991 Vorsteiner Diffuser Installed

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 10:24 PM
gbree
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Default 991 Vorsteiner Diffuser Installed

PM ME TO FIND THE BEST PRICE ON THIS PART

I know many of you have probably seen my post on the 991 RL facebook page, but this thread is intended to serve as a source of photos for those who use a search engine in order to find pictures of this part installed.

I would first like to say that this piece came packaged VERY well. It was in an oversized box with copious packing material to ensure that it was not damaged during shipment. I had previously bought a diffuser from another knock-off company, and it arrived broken. They stated that this had happened to 4 other orders, suggesting that they just don't care enough to take the time to ensure proper packaging. I also had to file a paypal claim against this company to get my money back. I wont list the name, but I'm sure you all can figure it out. The Vorsteiner diffuser is also composed of very high quality carbon fiber. The weave is very small and there are no waves in the finished product. On the other hand, the knockoff diffuser was extremely wavy and the weave was gigantic. It might have looked okay from 20 feet away, but it was very poor quality up close. Also, the Vorsteiner diffuser is composed entirely of carbon fiber, the knockoff piece is a plastic mold with a single sheet of carbon fiber laid over it. In the end, I'm lucky that one arrived broken and I got my money back. That being said, I would strongly recommend all of you to steer clear of knockoff Vorsteiner diffusers. Not sure what I was thinking in the first place. A car like this deserves the highest quality parts.

Here are some photos of the diffuser itself:

The installation was very straightforward, yet challenging. The hardest part was definitely removing the stock rear valence. The two trim pieces that go over the exhaust just refuse to come off. After probably an hour of prying, my friend and I finally completed the task.

After removing the stock valence, we held up the Vorsteiner diffuser in order to figure out where we needed to drill a hole for the oil drain plug. As you can see in the photos above, the diffuser does not allow you to drain the oil if it is installed. My solution was to use a 2.25" hole saw to provide a location for the oil to drain while keeping the diffuser installed. The hole should be approximately 3 3/8" over and 6" back (you can figure out the orientation by looking at my pictures).

Here is a photo of the hole cut into the diffuser:

I chose to leave the bumper on for the install, while many people will suggest that you remove it. It is obviously doable this way, but it is very difficult. The tabs on the Vorsteiner diffuser are not the best quality, which is my only complaint about the piece. They are a bit large, which makes it difficult to clip them into the stock location. Couple that with not being able to get your hand behind the bumper and provide some resistance and you're looking at a tricky install. I actually ended up breaking one of the tabs (luckily, it was the least vital one and it did not end up causing any ill-effects). After that, I stepped back and reassessed the situation. My solution was to use a hairdryer to head up the bumper, thus making it a bit my pliable, and the diffuser clipped right in.

Here are some photos of my buddy finishing up the install:

Overall, I am very happy with the piece. I'm even happier that its the real thing and not a knock off; that would be almost cringe worthy in my eyes, as I am very meticulous. It is a bit aggressive, but it has grown on me. The nice thing is that it is 100% reversible, so if I get tired of it I will just throw the stock valence back on.

Here are photos before the installation for the sake of comparison:

Last edited by gbree; 09-11-2017 at 07:27 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by gbree:
napguy (03-28-2020), SDM5 (12-04-2022)
Old 02-17-2016, 10:30 PM
fastdiablo
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

not sure i would want to deal with the drain plug issue, but looks pretty cool, and I was a major skeptic. nice work!
Old 02-17-2016, 10:34 PM
gbree
Racer

Originally Posted by fastdiablo
not sure i would want to deal with the drain plug issue, but looks pretty cool, and I was a major skeptic. nice work!
It was actually the easiest part of the whole process. Thanks!
Old 02-17-2016, 10:36 PM
Mlbraptor
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good Job. Looks very cool.
Old 02-17-2016, 10:37 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Great write up. The more I see the more I like. Mind posting a few pics of the before?

Would be nice to see on the same car for reference.

It does blend in well and doesn't scream "aftermarket". A great compliment.
Old 02-17-2016, 10:39 PM
STG
Race Director

After all, here's a nice carbon diffuser as well!!

A lot of the high end exotics have rear carbon diffusers too.
Old 02-17-2016, 10:51 PM
gbree
Racer

Originally Posted by STG991
Great write up. The more I see the more I like. Mind posting a few pics of the before?

Would be nice to see on the same car for reference.

It does blend in well and doesn't scream "aftermarket". A great compliment.
Thanks! I added some pics of the stock valence to the original post
Old 02-17-2016, 11:10 PM
STG
Race Director

Comparing the two, the new diffuser definitely gives the rear a more polished/sporty look. Especially with the Aerokit Cup package.

Old 02-17-2016, 11:12 PM
gbree
Racer

Comparing the two, the new diffuser definitely gives the rear a more polished look.
I agree. I like that you don't see the silver tube under the car anymore. I'm not quite sure what it is. Maybe the EGR line? Never took the time to check it out.
Old 02-17-2016, 11:16 PM
STG
Race Director

Thank goodness you didn't get stuck with that other knock off. Would have been money down the drain. It's definitely cheaper in the long run doing it right the first time.

Not to mention, that one cuts short just in front of the mufflers. Imagine the air that thing catches at speed. The Vorsteiner is more aerodynamic.

The old piece Vorsteiner made for the 997 was shorter and they found out it hampered top end speed, hence going with a full piece that encloses the whole bottom.
Old 02-17-2016, 11:22 PM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Comparing the two, the new diffuser definitely gives the rear a more polished/sporty look. Especially with the Aerokit Cup package.
I agree. But I think it needs the Aerokit package to balance it out a bit. I don't feel it would look as nice on a standard car. (Like mine. ) Great work!
Old 02-17-2016, 11:33 PM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Received 126 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by BradB
I agree. But I think it needs the Aerokit package to balance it out a bit. I don't feel it would look as nice on a standard car. (Like mine. ) Great work!
^^^^ I think this only works with the aerokit cup kit. Without I think it would look imbalanced, too aggressive down below and too smooth up top.

With that being said, if you ever decide to let it go, PM me
Old 02-17-2016, 11:37 PM
STG
Race Director

The following users liked this post:
Viper1000 (01-29-2022)
Old 02-18-2016, 12:27 AM
Vista6019
Rennlist Member

Received 370 Likes on 149 Posts

Looks fantastic. Nice job
Old 02-18-2016, 12:48 AM
PatrickC23
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice, what's the white car? Looks like e46 wheels on an e90 almost.

Quick Reply: 991 Vorsteiner Diffuser Installed