Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you buy a "PCNA Display Vehicle" (aka "Press Vehicle")?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2018 | 01:00 PM
DNSGT3
Racer

My understanding for a press car:
Driven by all journalists;
with&without skills;
as hard as they could;
regardless the condition/longevity of the car.

Buying a used car is risky. This is not....coz you know how it had been treated.....
No I would not consider that.
Old 04-10-2018 | 01:15 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

To @Sautan, it looks like the dealer misrepresented the condition of the car. See Wikipedia whether what dealer did fits the terminology and check what you want to make you happy. I would suggest you consult legal help to see what can be done. Maybe informally contact with the dealer to see if they can make you happy:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misrepresentation
Old 04-10-2018 | 07:33 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DNSGT3
My understanding for a press car:
Driven by all journalists;
True, sort of. Porsche is top of press pool "food chain," and pretty careful about who gets into its cars.

with&without skills;
100% true.

as hard as they could;
I have rarely—if ever—driven a press car as hard as I could, even on track. Job one is returning a press vehicle the way you got it, less reasonable use. There are others in the press corps who feel this way, too—and probably treat press cars better than some lesses treat 2- or 3-year lease cars. Ditto for executives/company cars. Of course, there are always the yokels, too....

Buying a used car is risky. This is not....coz you know how it had been treated.....
No I would not consider that.
Despite my clarifications above, I am with you.*

*Unless I knew the history of the specific vehicle in question or there was some other known upside.

Last edited by stout; 04-10-2018 at 08:44 PM.
Old 04-10-2018 | 07:37 PM
whiteducktail
Racer

As a data point to jungkim1234's survey request, I'd like to offer my experience. My 2015 Carrera was a PCNA vehicle, described by the Porsche salesman as an "executive loaner." It had 12,xxx miles on it when I purchased it July 2016. It was absolutely flawless, not a single blemish inside or out, not even a scratch under the front bumper cover lower lip. The tires looked almost new, but were not brand new because they had some of the famous Pirelli cracking. Brakes had minor wear. It had no creaks or rattles (and is still solid). Perfect glass and perfect carpet. Since that time, it has not burned or lost any oil (no oil on the rear bumper cover, dry exhaust tips, no consumption between oil changes every 5000 miles), run strong, and has had zero issues. Being PDK I was not concerned about any over-revs. So, I got what was either essentially a gently/properly-used new car for ~ %30 off, or an abused car that was completely and competently rebuilt to my satisfaction. I believe the former scenario is more likely, as I have inspected the car thoroughly (front/rear bumper covers off for mods/service/inspection boredom, brake and spring upgrades, oil and brake fluid changes, etc.) in the twenty months I've owned it so far and found no evidence of damage or shenanigans.

So, my opinion is, there are some sweet examples out there among the "PCNA" labeled cars. However, there is probably a spectrum of outcomes represented in this group, as well.
Old 04-10-2018 | 08:15 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by whiteducktail
As a data point to jungkim1234's survey request, I'd like to offer my experience. My 2015 Carrera was a PCNA vehicle, described by the Porsche salesman as an "executive loaner." It had 12,xxx miles on it when I purchased it July 2016. It was absolutely flawless, not a single blemish inside or out, not even a scratch under the front bumper cover lower lip. The tires looked almost new, but were not brand new because they had some of the famous Pirelli cracking. Brakes had minor wear. It had no creaks or rattles (and is still solid). Perfect glass and perfect carpet. Since that time, it has not burned or lost any oil (no oil on the rear bumper cover, dry exhaust tips, no consumption between oil changes every 5000 miles), run strong, and has had zero issues. Being PDK I was not concerned about any over-revs. So, I got what was either essentially a gently/properly-used new car for ~ %30 off, or an abused car that was completely and competently rebuilt to my satisfaction. I believe the former scenario is more likely, as I have inspected the car thoroughly (front/rear bumper covers off for mods/service/inspection boredom, brake and spring upgrades, oil and brake fluid changes, etc.) in the twenty months I've owned it so far and found no evidence of damage or shenanigans.

So, my opinion is, there are some sweet examples out there among the "PCNA" labeled cars. However, there is probably a spectrum of outcomes represented in this group, as well.

If yours had 12K miles, was some sort of lease car for a PCNA employee of sorts. Sounds like you got a nice one. Smart of you to notice and look for the small cosmetic red flags.

The track and press cars are maxed out at 6K miles tops.

Always are "exceptions" to the guidance offered here.
Old 04-10-2018 | 08:59 PM
whiteducktail
Racer

Originally Posted by STG
The track and press cars are maxed out at 6K miles tops.
Oh, that's very good information to know. Thanks STG!
Old 04-10-2018 | 09:12 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by whiteducktail
Oh, that's very good information to know. Thanks STG!

Plus in addition I've NEVER seen a ducktail track/press car for sale ever.

Porsche West Broward seems to get a lot of these tracked cars. Look at CarFax, never titled or sold and have 4K-6K miles on them. Started seeing a lot of them starting with 991.1 GTS's for the .1's.
Old 04-11-2018 | 01:22 AM
sautan
Advanced

Originally Posted by visitador
To @Sautan, it looks like the dealer misrepresented the condition of the car. See Wikipedia whether what dealer did fits the terminology and check what you want to make you happy. I would suggest you consult legal help to see what can be done. Maybe informally contact with the dealer to see if they can make you happy:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misrepresentation
I am waiting to hear from the dealer's manager. Ideally, they take back and refund me the money.
Old 04-11-2018 | 06:05 AM
Porscheforever
Racer

Originally Posted by sautan
Car already delivered. I am not too worry about PCNA CAR NOT FOR SALE. I like Porsche and I intend to keep them as long as I can. I am more upset the dealer told me it's Brand New Condition. No Paint Chip, No Scratches and not even under the bumper lip, and its installed with full front clear bra. Unfortunately, there are scratches and paint chip and clear bra is starting to peel off. In the contract, it stated NEW CAR SALES and also extra line no scratches, no swirls and no cosmetic imperfection. I am in CALIFORNIA and they are in NY. What can I do if they don't want to take care of it?

So far, the sales executive responded to me and said his manager will take a look tomorrow.

Can i ask for return? What is the laws for cross state sales from NY to CALIFORNIA?

I got 18% off MSRP. Original $170K. Do you think consider good deal if without all the blemishes?
Can you get a good certified Porsche body shop in CA to inspect the paint & fix it for you providing that your dealer is willing to cover the cost? If the chip isn't so deep and only on the surface, a quick buff from a pro & reapplying the clear coat should fix it. Also ask for full PPF since you have to fix the clear bra anyway.

18% off MSRP is cool and PCNA not for sale is sort of cool too since it was really not for sale!

PF
Old 04-11-2018 | 10:11 AM
STG
Race Director

I am waiting to hear from the dealer's manager. Ideally, they take back and refund me the money.

They still haven't called you back?

Quick to take the $$, slow to resolve any issues
Old 04-11-2018 | 10:44 AM
saeyedoc
Pro

Originally Posted by STG
They still haven't called you back?
Quick to take the $$, slow to resolve any issues
Time for emails with copies to PCNA and the general manager of the dealership
Old 04-11-2018 | 10:54 AM
LexVan
Banned

I think you need to re-adjust your expectations. They are NOT taking the car back. You'd be better served, and be moving quicker to the resolution phase if you start ASAP defining what you want fixed on the car, and the related expenses. Then, have the selling dealership pay those expenses directly to the vendors your select in CA. Good luck and start enjoying your new car.

Take to a great detailer. There are a few in CA. Get a complete paint correction, replace the failing PPF, touch up the paint chips, and a high tech nono coating. Will be over $2K but should be far less than $5K.

Post your city, and start askig Rennlisters for a good recommendation for a detailer.
Old 04-11-2018 | 10:58 AM
LexVan
Banned

Oh, I see you are in LA. There are some detailing STUDS in LA. Is Moe in LA?
Old 04-11-2018 | 11:06 AM
Dewinator
Drifting

Next time don’t let them deliver it to your house, have them keep it at the dealership so you can get a look at it before driving it off the lot.

In my experience, even the best dealerships as judged by their service departments have some shadiness on the sales side... I wouldn’t trust the sales departments of average dealerships any more than a random guy that posts an e-bay ad, possibly even less.
Old 04-11-2018 | 11:10 AM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by Dewinator
Next time don’t let them deliver it to your house, have them keep it at the dealership so you can get a look at it before driving it off the lot.
I think you missed the part about the car was sold in New York and the buyer is in LA.

Quick Reply: Would you buy a "PCNA Display Vehicle" (aka "Press Vehicle")?