Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you buy a "PCNA Display Vehicle" (aka "Press Vehicle")?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 07:13 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by sautan
Lack of experience and thought it was great deal. Jump into it right away. meantime, never heard of rennlist until this morning.

Spend $140K without research? It's your $$.

Somehow you found Rennlist when you have an issue. I like to minimize my risks and do research before the fact. Anyway, if not happy demand to have it sent back and get your $$ back. Get an attorney and send them a letter if they don't accommodate.

This car has been passed around the brothel for 4K miles and driven hard if you get my drift.
Old 04-09-2018, 07:15 PM
STG
Race Director

Manhattan Motorcars?
Old 04-09-2018, 07:24 PM
friar93
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Just my 2 cents so you dont panic.

1) if the contract states specifically that there is no damage- but there is- you should be compensated and there should be some protection. dont fall for the 'you knew it had 4k miles on it' excuse. Ive seen plenty of 4k mile cars that are immaculate so the mileage itself is not a reflection of condition but I bet the dealer tries to say that.
2) if the dealer is not playing ball then go to Porsche NA. As fat and happy as PNA is I would expect them to be responsive to dealer related issues and negativity. I had an experience with an Audi dealer that I went to Audi NA(advice from a different Audi dealer gave me) and they stepped in and trumped the dealer on the issue to the tune of $15k to make it right.

PS: your deal sounds just fine for a GTS assuming the car was delivered as represented.
Old 04-09-2018, 08:02 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,321 Likes on 614 Posts

Porsche press cars are like normal Porsches in at least two ways: They were built in the same factory and how good or bad the car is depends on who was driving it.

Whoever got my 987.2 Cayman S long-termer from Excellence got a great car. Reasonable miles per year (8000~, I think), never driven hard before the oil was up to temp, 2-3 track days, fresh brakes, fresh tires, no dings, no scratches, never-scraped front bumper, no curb rash, no interior damage, etc. Had I wanted one with PDK, I would not have hesitated. I would have purchased the 997 RS 4.0 "press car" (and wish I had, even though I didn't like its spec), as it only went to 3-5 people and that was it, and I knew all of them. I suspect there are other "press cars" like that out there. Then there are press fleet cars, and while Porsche is more careful about who gets into its press cars these days, there are always those who view press cars as an opportunity rather than a privilege with responsibility.

So, I might buy a press car...if I knew who drove it and how it was used. And that info is rarely available. When I knew the GT4 was going to go, I saw the red base 991.2 seen in the Motor Trend video at my dealership. It had been purchased at auction. I had driven it, and had a memorable drive in it, and it was a sweetheart. Still looked good, but...I didn't know who else had been in it. Thought about it...but decided I didn't want a red one (which made the decision easier). 4,000 miles isn't much for a press car. They used to let them go to 10,000-15,000 (I think it is lower now), and I saw one 996 Turbo with 20,000+ miles, so maybe this car was used for shows and/or an exec.

The best advice on this thread is probably to buy it only if you're cool with moving it on before the warranty is up—if the car turns out to be a great car and a keeper, then that's a bonus. Or, pay more for a car that isn't a mystery.
Old 04-09-2018, 08:13 PM
STG
Race Director

There are also the Porsche driving experience cars that they track and others they haul around the country for dealer track days. Reality is, you have no clue how the car was/wasn't driven.

I would never buy a fleet rental car either.

Not trying to be doom and gloom, but as long as a potential buyer has the info they can make their own choice.

Just get irritated by terms like "executive driven". Like what the hell is that? What does that insinuate?? Some white collar goof is supposedly easy on cars??

How about, "pervert driven", "drug dealer driven", "grandma driven", "fast & furious driven", "woman driven", etc....
Old 04-09-2018, 08:22 PM
koala
Three Wheelin'

Received 540 Likes on 316 Posts

I had a BMW Z4 M Coupe press car as a lease. $640 a month on a 3 year lease for what, at the time, would have been north of $1,100 CAD. What a great bargain it was.
Old 04-09-2018, 08:23 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by koala
I had a BMW Z4 M Coupe press car as a lease. $640 a month on a 3 year lease for what, at the time, would have been north of $1,100 CAD. What a great bargain it was.

Good deal, although a lease is one step above a rental. You're not married to it.
Old 04-09-2018, 08:50 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,321 Likes on 614 Posts

Originally Posted by koala
And how did it perform? Any problems? Etc?

I agree with the above: You have to move carefully with these, and they present risks new cars don't. They may also present more risk than the average used car...but that average used car might be worse than a particular press car.
Old 04-09-2018, 10:14 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by sautan
Lack of experience and thought it was great deal. Jump into it right away. meantime, I forgot about rennlist after signed up And I cannot create any new post too.

Good luck and keep us posted. They clearly misrepresented the condition of the vehicle.
Old 04-09-2018, 10:59 PM
koala
Three Wheelin'

Received 540 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
And how did it perform? Any problems? Etc?

I agree with the above: You have to move carefully with these, and they present risks new cars don't. They may also present more risk than the average used car...but that average used car might be worse than a particular press car.
It was fantastic. Free maintenance while I owned it, literally zero out of pocket costs beyond lease payments, fuel and insurance.

I should have bought it out in retrospect but I was convinced I needed a new car every two or three years
Old 04-10-2018, 02:32 AM
sautan
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At this point, I am just checking opinions and how should I deal with it because it's out of state and just in case thing goes side way. I am not going to disclose who and which dealership at this point. I am not here to bad mouth anyone.

Last edited by sautan; 04-10-2018 at 02:50 AM.
Old 04-10-2018, 07:51 AM
white6speed
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 116 Posts

I feel for you as I had a similar deal 5-6 years ago with an X5. The reality is you got a used car that was not "pre-owned". Good luck. Situation is exacerbated by NY/CA.
Old 04-10-2018, 08:22 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 708 Likes on 323 Posts

Any pics of the car?
Old 04-10-2018, 09:00 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 708 Likes on 323 Posts

Burmester, extended natural leather, LEDs...sounds like a nice build!
Old 04-10-2018, 12:33 PM
jungkim1234
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I would pass also. I love and respect cars, but that being said, I know how I treat loaners and rentals on the street. Imagine if I had a track, free tires, and a limited time in the car to burn as well.

This brings up an interesting question/ possible survey. Does anyone who has owned a Porsche diving experience, or press car LONG TERM want to chime in? Someone brought up a good point that they are well taken care of, but they are also driven hard, every day. I'd be interested to see their long term reliability and oil burn issues. For all I know and hope, these cars survive that kind of treatment with no long term effects, but who knows?

Quick Reply: Would you buy a "PCNA Display Vehicle" (aka "Press Vehicle")?