Sponsored by:

GTS vs GT4

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2016, 11:25 AM
LnC993
Pro

Received 165 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Grunty
Gt4 for track or weekend toy. Gts for more comfort, style and usefulness.
^^^ This.

I'm sort of in the similar dilemma and trying to decide which P car to get next, a 991 S/GTS or GT4. And if I'm lucky enough to have the budget to have both, I would. They are very different and bring very different driving experience.

Get both, you won't regret it.
Old 01-30-2016, 11:55 AM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,132 Likes on 681 Posts

Originally Posted by ArtF10
My other reasons to have both of them are that I do need a backseat occasionally for the kids and I drive a lot. I drive a total of 20k miles a year. I used to split the commute with an m5 and a Honda Pilot for the winter months. I no longer have the m5
Assuming your kids will be small for a while, the TT with Alpins is completely competent in winter driving. It's amazing how good it is.
Maybe you can ditch the Pilot as well.
Old 01-30-2016, 12:29 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 284 Posts

Substantially dissimilar cars in my opinion. I'd have a GTS and a GT4 for sure if money and space weren't an issue.

GTS - more refined street ride that can do track work or high performance driving
Gt4 - best use for track or occasional canyon carving weekends. Mid engine dynamics make it a very different drive

My experience is Porsche GT cars are cool and most people think they'll use them a lot because they are "streetable" - but they end up for sale a year later

My wife - developing an appreciation for P-cars now, only took 10 years! - saw a GT3 bouncing down expansion joints on the 101 last night in traffic and told me the driver looked miserable!

Perhaps not this hardcore crowd but something to consider ...
Old 01-30-2016, 01:08 PM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

If you can do both -- do both. Silly question!
Old 01-30-2016, 01:10 PM
997s07
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael_s
I see you used Roslyn... good guys there. Usually pretty pricey tho... Hope you got a decent deal.
I disagree with your view of Roslyn and I know others from the GT forums that also do.

Back on topic. The GT4 is a very fun car, but it's very easy to drive albeit much more involving than the GTS. If the GT4 had the good rear suspension than I would go with the GT4. But it doesn't and the rear isn't as planted as the GTS. That said, the GT4 rear isn't easy to get loose and keep it loose. The GTS is very balanced and the rear, even though much better planted than the GT4, can get away but because it's so well suspended the slides are controlable. The GT4 front is the exact same as the GT3 front. That said the GT4 understeers much more than the GTS. So in short, the GTS is the better car, because Porsche wants it to be. I've driven both for extensive distances, I would choose the GTS.
Old 02-01-2016, 08:45 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Default GTS vs GT4

Originally Posted by 997s07
I disagree with your view of Roslyn and I know others from the GT forums that also do.

Back on topic. The GT4 is a very fun car, but it's very easy to drive albeit much more involving than the GTS. If the GT4 had the good rear suspension than I would go with the GT4. But it doesn't and the rear isn't as planted as the GTS. That said, the GT4 rear isn't easy to get loose and keep it loose. The GTS is very balanced and the rear, even though much better planted than the GT4, can get away but because it's so well suspended the slides are controlable. The GT4 front is the exact same as the GT3 front. That said the GT4 understeers much more than the GTS. So in short, the GTS is the better car, because Porsche wants it to be. I've driven both for extensive distances, I would choose the GTS.
Yes^^ No multi link rear suspension in the GT4. A real downer. I gave up my allocation shortly after finding out.

Even though the GTS has tall gearing it's still much better than the GT4's. Both are great cars though.
Old 02-01-2016, 09:14 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Keep the Carrera GTS and get a Viper ACR for your track day car for similar money to the GT4. That way you have two very different cars instead of getting two similar cars. I feel like the 911 has always built to be as good as they could figure out how to make but the Cayman/Boxster varients are more built to just fill a slot in the model lineup. If this had changed with the GT4, it would have gotten the full 400hp engine or even the powerkit, but it hasn't so it got 385.
Old 02-02-2016, 01:49 AM
Madmac
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Completely different driving experience. What irks me with the Cayman, GT4 is that it could be so much better than it is (more bhp, shorter gearing etc), which bugs me.
Old 02-02-2016, 09:39 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

I'll be the dissenter here (because everybody's different after all!)

Yes they are different enough in the sense of "driving back to back with the purpose of asking yourself if you can feel a difference." No question about it.

But if you are talking two street cars (with maybe very occasional track use for one or both of them), for me they are way too similar to warrant keeping both. I've tried several times before: kept a wonderful Boxster S after buying a Turbo; kept a Turbo after buying a GTS; kept a built turbo Miata after buying a Boxster S. In all cases the cars were certainly different forms of sports car, but the problem was for me, they were all sports cars. And this meant that in the vast world of motorized transport, they were nearly identical to each other.

I like having multiple cars, but they all have to have a different mission: i.e. Grand Cherokee for family truckster duties, 911 for sports car, built Wrangler for rock crawling, 68 Cadillac convertible for oozing around town on Saturday night with friends, old pick-up for picking up things. But I'd never want multiple cars in those categories, even though I have plenty of garage space. Simple reason: I don't wind up driving any of them enough and it bothers me and I wind up taking the sports car I don't really like as well because I feel guilty that I never drive it. :shrug: Who wants to do that?

By the way, I'd change my answer if you are a track rat -- I used to be, and it's nice to have a dedicated track car. But honestly, because it sits all the time except when you're on track, I'd never buy a brand new GT4 for that work, when (as was pointed out above) a several years old Viper will demolish the GT4 at any track. Or any other Porsche save the 918.
Old 02-02-2016, 11:10 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,507 Likes on 2,827 Posts

Went through this calculus. Was set to get a GTS when a GT4 allocation materialized. Obviously went for the GT4.

Both great cars, but the GT4 is the more interesting and special car to me. I was looking for maximum feedback in a manual transmission Porsche and the GT4 is the car of the moment for that. I've no interest in compromise, automatics bore me and the GT4 manual is as good as it gets.

If I wasn't able to get a GT4, I would have been perfectly content in the GTS, I'm sure.
Old 02-03-2016, 11:14 AM
c_Gio
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

GTS w GT4 (shorter throw) shifter on sale now at suncoast......

Quick Reply: GTS vs GT4