Sponsored by:

Where do we put the phone????

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 09:16 AM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Grunty
Well clearly he has more than one assistant and therefore it is likely that there are more than two ***** involved. Possibly four. Maximum of 6 in the 911 though. If it's only two *****, he's in a Boxster and clearly insufficiently elitist.
I guess you didn't see Total Recall
Old 02-11-2016, 02:51 PM
vivalaReagan
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Grunty
Well clearly he has more than one assistant and therefore it is likely that there are more than two ***** involved. Possibly four. Maximum of 6 in the 911 though. If it's only two *****, he's in a Boxster and clearly insufficiently elitist.
this guy gets it.
Old 02-13-2016, 12:04 PM
Bobby5150
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I installed a Proclip last night and I think it works really well. The mount is rock solid which I really like and it holds my iPhone 6 perfectly. I did not use the tape and it is not moving anywhere!

Old 02-19-2016, 11:59 PM
mmblz
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does the cable run into the glove box? Does it still close like usual ( there's space) or does the cable force it to bend at all?
Old 02-20-2016, 02:00 PM
DNorby
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put mine in the cupholder. I would take a picture but by phone cannot take selfies of itself.
Old 02-21-2016, 09:16 AM
Bobby5150
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmblz
Does the cable run into the glove box? Does it still close like usual ( there's space) or does the cable force it to bend at all?
I don't notice any bending but it is a tight fit. I have the cable coming out as low as possible so any crease wouldn't be noticeable. You can also bypass using the usb and go to the power located under the glovebox high in the center footwell. You won't be connected to the pcm but will get power. Just use Bluetooth if you want to stream music.
Old 03-01-2016, 12:16 PM
Barry Biondo
7th Gear

Default Cool new Cell phone mount

Out of necessity I had to design a cell phone mount for my 997. I refused to put a suction cup or vent mount which naturally didn't contribute to the aesthetics of my car. I can up with something completely slick and new and requires only one hand to operate. It attaches with a non damaging 3M foam tape or can be mounted using the small gap found in the dash panel. I'm not sure what the rules are on this forum, but I could really use help bringing this product to market through our kick starter campaign. I won't post the link unless I can get approval from the Rennlist staff. This is what it looks like.

Porsche 997
Old 03-01-2016, 12:20 PM
Pmorritt
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Jabs1542
I'm pretty sure if one were to shove the phone into said orifice it would still work via Bluetooth. Of course receiving a call would be extra exciting
Hence the phrase. " talkin outta your ****".
Old 03-01-2016, 12:43 PM
stealthboy
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Of course when I talk on the phone I use the bluetooth so no need to put the phone anywhere, but I tend to use Waze a lot (I never use the integrated nav). For that I use a Belkin clip that goes onto the vent. I've had zero problems with it, and I like that the black and silver matches my interior pretty well. http://www.belkin.com/us/p/P-F8M879/
Old 03-02-2016, 10:22 AM
mmblz
Advanced

I went with T-design because it seems like the best placement / blocking the least.

Next question was how to get power, for when waze tries to suck the battery dry.
Two obvious options were the lighter in the footwell, or the usb in the glovebox. If I went to the glovebox I didn't want to come out the top and see messy wires. I felt along the hinge and there's a good sized gap there. Then I would just need to cut a hole in the glove box liner. FWIW I think this would work pretty well - but for now I'm going to try the footwell.

I didn't want an ugly white wire that was too long and hanging down. So I picked up a few parts from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MH3USBE/
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RDWWWSQ/
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015J0XUWA/

The length of the two cords combined is just right, and I like the look of the one going to the phone.

I also ordered a second cable that is longer and would have been a good length if I went to the glovebox. The brown leather doesn't quite match the interior (cognac) but still looks pretty nice.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018HXRIWY/
Attached Images   
Old 03-02-2016, 09:58 PM
DaveGee
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 268 Posts

+1 for the T-design bracket. Doesn't block the vents, accessible, rotates...

No affiliation - just a satisfied customer.

DaveGee
Old 03-02-2016, 10:14 PM
77tony
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGee
+1 for the T-design bracket. Doesn't block the vents, accessible, rotates...

No affiliation - just a satisfied customer.

DaveGee
+2
Old 03-03-2016, 08:33 AM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by mmblz
I went with T-design because it seems like the best placement / blocking the least.

Next question was how to get power, for when waze tries to suck the battery dry.
Two obvious options were the lighter in the footwell, or the usb in the glovebox. If I went to the glovebox I didn't want to come out the top and see messy wires. I felt along the hinge and there's a good sized gap there. Then I would just need to cut a hole in the glove box liner. FWIW I think this would work pretty well - but for now I'm going to try the footwell.
After a bit of effort I discovered that power is pretty easy. You can grab 12v+ from the fuse box, recommend locating an ignition switched fuse (the fuse box is in the passenger footwell). Turns out the metal structure running through the console is all well grounded, loosen any screw and slip a wire under it for 12v-.

If you want to use a USB female connector, which I did, just buy a cheap cigarette lighter USB power converter, open it up to expose the two 12v wires and you're good to go. I keep the converter hidden under (actually it's above) the panel behind the glovebox. By using this route I didn't have to open up a USB cable and deal with those wires.
Old 03-03-2016, 02:41 PM
beaverlake
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

ProClip like dds and Bobby. I used black PlastiDip on the Apple cable because aftermarket cable speedclips don't fit in the bottom opening. I used a trim tool to remove the console side piece (search). There is a channel that runs along the inside lowere edge that is a perfect fit for the cable. I used a bent coat hanger to pull the cable around the back of the glove box (adequately taped to avoid damage). No problems with the cable bends, the cup holders still work, the clip doesn't bother my wife (important), and I can do a direct plug in to the USB port if I choose (why or why not is another discussion topic).

Sorry for the crappy low-light phone pics . . .

1. In the second photo the cable covering as the cable snakes under the console isn't split, it's the result of me not wanting to remove everything, take off an old short piece of shrink wrap tube and spray with PlastiDip - long story.
2. Third photo - I did wrap a wart of black electricians tape to protect against potential chafing where the cable comes into contact with the edge of the glove box. So far there is none at all.

Old 03-03-2016, 06:01 PM
mmblz
Advanced

nice install!

i avoided the proclip because:
1. it needs an exact part for your specific phone and I didn't want to have to change it if I get a new phone
2. the "apple cable is the only one that works" issue
3. i wanted to keep all my screens close together.

your install looks nice though

Quick Reply: Where do we put the phone????