California Legacy plate

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 03:02 PM
CDH911C2S
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default California Legacy plate

I finally received my 1960's California Legacy plate---Black and Gold---

The plates are decent quality and if I believe the CA DMV still made in CA prisons?? I guess my tax dollars are working for me---

I ordered 3 plates (all with 911 theme's in the text body) Since mounting the plates on 3 cars (When I ordered the plates at the DMV they said I could just order without registering to a specific vehicle--not true)---I have gotten very positive feedback and questions from the public at large. Some people ask if I am referencing the events of 9/11--sad day in our history. Most get that 911 refers to the car. I know vanity plates are not for everyone, but I am enjoying.

On my 911 (that has yellow PCCB's) The black plate with yellow/gold letters look perfect, dare I say Custom----

I would love to post pics but I have been advised that is not smart----

Old 02-04-2016, 03:50 PM
Arcoril
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

You can order personalized plates without registering them to a vehicle via the website but they'll be revoked if they're not tied to a vehicle within a month or so, though you can file for an extension.

I've also got a plate that references 911, but everyone who's commented on it seems to get that it's about the car:

Old 02-04-2016, 04:05 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

^^ You should never have posted that on the internet because now...

PEOPLE CAN SEE THE PLATE ON YOUR CAR!!! Think of what could happen if the general public were to see your license plate AND your car at the same time! They would have all the information they needed to... well, to do terrible things to you, I'm sure!
Old 02-04-2016, 04:07 PM
CDH911C2S
Racer

Default nice

I had that exact plate on my Nevada based 911---

I think the DMV people make up the rules and apply as they see fit...I ordered the 3 plates on-line and they were sent to the DMV (of my choice) for Pick-up (which they had, then lost, then found,etc.)

I agree with your interpretation and that is how I read the rule as well--- but my "friendly" DMV manager said: "No".

I think if I had ordered and sent to AAA(which is an option) it would have been a non-issue.
The amount of paperwork and forms to "register" a car is perplexing.

I love California but the DMV is poorly run and inefficient in ways that defy any logic.

Great choice on plates
Old 02-04-2016, 04:12 PM
PatrickC23
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive actually always wondered why some people freak at the thought of posting your license plate in the forums. Yes I know identity theft, gleaning info to find out where you live etc. But how is that different from me parking my car on the street where anyone can just note my plate, or a guy on the road behind me or some random 911 lover that snaps a pic and decides to post it on the internet.

Is it just reducing the exposure to the possibility of something bad happening?

Note - I am a pretty paranoid person.
Old 02-04-2016, 04:57 PM
arlan in arizona
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Appropriate California License Plate. "CALL911" because "I don't have a GUN"!

[/QUOTE]
Old 02-04-2016, 05:50 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 167 Posts

Passed in 1994 and strengthened in 1999, the Driver's Privacy Protection Act says:
The DPPA requires all States to protect the privacy of personal information contained in an individual's motor vehicle record. This information includes the driver's name, address, phone number, Social Security Number, driver identification number, photograph, height, weight, gender, age, certain medical or disability information, and in some states, fingerprints.
In other words, if I've got your license plate number, I CANNOT look you up to find out who you are and where you live. (Unless I know a cop. )
Old 02-04-2016, 06:12 PM
CDH911C2S
Racer

Default good news

Originally Posted by Leader
Passed in 1994 and strengthened in 1999, the Driver's Privacy Protection Act says:
The DPPA requires all States to protect the privacy of personal information contained in an individual's motor vehicle record. This information includes the driver's name, address, phone number, Social Security Number, driver identification number, photograph, height, weight, gender, age, certain medical or disability information, and in some states, fingerprints.
In other words, if I've got your license plate number, I CANNOT look you up to find out who you are and where you live. (Unless I know a cop. )

Good to Hear---this makes sense.
Old 02-04-2016, 06:26 PM
Arcoril
Instructor

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker

PEOPLE CAN SEE THE PLATE ON YOUR CAR!!! Think of what could happen if the general public were to see your license plate AND your car at the same time! They would have all the information they needed to... well, to do terrible things to you, I'm sure!
Exactly! I probably drive past dozens of automated plate scanners and CCTV feeds on my commute each day. Hell, I've had strangers walk up to me in the parking lot, give me a thumbs up, take a picture, and then show off to me that they put it up on their Instagram feed. Not too worried about it.
Old 02-04-2016, 06:32 PM
Arcoril
Instructor

Originally Posted by CDH911C2S
I had that exact plate on my Nevada based 911---

I think the DMV people make up the rules and apply as they see fit...I ordered the 3 plates on-line and they were sent to the DMV (of my choice) for Pick-up (which they had, then lost, then found,etc.)

I agree with your interpretation and that is how I read the rule as well--- but my "friendly" DMV manager said: "No".

I think if I had ordered and sent to AAA(which is an option) it would have been a non-issue.
The amount of paperwork and forms to "register" a car is perplexing.

I love California but the DMV is poorly run and inefficient in ways that defy any logic.

Great choice on plates
Thanks! I'm shocked that the plate were available when I checked!

And yes, there was a whole lot less red tape when I ordered the plates online via this form. I just bought my 991 in August of 2015 and ordered the plates before I even had the VIN for the car. When the plates arrived I just had to swing by my local DMV branch to pick them up and give them the registration details.
Old 02-04-2016, 07:44 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

^^ You should never have posted that on the internet because now... PEOPLE CAN SEE THE PLATE ON YOUR CAR!!! Think of what could happen if the general public were to see your license plate AND your car at the same time! They would have all the information they needed to... well, to do terrible things to you, I'm sure!
Why is that any different from just parking your car on the street?
Old 02-04-2016, 08:21 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

A girl I took on a date in my 911 once asked me why a car company would be so rude as to name a car after such an event. Also she asked me why for the price I didn't get a Maserati. I did not ask her for a second date.
Old 02-04-2016, 09:45 PM
Porsche Jeff
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

I tried to get that vanity plate in MI years ago, it was taken.
Old 02-04-2016, 11:08 PM
c_Gio
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Oops.
Old 02-05-2016, 01:02 AM
JCBH
Rennlist Member

Received 136 Likes on 54 Posts

Funny - my proposed CA vanity plate with the numbers 911 was accepted online (not taken) but subsequently received a letter explaining that it was then denied because they did not want anybody being confused that it was an emergency vehicle! Funny that they let you do it. Congratulations - very cool!
I ended up going in a different direction/theme and ended up with 5 different CA legacy plates for all of the cars. Love them!!

Quick Reply: California Legacy plate