Sponsored by:

My Guards Red 7MT GTS with review

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 12:48 AM
rye595
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 12 Posts
Default My Guards Red 7MT GTS with review

This post is way overdue, and quite long (SORRY!) I've had my new GTS for a few months now, but haven't posted my official pictures thread yet. I posted a photo of my ship coming into the port in Houston, but then the car arrived and I was too busy driving to post!

I've got one of the more subtle GTS cars out there - some might feel I've removed too many of the special GTS features, but I've got reasons. My build:

Guards Red
Black/Beige Full Leather Interior (Alcantara delete)
All trim pieces in leather (zero cost option)
5-lug Carrera S wheels (silver)
Delete GTS badge from doors (kept it on the rear)
7 speed Manual
SPASM
Sunroof (Metal)
Burmester
Heated/Cooled seats
Auto-dim mirrors

Reasoning:
Although I like the look of the centerlocks, I can't imagine dealing with them in real life. I worry that many tire shops wouldn't know how to deal with them, and I want to be able to easily swap wheels for track days down the road. Lug nuts are simple. I was on the fence about black vs. silver - I've never loved black wheels, but I realize that the silver wheels are the same as a "regular" S would have. Fine with me - I'm happy with the look.

I had a 997 C2S that I bought used a few years ago. I loved that car, but one annoyance was the stereo. It had the sound package plus, and it was shockingly bad! While I'm familiar with the "listen to the exhaust" argument, I like music and sometimes I'm happy to just cruise on the highway and listen to tunes. I want it all. In the 997, I convinced myself that it would be a fun project to upgrade the stereo myself. It was a hell of a project, but I ripped out everything and replaced it with high end stuff, all in factory locations. It sounded great, but was never perfect, and took a ton of time! This time, I decided to splurge for the Burmester. It can sometimes sound a little too bright to me, but it's unbelievably crisp with wonderful bass. With a few setting tweaks I'm very happy with it.

Mods:
I've added clear side markers (must do)

I had the entire front end wrapped with Xpel by a GREAT installer I found. Full hood, bumper, quarter panels, mirrors, door handles, and replaced the small rear fender guard with a larger one. He even removed the headlights so he could wrap around the seam - it's practically undetectable.

I've got a Rennline screen kit for the front bumper that I need to install.

I need to hardwire my Valentine, but the cord runs nicely down to the footwell socket, so I haven't bothered yet.

I'm seriously considering the AWE exhaust. I don't love mods in general, but I want it to be even nastier than it already is! I love sound - music is handled by Burmester, but the exhaust might have to be a bit louder.

Driving impressions:
One of the things that finally convinced me to sell my 997 was driving a 981 GTS that I convinced my father to buy 2 years ago as his first Porsche. That car has blown me away from the first time I drove it and I still love it. It's such a large step forward in interior quality, general driving feel, and the sound of the sports exhaust... everything. Plus, the balance and possibility of the 981 is addicting. Hanging the tail out at an intersection is trivial, when the 911 requires herculean effort just to even get the tail out in the first place with all that weight back there. But if it sounds like I should have bought a 981... I almost did buy a Boxster Spyder - had an allocation and everything! But in the end I love that 911 rear end, and couldn't live without it. Plus, I have a 6 year old, and having that small back seat allows me to take the family places where the Spyder or a Cayman would sit in the garage. So 911 it is!

The 991 has many of the same qualities that makes the 981 such a leap forward. It's refined, has a nice fat, comfortable steering wheel, has less road noise than the 997 did, and generally feels wonderful. It also has 85 more HP than my 997.1 did. The two-tone full leather is beautiful, and to me, a far better and richer choice than the synthetic alcantara product.

As far as driving feel, the car is remarkable. I have no issues with the electric steering, and the brakes have a lighter feel than my 997 did - they feel just about perfect to me. My only gripe about this car vs a 981 boils down to the sheer capabilities it has. To come anywhere near exploring the limits on the streets, you have to be prepared to be hauled off to jail! Just one shift and blast to redline in 2nd, and you're doing 75 MPH. And man does it sound good at 7500 RPM. Also, with giant rear tires, lots of rear weight, and torque vectoring, you don't just flick the tail out in this car. My 997 was more playful in everyday driving than this car. But I still enjoy driving this car more. I always said the 997 could be calm like a Mercedes or angry like a race car - two cars in one. That's true with this car on a whole new level. I can't wait to drive this one on the track, where I suspect it will be completely at home.

One thing that really stands out to me is how incredibly balanced the 991 is vs the 997. I've purposely thrown the 991 into corners when there's nobody around, trying to see if I can upset the suspension. If I did that in the 997, I'd get it pretty sideways, requiring a lot of correction, and sometimes even feeling a bit unsettling. The 991 cannot be thrown off. The worst it does is a nice controlled little slide that requires almost no correction to resolve. Some of that is probably the torque vectoring, and the rest is the chassis and the SPASM. The rear engine-ness of the 911 is essentially gone - remarkable.

Issues:
I have one significant rattle somewhere on the driver's side, either around the firewall or a-pillar. The dealer has replaced a bolt for the fuel tank that can rub against the fire wall (there's a service bulletin) but that didn't solve it. I've heard about a shock tower fix, but I really don't know what it is. I'll have to trust the dealer to investigate further. I had this kind of stuff on a new car, but these things happen.

I also posted a separate thread about a transmission clunk. If I'm at a light in neutral and quickly push the clutch in and shift to first, I get a "thunk" from the rear. Sometimes it's louder than others. And sometimes I get it on a quick shift from first to second as well. A relaxed shift never causes a thunk. The dealer says to keep driving it and see what happens, which actually seems reasonable. It might wear in, and I'd hate to have them replace the transmission unless it's truly necessary.

That's enough for now! Pictures below. Happy to answer questions.

Old 02-01-2016, 01:55 AM
simrohor
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great looking car! Manual, no CL, SPASM; exactly how I would have ordered mine. Enjoy in good health.
I hope the thunk goes away? Do you get it cold/warm?
Best
Old 02-01-2016, 02:25 AM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,007 Likes on 598 Posts

My C2S has that same thunk, I also had an E92 335i that had the same thunk. I think it might be normal for modern Manual cars?
Old 02-01-2016, 02:30 AM
nvk
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congratulations! Car looks great!
Old 02-01-2016, 09:37 AM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Nice, clean build! Excellent choices, and well thought-out! Enjoy, and keep us posted on mods!
Old 02-01-2016, 09:38 AM
TrappistMonk
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

understated cars without visual clues are great. Pure driver enjoyment!
Old 02-01-2016, 09:42 AM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 86 Posts

My C2S has the clunk as well, doesn't bother me though I will keep an eye out here on RL to see if anyone develops a real problem as a result.
Old 02-01-2016, 09:58 AM
DerekS
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 52 Posts

That interior looks super! Love it.
Old 02-01-2016, 10:47 AM
DaveGee
Rennlist Member

Received 475 Likes on 266 Posts

Car looks great with silver wheels, congrats. All-black wheels are way overdone IMHO.

DaveGee
Old 02-01-2016, 11:32 AM
n2cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 234 Likes on 134 Posts

rye595, I have two questions. Where were the pictures taken? Four Corners? Grand Canyon? Also, how is the V1 attached? Bendmount?

Your car is stunning. Love the red. Love the silver wheels. Love the 7 sp MT.
Old 02-01-2016, 11:41 AM
993Mpls
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Beautiful car! So glad that someone got Guards Red. Enjoy!
Old 02-01-2016, 01:28 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Congratulations on your GTS. That certainly would win the award for the most stealthy GTS, except for the color of course.
Old 02-01-2016, 04:15 PM
eg991
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great car and nice spec! I also opted for the 5 lug wheels, but in black. Makes it so much easier to swap out my wheels/ tires seasonally. Hope you're enjoying the 7MT (clunk aside); it's such a sweet gearbox!
Old 02-01-2016, 06:44 PM
rye595
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by n2cars
rye595, I have two questions. Where were the pictures taken? Four Corners? Grand Canyon? Also, how is the V1 attached? Bendmount?

Your car is stunning. Love the red. Love the silver wheels. Love the 7 sp MT.
Thanks for the comments!

1. Most photos were taken in Boulder, CO, except for the obvious outlier, which was taken in Moab, UT. My dad flew out and took a road trip with me the first weekend I had it, and I did the same a year ago when he picked up his Cayman GTS.

2. It's just the V1 suction cup mount for now. I need to decide on a better long term solution.
Old 02-02-2016, 02:04 AM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 165 Posts

Great observations and writeup! I think it would be cool to see a guards red next to a carmine to compare and contrast these 2 colors
Jim
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: My Guards Red 7MT GTS with review