Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SPASM ride quality?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 09:49 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

LOL, why would it be sacrilege of you to love a 928S4? Nowadays, that's a tiny, svelte sports car compared to a 991.

Great cars still, fantastic in their day.

My thoughts on SPASM: perfect for me -- I run with the shock-button OFF even when using SPORT+ button, except when I'm on smooth roads in the mountains and want the firmer suspension. For regular street driving where I'm not pegging the G-Force meter, I'm happier with the shock turned off.

When my wife is riding with me (not all that often, we usually take her car) I would prefer it be a little smoother. But honestly, I don't know that regular PASM on the taller springs would help matters enough to make it worth it.

Again, I'm speaking only of my wife's preference; she's strictly a Grand Cherokee, ML350 kinda girl where ride is concerned.
Old 02-15-2016, 10:01 AM
Slantnose!
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 991 vs 928 vs Corvette...

Well, the 991 is bigger than a 928 and also with SPASM, will ride rougher...however, no where near as bad as a C4 Corvette.
Old 02-15-2016, 10:16 AM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by CSK 911 C4S

Find a car with SPASM along with PDCC and WOW hold on.

YES! ..with this rarely specced but IMO magical combo, rapid left right left transitions on tight speedy winding roads which are numerous here in Northern California are amazingly lean free and therefore feel " laughing out loudly " as if the car is banking into each direction change !

I had PASM with PDCC on my prior 991 C4S which gave some of that sensation , but the combo of S-PASM with PDCC is on a WHOLE 'nother level for brisk mountain / canyon drives with lots of switchbacks or " S " curves.

OTOH , if you live someplace like flat , straight Florida , you'd never feel that and would most likely be wasting your moolah.

with regard to the orig question of this post, coming from a C4S with PASM / PDCC , I find the firmer but NOT harsher or noisier ride at baseline to be MORE comfortable with the S-PASM / PDCC as the bounciness of the former is gone .
In Sport mode, same differences .

But be cautioned that much of MY ride observations may be due to the PDCC's unique ability to decouple its electrohydraulic ( similar action as the PASM shocks ) sway bar drop links when going straight ahead and therefore give a smoother ride as stated per Porsche literature as opposed to non-PDCC equipped PASM or S- PASM models where the swaybars are always old - school connected and influencing each side so that jostles of one tire on a bump in the road affect the entire axle / other tire and the " seat of the pants " jiggles and jolts felt by the driver in between.

Last edited by MKW; 02-15-2016 at 11:08 AM.
Old 02-15-2016, 01:45 PM
gusp
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same setup.... C2S, PDK, Sport Chrono, SPASM. I like being lower and it only gets really stiff when you push the button. Overall, the ride quality is fine in both the city and on the highway. I like the front lip and it gets a lot of compliments. I've only lost it once (hit it on the cement parking space block but it doesn't take long to learn not to pull in that far). It was under $200 to replace and snapped right back on in about 30 seconds.
Old 02-15-2016, 04:00 PM
arlan in arizona
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am a newer member and just ordered a 991.2. I chose not to get SPASM and after reading this thread I wish I could do it over again and get it. Oh well. Hopefully my new and first Porsche will be all I hope it to be.

It would be nice to be 10MM lower. Damn.
Old 02-15-2016, 04:37 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

SPASM is great. If having the option to buy a used one with it or ordering a new 991.2, go for it.

As an FYI, not available on cabs!

PASM is also standard on 991.2 base models now. Sport-PASM is optional on all coupe models.
Old 02-15-2016, 05:01 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by STG991
SPASM is great. If having the option to buy a used one with it or ordering a new 991.2, go for it.

As an FYI, not available on cabs!
Or Targas either, I think.
Old 02-15-2016, 05:33 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
Or Targas either, I think.
Correct! No SPASM Targa's
Old 02-15-2016, 06:00 PM
MagicRat
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by STG991
Correct! No SPASM Targa's
But you can get the DSC module for both targas and cabs (and probably 991.2s). I have it on my PDCC cab and it's insane. Lots more feel for the road and the corner speed it allows is ridiculous, especially in esses. Does make the car feel a little firmer, so maybe similar to a S-PASM feel. Highly recommended...
Old 02-15-2016, 06:05 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by MagicRat
But you can get the DSC module for both targas and cabs (and probably 991.2s). I have it on my PDCC cab and it's insane. Lots more feel for the road and the corner speed it allows is ridiculous, especially in esses. Does make the car feel a little firmer, so maybe similar to a S-PASM feel. Highly recommended...
Nice! I've heard many good things about it.

But to point out to others, it does not lower the car.
Old 02-15-2016, 06:16 PM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MagicRat
be aware , though , that factory S-PASM ( -20 mm " ) has shorter stiffer springs importantly matched to smaller piston-travel range stiffer PASM shocks as well as stiffer sway bar bushings AND different front lower A arms ( coffin arms ) vs the PASM ( -10mm ) and base ( " 0 "' mm ) 991.1 suspensions ...and at $800 is , imo , by far the best bang-for-the -buck priced option of any sort in all Porschedom.

away from track situations , as I mentioned earlier , the additional $3200 for adding PDCC may be wasted money , though, if you live where there are no public roads with rapid steering wheel see-saw switchbacks where there is little time for the susp to take a set like on long single direction high-g turns or loops

Last edited by MKW; 02-15-2016 at 06:37 PM.
Old 02-15-2016, 07:18 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by titleistaddict87
SPASM + PDCC here and love it. Normal mode is comfortable and the missus and I have driven up to 2 hours on CA highways in this mode and neither of us has had any complaints. Sport is great for firming up the ride and a little more feedback but totally livable. Sport plus is obviously even firmer and really fun for the twisties, back roads, and canyon runs. Personally, I usually run in either normal (commute, tooling around) or sport plus. I don't find myself hitting Sport much.
There are only two modes for PASM Sport, Normal or Sport. Sport plus does not put PASM into a third, even firmer mode.
Old 02-15-2016, 08:05 PM
Supermode
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
There are only two modes for PASM Sport, Normal or Sport. Sport plus does not put PASM into a third, even firmer mode.
This is 100% correct.
Old 02-16-2016, 12:02 AM
Scottish Pete
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I intentionally left PASM Sport off my order for a 2015 C2S with PDCC. PASM sport adds stiffer and shorter springs and heavier anti-roll bars. Since Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control has four hydraulic actuators independently stiffening and softening each end of the anti-roll bars, and therefore relaxing them entirely while cruising straight ahead, I felt Sport PASM would defeat the purpose of a smoother ride for long distance cruising on California's roads when not on a winding road.
With normal PASM and PDCC the car still feels as if the rear is set in concrete on curvy roads. I love the go-kart feel. Yet in 14,000 miles I have no scratches on my front spoiler, nor do I have to approach driveways at an angle. I can not really see the extra 3/8" (10mm) lowered stance over the PASM normal.
Admittedly I do not track my car and value a reasonable freeway ride. This is my third 911 over a 45 year period so as an aging old geezer I may not use my car's capabilities that much. Your results may vary . . .
Old 02-16-2016, 02:26 PM
MKW
Rennlist Member

one thing I forgot to mention, and this is important , is that all my comments on this thread regarding handling and ride quality of my previous 991C4S PASM / PDCC and my current 991 GTS Club Coupe Sport PASM / PDCC are all experienced with tires set at factory wide body " part load " and " comfort " settings of 30/33 psi on oem Pirelli PZero " N0 " gen 1 tires

OTOH, if you fill the tires to their " autobahn max speed " door jamb tire info decal pressures of 36/44 psi specc'd for all 991.1 models whether base 3.4l to S to GTS, whether base susp , PASM susp , S-PASM suso and with or w/ PDCC , these oem tires' thrumming and roaring noise is very very much increased even when brand new and their ride is " wooden " , to be kind .

Tire Rack has the 991.2 second generation's PZero " N1 " now and most importantly for the rear wide body models , the 305s also , in stock ..same sized tires front and back as for 991.1 ...I'm surprised there is no feedback of these on our gen 1 models yet .

Quick Reply: SPASM ride quality?