Johnny5Alive is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Techart vs H&R springs...


Contact Us About Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: