Sponsored by:

What did you buy your 991 today thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 01:43 PM
Johnny5Alive
Burning Brakes

Received 327 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by qtong
I have a bit of Aeronautical Eng. background so perhaps I can provide some input. Yes, the balance will be off. The Vorsteiner wing was probably modeled to be a bit like the GT3-RS wing. However, the Vorsteiner wing has an angle of attack that is a bit different from the RS. Based on the pictures, it points down a bit more which would result in quite a bit more down force.

To compound the issue, the GT3 and GT3 RS cars have a different bumper that creates enough down force to achieve the force distribution that the Porsche engineers felt was appropriate. The non GT3/RS cars do not have that bumper. Even the Turbo has the front lip bumper that deploys at high speed to compensate for the effects of drag/down force. That is why Porsche doesn't want to sell the Aerokit wing without selling the matching front bumper. They don't even want to sell the sport spoiler lip to cars without Sport PASM!

To sum it all up, your front end does not have an adequate amount of down force to compensate for that wing. At high speed, your steering may be affected. Go even faster, and the car will do the acrobatic back flip that you see in some Indy/F1/etc races. At what speed I don't know, but at some point, the down force of that wing will surely cause most of the force to go toward the rear of the car.

For Joe Schmoes like me that only does spirited drives on the windy country back roads, probably no biggy. For guys that drive at speed, I would be very cautious/nervous.
Interesting! What do you think of the vorsteiner carbon baby duck lip paired with their carbon front lip spoiler? I figured since my car was originally PASM and the spoiler raises to a lesser angle that pairing these up would balance out. Car is lowered w techart but I assume all of this makes negligible difference
Old 08-16-2017, 02:05 PM
Capt_and
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny5Alive
Interesting! What do you think of the vorsteiner carbon baby duck lip paired with their carbon front lip spoiler? I figured since my car was originally PASM and the spoiler raises to a lesser angle that pairing these up would balance out. Car is lowered w techart but I assume all of this makes negligible difference
Without a doubt, a much safer bet. It will have more negligible effects than the big wing. When in doubt stay conservative with the aero particularly on the back. I think it is safer to have more down force on the front than the back since that is the side the steers the car and it's much harder to do a front flip. If done to the extreme where the front has most of the force, you will just lose traction on the rear and spin out.

I don't think Vorsteiner would sell something that they think would make cars do back flips but I also doubt that they do any computer simulations or calculations.
Old 08-16-2017, 02:42 PM
Bents
Rennlist Member

Received 596 Likes on 273 Posts

At high speed, your steering may be affected. Go even faster, and the car will do the acrobatic back flip that you see in some Indy/F1/etc races. At what speed I don't know, but at some point, the down force of that wing will surely cause most of the force to go toward the rear of the car.

For Joe Schmoes like me that only does spirited drives on the windy country back roads, probably no biggy. For guys that drive at speed, I would be very cautious/nervous.
This is a tad extreme. How much downforce do you think this wing is generating? Even at incredible speeds there is not a chance a wing like this is going to backflip a 3400lb vehicle. It would crush its mounting points etc. well before that!
Old 08-16-2017, 02:56 PM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 119 Likes on 79 Posts

I think it is safer to have more down force on the front than the back since that is the side the steers the car and it's much harder to do a front flip.
This is exactly backwards. If you add downforce to the front, then at high speed the front will be more planted than the rear and the car will oversteer. If you add downforce at the rear, you get the opposite effect and at 150 mph+ you'd rather have a bit more understeer than oversteer.

In the Seventies when Porsche first introduced a front spoiler and the ducktail, the factory instruction was to use never use the front spoiler without the ducktail for the above reason.
Old 08-16-2017, 03:05 PM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 332 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by Valvefloat991
This is exactly backwards. If you add downforce to the front, then at high speed the front will be more planted than the rear and the car will oversteer. If you add downforce at the rear, you get the opposite effect and at 150 mph+ you'd rather have a bit more understeer than oversteer.

In the Seventies when Porsche first introduced a front spoiler and the ducktail, the factory instruction was to use never use the front spoiler without the ducktail for the above reason.
To help your point of view....
https://blackflag.jalopnik.com/sudde...y-v-1794984189

But ultimately....balanced is best.
Old 08-16-2017, 03:40 PM
Capt_and
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Bents
This is a tad extreme. How much downforce do you think this wing is generating? Even at incredible speeds there is not a chance a wing like this is going to backflip a 3400lb vehicle. It would crush its mounting points etc. well before that!
Yes, it is extreme and yes, I do think the wing would likely fall off before that happens. Like I said, it's unlikely but in extreme circumstances, it has happened, especially when the road is a little hilly. But you are right, more than likely, the wing just snaps off.

Originally Posted by Valvefloat991

It's not backwards, we are just talking about two different things. You are talking about oversteer/understeer. I am just talking about lift. Yes, they play hand in hand in 3 dimensions but I was simplifying it into 2d. I was just saying it is much easier to flip a car backwards than forward and given the choice, I would overload the front with down force instead of the rear.

Here is a video, watch as the car goes over the hill, the front lifts up ever so slightly which results in dramatically reduced down force on the front end. I would rather have the rear wing fall off and have not enough downforce on the rear and spin out like in the Jalopnik video instead of the front losing the down force and flipping like in this video:

You are right, there needs to be balance, which is also what my entire first response was about and as an example, I mentioned that Porsche won't sell the aerokit wing without the accompanying bumper, or sell the sport lip without the car having SPASM, or how the turbo has a front lip that deploys with the back at high speed.

Last edited by Capt_and; 08-16-2017 at 04:31 PM.
Old 08-16-2017, 03:53 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,406 Likes on 2,513 Posts

We leaned a couple days ago, to off-set the b i g a s s wing in the back, all you have to do is this:
Attached Images  
Old 08-16-2017, 08:16 PM
porscherex
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Philip Goughary
Love them. Common practice is to align them so that the bottom of the Porsche emblem points towards the valve stem covers.
The reason for aligning the point of the crest towards the value stem was to help the pit crew locate the value stem faster.
Old 08-16-2017, 08:28 PM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 119 Likes on 79 Posts

It's not backwards, we are just talking about two different things. You are talking about oversteer/understeer. I am just talking about lift. Yes, they play hand in hand in 3 dimensions but I was simplifying it into 2d. I was just saying it is much easier to flip a car backwards than forward and given the choice, I would overload the front with down force instead of the rear.
I understand your distinction, and you're correct that with only front downforce, you won't flip. But the additional downforce will increase steering gain and make the car very twitchy, so you will likely crash before you achieve top speed.

With excessive rear downforce, the car will be very stable and tend to go nice and straight--up until the point that it flips.

P.S. I don't think you have to worry much about flipping a street car.
Old 08-16-2017, 08:43 PM
Philip Goughary
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by porscherex
The reason for aligning the point of the crest towards the value stem was to help the pit crew locate the value stem faster.
One never knows when a quick stop in pit lane during those morning and afternoon commutes to and from the office might be necessary!

I point mine towards the valve stems for the fun of tradition (I should add not on 991s. I'm a Cayenne driving troll.. ...for now).

Last edited by Philip Goughary; 08-17-2017 at 09:38 AM.
Old 08-16-2017, 08:48 PM
feh
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

Love them. Common practice is to align them so that the bottom of the Porsche emblem points towards the valve stem covers.
One never knows when a quick stop in pit lane during those morning and afternoon commutes to and from the office might be necessary!

I point mine towards the valve stems for the fun of tradition.
I pointed mine towards the wheel lock, since it's harder to find than the stem.
Old 08-16-2017, 08:58 PM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by feh
Your wheel lock should always go opposite the valve stem.
Old 08-16-2017, 08:59 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,406 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Originally Posted by feh
I put the wheel lock opposite the valve stem, since the center caps can, and will, rotate/move.
Old 08-16-2017, 11:53 PM
Johnny5Alive
Burning Brakes

Received 327 Likes on 132 Posts

Loving the Vorsteiner
Old 08-17-2017, 04:26 AM
Oscarporsche
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by APristi
cool wing! did you have to have it reprogrammed via Piwis or was it a plug and play mod ?
Yes I had to reprogram the spoiler motor to a fixed wing mode via PIWIS. Then the rest is a plug and play.
One thing I have to mention is that my car came with SD ( ducktail spoiler ) XAT option, so I had to change the mounting bracket and install a retractable spoiler mounting bracket which comes with a motor. Then the Vorsteiner deck lid spoiler sits on the mounting bracket. Also, I had to cut the welded screws, which are onto the bracket surface, and use the ones provided by Vorsteiner to attach spoiler to the bracket. I have to say Vorsteiner instructions were not clear enough about how to attach the spoiler with those welded screws so I chose what I did.
As a future mod, I am looking into a way to have a manual switch where I can just switch the motor on/off (without using PIWIS) thus I can have access to the spoiler mounting bracket.

Originally Posted by Johnny5Alive
probably isn't enough. I believe vorsteiners front lip spoiler will attach to the sport design front bumper.

looking at that spoiler the bolts on the sides... do they allow for the big wing with carbon section to be removed so that you only have that duck piece?
I will look into the front lip spoiler…
yes … the big wing is easily removable and just leave the deck lid spoiler in place.
I have a bit of Aeronautical Eng. background so perhaps I can provide some input. Yes, the balance will be off. The Vorsteiner wing was probably modeled to be a bit like the GT3-RS wing. However, the Vorsteiner wing has an angle of attack that is a bit different from the RS. Based on the pictures, it points down a bit more which would result in quite a bit more down force.

To compound the issue, the GT3 and GT3 RS cars have a different bumper that creates enough down force to achieve the force distribution that the Porsche engineers felt was appropriate. The non GT3/RS cars do not have that bumper. Even the Turbo has the front lip bumper that deploys at high speed to compensate for the effects of drag/down force. That is why Porsche doesn't want to sell the Aerokit wing without selling the matching front bumper. They don't even want to sell the sport spoiler lip to cars without Sport PASM!

To sum it all up, your front end does not have an adequate amount of down force to compensate for that wing. At high speed, your steering may be affected. Go even faster, and the car will do the acrobatic back flip that you see in some Indy/F1/etc races. At what speed I don't know, but at some point, the down force of that wing will surely cause most of the force to go toward the rear of the car.

Thank you for this great input … this inspires me to read more about the subject.
R_Rated and Johnny5Alive pointed out that using a more aggressive front lip could balance it out .. do you think it will improve the balance for a track driving ? and how would I test it ? any indicators beside the back flip?

Quick Reply: What did you buy your 991 today thread