Sponsored by:

What did you buy your 991 today thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 02:37 PM
koala
Rennlist Member

Received 539 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by midwesterner
Wow, this looks great. Was it hard to get the lettering centered? Also, where did you purchase the lettering from? This is on my list of to-dos.
I've read a great tip on doing this yourself - line all of the chrome badges in painters tape, so that you have the outline of them once you peel them off with fishing line / dental floss. This is how I might try it.
Old 02-22-2018, 02:46 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by koala
I've read a great tip on doing this yourself - line all of the chrome badges in painters tape, so that you have the outline of them once you peel them off with fishing line / dental floss. This is how I might try it.
I helped someone with this recently. Placed a piece of cardboard over the letters and pressed down hard enough to get a good imprint. Drew lines and cut with an exacto knife. BAM - template. Painters tape evenly across the top. Once letters were off places another piece of tape just below to lower the placement since we were going to from 2 lines of lettering to one. BAM. Easy peasy.
Old 02-22-2018, 02:48 PM
koala
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by R_Rated
I helped someone with this recently. Placed a piece of cardboard over the letters and pressed down hard enough to get a good imprint. Drew lines and cut with an exacto knife. BAM - template. Painters tape evenly across the top. Once letters were off places another piece of tape just below to lower the placement since we were going to from 2 lines of lettering to one. BAM. Easy peasy.
Nice! I like your method even better as I'm going to go to the one line as well.
Old 02-22-2018, 03:04 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Nice! I like your method even better as I'm going to go to the one line as well.
Also - my dealer claims to not have a template... however - that is a ignorance... all dealers do. You could also ask to borrow theirs and just put the letters on in their parking lot if they let you borrow it.
Old 02-22-2018, 03:06 PM
SBARacing
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Papa Fittig
Magnagrafik black decals. These are magnetic and easily go on and off.
Without:

With:

yea or nay?
yea...
i love that added detail look.
Old 02-22-2018, 03:09 PM
koala
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by R_Rated
Also - my dealer claims to not have a template... however - that is a ignorance... all dealers do. You could also ask to borrow theirs and just put the letters on in their parking lot if they let you borrow it.
I've heard a lot of dealers do not actually have every template as they're quite expensive. Either way, you're probably right
Old 02-22-2018, 03:17 PM
dsh
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

X51 Powerkit!

Last edited by dsh; 02-22-2018 at 06:06 PM.
Old 02-22-2018, 05:15 PM
sessionstu
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by midwesterner
Wow, this looks great. Was it hard to get the lettering centered? Also, where did you purchase the lettering from? This is on my list of to-dos.
I think the black lettering looks great on lighter color cars: white, silver, chalk, blue, red. Not so great on black, Agate Grey, etc.

I outlined the letter with blue painter's tape. Used a heat gun to soften up the adhesive. Used some thin thread (no dental floss in the house) to remove the chrome lettering. Then used some Goop Be Gone to remove the residue. Pretty simple to attach the black lettering at that point. Plus there should be a faint black outline of where the original lettering was. The black lettering will hide the residue so no big deal.

I did the 911 lettering first, but it actuality, I should have done it last. It was easier to line up the Porsche lettering. All of the Porsche letters have straight lines.

Make sure to outline and remove one letter at a time. Don't try to remove everything at once. The letters come on a sheet but they're not spaced correctly. Not like replacing a Range Rover front badge. Those badges are peel and stick. Not this one.
Old 02-22-2018, 05:42 PM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

I've heard a lot of dealers do not actually have every template as they're quite expensive. Either way, you're probably right
Dealers may not have all of the lettering combinations, sure. But they likely have at least the template holder...

There are two parts -- the holder that drapes over the rear cover, and the lettering template "block" that fits into the holder. If I recall, the holder must secure to the upper edge of the cover at bolt points to hang precisely where the factory initially mounts the lettering. I priced-out the two parts long time ago from Suncoast, and here is what I was quoted:
000 721 986 70 9867 Logo Template $512.78
000 721 986 74 9867/4 Exchangeable insert, 991 Carrera 4/4S $174.96
First part is the holder -- the second part was specific to the lettering combination for my '14 C4S. Each lettering combo I am assuming would cost you $174.96 but I didn't price them all out.
Old 02-22-2018, 06:23 PM
4pipes
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

You’re better off asking at local Porsche certified body shops in your area. That’s where I found the template.
Old 02-22-2018, 08:22 PM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 541 Likes on 337 Posts

I've done it by placing a strip of blue (painters) tape lined up to the top and another row of tape underneath the existing lettering and then marked the left & right points of each letter on the lower pc of tape with a pencil. Pull the old letters with floss and clean carefully and place the new ones centering on the left/right marks and square to the bottom row of tape. I've done it that way twice now and it's come out fine. This pre-supposes you have the old letters there to work with. If no existing then you need to go measure another car.
Old 02-23-2018, 12:22 AM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by SBARacing
yea...
i love that added detail look.

Thanks. I am still looking for more opinions on the black decals looks. Perhaps a better image

What say you? Thanks.

Last edited by Papa Fittig; 02-23-2018 at 02:24 AM.
Old 02-23-2018, 08:25 AM
SBARacing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Papa Fittig

Thanks. I am still looking for more opinions on the black decals looks. Perhaps a better image

What say you? Thanks.
did you find that it hold well in high speeds?
would you recommend it from a technical perspective?
i also like their black with red Porsche, but I think it’s only with a gloss black.
Old 02-23-2018, 12:14 PM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Received 134 Likes on 84 Posts

It comes in Matt-Black.
Magnetic Stone Guard in Matt-Black
Old 02-23-2018, 12:16 PM
SBARacing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sidvicious7
It comes in Matt-Black.
Magnetic Stone Guard in Matt-Black
wow, I love that one.
Do you have it on yours or is that a web pic?

Quick Reply: What did you buy your 991 today thread