Sponsored by:

991 Vorsteiner Diffuser Installed

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 10:59 PM
gbree
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Buteo
Sorry didn't see your post until today. I ran out and snapped a few from the garage, not the greatest quality. http://imgur.com/a/3e3J1
Looks great!
Old 02-28-2016, 11:07 PM
Green_Hornet
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the excellent write up and photos! It looks fantastic on your car.

2 Things

The 991 GTS rides a fair amount lower than the Carrera. Would this cause enough rubbing issues to render it more trouble than it's worth?

I come from the Lotus world. Carbon diffusers discolored and broke down quickly. Gold foil heat shielding helped but did not cure the problems. Many of us moved to aluminum to cure the problem.

Do you feel that some form of shielding would work in this application?

Thanks...
Old 02-28-2016, 11:19 PM
gbree
Racer

Originally Posted by Green_Hornet
Thanks for the excellent write up and photos! It looks fantastic on your car. 2 Things The 991 GTS rides a fair amount lower than the Carrera. Would this cause enough rubbing issues to render it more trouble than it's worth? I come from the Lotus world. Carbon diffusers discolored and broke down quickly. Gold foil heat shielding helped but did not cure the problems. Many of us moved to aluminum to cure the problem. Do you feel that some form of shielding would work in this application? Thanks...
I have SPASM, so the ride height you see in the pictures is the same as your GTS. I have not had any issues scraping.

Hopefully there is no issue with discoloring or deterioration. You could definitely use some kind of shielding if that is a concern.
Old 02-28-2016, 11:19 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,190 Likes on 715 Posts

Thanks for the excellent write up and photos! It looks fantastic on your car.

2 Things

The 991 GTS rides a fair amount lower than the Carrera. Would this cause enough rubbing issues to render it more trouble than it's worth?

I come from the Lotus world. Carbon diffusers discolored and broke down quickly. Gold foil heat shielding helped but did not cure the problems. Many of us moved to aluminum to cure the problem.

Do you feel that some form of shielding would work in this application?

Thanks...
This is what airwar is complaining about in post # 39
Old 02-28-2016, 11:30 PM
gbree
Racer

Some better shots:

The following users liked this post:
SDM5 (12-04-2022)
Old 02-28-2016, 11:51 PM
Green_Hornet
Racer

Damn... That looks fantastic !!!
Old 02-29-2016, 01:37 AM
Buteo
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

Damn... That looks fantastic !!!
Agreed. Looks great with the guards red.
Old 02-29-2016, 07:27 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,190 Likes on 715 Posts

gbree - have you noticed any type of engine temperature increase with the Vorsteiner installed due to the fact that the bottom of the engine bay is now "closed up" with the diffuser?
Old 02-29-2016, 09:18 AM
gbree
Racer

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
gbree - have you noticed any type of engine temperature increase with the Vorsteiner installed due to the fact that the bottom of the engine bay is now "closed up" with the diffuser?
I have not, and I have run the car very hard. The exhaust isn't covered, which helps a lot.
Old 03-01-2016, 08:22 PM
omfs27
7th Gear

Sorry didn't see your post until today. I ran out and snapped a few from the garage, not the greatest quality.

http://imgur.com/a/3e3J1
Thanks for the efforts!
I have a Sports Design Ductail which I don't think the diffuser will look good on.

It does look perfect on the Aero kit.
Old 03-05-2016, 05:23 PM
oc997
Racer

Somewhat of an odd first post...
Agreed looks like he created a user profile just to bash a sponsor here.
Old 03-05-2016, 06:30 PM
VorsteinerNA
Advanced

Originally Posted by gbree
I know many of you have probably seen my post on the 991 RL facebook page, but this thread is intended to serve as a source of photos for those who use a search engine in order to find pictures of this part installed.

I would first like to say that this piece came packaged VERY well. It was in an oversized box with copious packing material to ensure that it was not damaged during shipment. I had previously bought a diffuser from another knock-off company, and it arrived broken. They stated that this had happened to 4 other orders, suggesting that they just don't care enough to take the time to ensure proper packaging. I also had to file a paypal claim against this company to get my money back. I wont list the name, but I'm sure you all can figure it out. The Vorsteiner diffuser is also composed of very high quality carbon fiber. The weave is very small and there are no waves in the finished product. On the other hand, the knockoff diffuser was extremely wavy and the weave was gigantic. It might have looked okay from 20 feet away, but it was very poor quality up close. Also, the Vorsteiner diffuser is composed entirely of carbon fiber, the knockoff piece is a plastic mold with a single sheet of carbon fiber laid over it. In the end, I'm lucky that one arrived broken and I got my money back. That being said, I would strongly recommend all of you to steer clear of knockoff Vorsteiner diffusers. Not sure what I was thinking in the first place. A car like this deserves the highest quality parts.

Here are some photos of the diffuser itself:

The installation was very straightforward, yet challenging. The hardest part was definitely removing the stock rear valence. The two trim pieces that go over the exhaust just refuse to come off. After probably an hour of prying, my friend and I finally completed the task.

After removing the stock valence, we held up the Vorsteiner diffuser in order to figure out where we needed to drill a hole for the oil drain plug. As you can see in the photos above, the diffuser does not allow you to drain the oil if it is installed. My solution was to use a 2.25" hole saw to provide a location for the oil to drain while keeping the diffuser installed. The hole should be approximately 3 3/8" over and 6" back (you can figure out the orientation by looking at my pictures).

Here is a photo of the hole cut into the diffuser:

I chose to leave the bumper on for the install, while many people will suggest that you remove it. It is obviously doable this way, but it is very difficult. The tabs on the Vorsteiner diffuser are not the best quality, which is my only complaint about the piece. They are a bit large, which makes it difficult to clip them into the stock location. Couple that with not being able to get your hand behind the bumper and provide some resistance and you're looking at a tricky install. I actually ended up breaking one of the tabs (luckily, it was the least vital one and it did not end up causing any ill-effects). After that, I stepped back and reassessed the situation. My solution was to use a hairdryer to head up the bumper, thus making it a bit my pliable, and the diffuser clipped right in.

Here are some photos of my buddy finishing up the install:

Overall, I am very happy with the piece. I'm even happier that its the real thing and not a knock off; that would be almost cringe worthy in my eyes, as I am very meticulous. It is a bit aggressive, but it has grown on me. The nice thing is that it is 100% reversible, so if I get tired of it I will just throw the stock valence back on.

Here are photos before the installation for the sake of comparison:

Congrats the car looks complete and the carbon with red paint creates a fantastic contrast.
Old 03-05-2016, 06:34 PM
VorsteinerNA
Advanced

Originally Posted by airwar
So I purchased my complete Vorsteiner V-GT kit for my 991 exactly one year ago today. After a year of driving and putting on around 30k miles in that year, my Vorsteiner diffuser is showing signs of decay and dissolving. Apparently they state that they tested these units for 100k miles (total lie) as it turns out - the engine heats up and causes the rear diffuser to heat and cool repeatedly - this won't last more than 25k miles in even the most agreeable weather conditions.

Splitting and shredding originally started 2 months ago. They said that it would not fall apart and that it was safe to use. Two months after that official statement by them, as of this morning it has just split completely in two. They also stated that they would honor factory warranty, however have not fulfilled in doing so with countless excuses and derailed questions unrelated to anything regarding this matter (talking of how busy they are, how they are looking into the matter, how they are researching other sales and warranty claims).
No 'research' they exhibited proved to accomplish anything. I am now sorting legal action after 2 months o useless attempts to resolve this peacefully and fairly and am in the process of filing a class action against them in case you are unaware of this or have experienced this sort of issue yourself. If you have experienced this, please make sure to have proof on hand as it will be required moving forward. Reach out to me on here for additional details.
Sorry to hear of this and I would be glad to step in here and take care of this for you.

We pride ourselves on our quality and warranty and as long as you have an original Vorsteiner product we will 100% standby the part against any manufacturing defect at all and we will replace the part at no cost to our customers.

Please send an email to info@vorsteiner.com so I can assist on taking care of your case for you immediately.
Old 03-05-2016, 08:12 PM
VorsteinerNA
Advanced

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
now that it looks like the 991R has a rear diffuser ... might be 'plug n play' OEM component!
Our rear diffuser is principally the same as the factory 911R rear diffuser under panel expect our version replaces the original rear as well.

It's too early to tell whether the 911R version would be compatible with the 991 carrera models as it has different rear bumpers and mounting points underneath.
Old 03-05-2016, 08:14 PM
VorsteinerNA
Advanced

Originally Posted by Drifting
Congrats on the diffuser install. It looks fantastic!

I must admit I would like to do something like this for my GT3, but with how low the GT3 sits, and center exhaust, I'm not sure that would work.
We are currently working on a 991 GT3 diffuser which is quite similar and also a RS design wing and deck lid.

Quick Reply: 991 Vorsteiner Diffuser Installed