Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thank you Rennlist for helping me purchase my first 911, a 2016 GTS.

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 11:36 AM
trucheli
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
9 months into GTS ownership I'm in the same boat. I'll occasionally turn the Bose up to "good listening levels" and I don't think I ever stay there more than 2 minutes -- something inside me is missing the wail of the PSE, and I just turn the music back down.

I had a 2002 Turbo before the GTS and it had the (at the time top-o-the-line) Bose system, and that system sounded way better than the GTS. It came with a cool demo CD that I moved to the GTS and so I could compare back to back from the same excellent source and the old Turbo system is very noticeably better.

Question, since you're an audiophile. On the Bose demo CD are maybe 14 songs. I'd never heard any of them except one, which I happen to own on an original CD (Not a compilation or something). It is a jazz piano and percussion piece by Gene Harris. It is clearly the same, identical recording, but it sounds better in every way on the demo CD.

So just wondering: what do they do to make things sound better on the demo, and why don't all CDs just sound that way?

Thanks!
The bottom line is garbage in garbage out. If you have a good master and a good mix you can expect a good result. Some of those demos are optimized and remixed with newer digital recorders and mixers with better filters. It's called Remastered.
Old 01-24-2016, 12:28 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Beautiful car. Congratulations, and you will love your GTS.
Old 01-24-2016, 01:01 PM
DrCGuerra
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 96redLT4
Congrats Doc. We are about the same vintage as I was in the last year of my residency 21 years ago. Nice to know we can reward ourselves with a GTS after 20 years of medical practice! With socialized medicine I doubt the folks behind us will be this lucky!
Jim
It's getting harder to be a doctor these days. Hopefully, all these reforms won't scare the new generation away from being a doctor. Enjoy your GTS.
Old 01-24-2016, 01:06 PM
DrCGuerra
Racer

Originally Posted by pitt911
nice story. I was in my residency 23 years ago and 2 years ago bought my first porsche. Now I am already on my third one. CS was the first one, then 911GT3. I decided to add a spyder before the NA engine disappears and it will be arriving in 2 months. Agree with your comment about the engine in the E92 m3. I did love that engine but not the car. I have an F80 now, and I love the car but not the engine ! it does not have that nice V8 sound .
That is the biggest reason I didn't buy the M4 and purchased the Cayman GTS. There is a great YouTube video of a C7 Corvette, M4, and Cayman GTS exhaust sound. The M4 sounds like a chainsaw. It's sad because the inline-6 of my E46 or the V-8 of my E92 sounded awesome.
Old 01-24-2016, 01:15 PM
DrCGuerra
Racer

Originally Posted by trucheli
Almost same progression here coming from owning 4 E92s and 1 F82 before buying my first P car, a 2015 PDK GTS with sport design. Two different animals one is a cheetah and the other was a leopard. Still love BMW but I have never experienced this kind of excitement every time I get in the GTS and start the engine. I am also plan to own this car forever.

This is my take on the stereo, I am an audiophile who loves music. I listen to Classical and Jazz and play percussion. My home set up for music consists of a pair of Magnepan 1.7 and a Carver 500 watt amplifier with 2 Rythmik E15 subwoofers plus acoustic treatment. Also, I use the OPPO 103 to playback my SACD collection. Now back to the car stereo, I figured that I was not going to do any critical listening in the car so I could have chosen the basic or Bose system. The car came with Bose and since I drive most of the time in sport with PSE ON I rather listen to talk radio or CNBC, Fox News or Howard Stern. In order to enjoy the music I would have to raise the volume enough to cancel the exhaust to levels that my sensitive years will hate. My Bose tweeters sound good enough on my GTS, I don't see the point of upgrading unless you are going to listen while the car is off. In the car I prefer the exhaust over music.
I agree with you about listening to the exhaust. I am a big sports radio guy so why do I need an aftermarket stereo? For somewhere between the cost of the Bose and Burmester stereo, I could get a Pioneer that played FLAC and ALAC at 192/24 Hi-Rez. In addition, going aftermarket allowed me to take out my stereo from my Cayman and now I am recycling it to use in my 911 GTS. Finally, when I do listen to music, I listen to classic rock (I tell my young patients that I listened to classic rock when it was just called rock) and I like it loud. An external sub is the only way to get really good lows. The JL Audio amp is super clean. At the end of the day, it's just a personal preference.
Old 01-24-2016, 01:17 PM
DrCGuerra
Racer

Originally Posted by OMG Noooooo....
Interesting back story.. But you have most definitely ended up with the best 991... The GTS is a keeper.
Agree. The GT3 would be too rough of a daily driver. The 911 R sounded interesting but they sold out in a day despite "debuting" at the Geneva Auto Show in March.
Old 01-24-2016, 01:21 PM
DrCGuerra
Racer

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
9 months into GTS ownership I'm in the same boat. I'll occasionally turn the Bose up to "good listening levels" and I don't think I ever stay there more than 2 minutes -- something inside me is missing the wail of the PSE, and I just turn the music back down.

I had a 2002 Turbo before the GTS and it had the (at the time top-o-the-line) Bose system, and that system sounded way better than the GTS. It came with a cool demo CD that I moved to the GTS and so I could compare back to back from the same excellent source and the old Turbo system is very noticeably better.

Question, since you're an audiophile. On the Bose demo CD are maybe 14 songs. I'd never heard any of them except one, which I happen to own on an original CD (Not a compilation or something). It is a jazz piano and percussion piece by Gene Harris. It is clearly the same, identical recording, but it sounds better in every way on the demo CD.

So just wondering: what do they do to make things sound better on the demo, and why don't all CDs just sound that way?

Thanks!
Was the demo a "digitally remastered" song vs. your copy of the same song? CDs are recorded at 44.1 KHz/16-bit resolution so that is the only explanation I have.
Old 01-24-2016, 01:22 PM
DrCGuerra
Racer

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
Beautiful car. Congratulations, and you will love your GTS.
Thanks. I do love it.
Old 01-24-2016, 01:44 PM
BingoWest
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DrCGuerra
For somewhere between the cost of the Bose and Burmester stereo, I could get a Pioneer that played FLAC and ALAC at 192/24 Hi-Rez. In addition, going aftermarket allowed me to take out my stereo from my Cayman and now I am recycling it to use in my 911 GTS.
I'm an audiophile (and a big critic of Porsche's Infotainment system), so your journey to replace the factory head unit is of interest to me. The possibility of having an Apple Carplay compatible unit in a 991 is also tempting.
Old 01-24-2016, 02:33 PM
DrCGuerra
Racer

Originally Posted by BingoWest
I'm an audiophile (and a big critic of Porsche's Infotainment system), so your journey to replace the factory head unit is of interest to me. The possibility of having an Apple Carplay compatible unit in a 991 is also tempting.
That's a big plus. Pioneer now sells the 8100 series. I don't know the difference between the two. You need to purchase a "face plate" from Suncoast. It even has the Porsche logo so it looks stock. In addition, I added the rear view camera for just $250. Much cheaper than Porsche's. It's a very good unit. I was able to still use my stock speakers. The installers informed me that they have been impressed with Porsche's stock speakers & only a few have upgraded to MB Quartz or Hertz speakers. Keeping it stock allowed me to have a simple amp change (even with the new sub) vs. 2 amp system if I went with aftermarket speakers. I hope you found this information helpful.
Old 01-24-2016, 04:15 PM
BingoWest
Rennlist Member

That's a big plus. Pioneer now sells the 8100 series. I don't know the difference between the two. You need to purchase a "face plate" from Suncoast. It even has the Porsche logo so it looks stock. In addition, I added the rear view camera for just $250. Much cheaper than Porsche's. It's a very good unit. I was able to still use my stock speakers. The installers informed me that they have been impressed with Porsche's stock speakers & only a few have upgraded to MB Quartz or Hertz speakers. Keeping it stock allowed me to have a simple amp change (even with the new sub) vs. 2 amp system if I went with aftermarket speakers. I hope you found this information helpful.
That's helpful yes. It's a datapoint that helps my decision of a used 991 vs. a new 991.2.

So, in addition to the Pioneer head unit, you added a new amp plus a new sub? What was the brand and model of these items?
Old 01-24-2016, 04:32 PM
DrCGuerra
Racer

That's helpful yes. It's a datapoint that helps my decision of a used 991 vs. a new 991.2.

So, in addition to the Pioneer head unit, you added a new amp plus a new sub? What was the brand and model of these items?
The amp I added was a JL Audio XD600/6 that I am going to reuse in the 911. In the Cayman, the original amp sits below the passenger seat so I am hoping that is the case with the 911. The Cayman has an advantage in that it has a hatch. In the rear hatch, the audio dealer was able to install a 6" JL Audio sub and hand built a housing for the sub that fit in the area where the rear inside taillight cover was. I am not sure where they are going to place the sub in the 911. There is a flat area behind the rear seats that they could build a carpeted box but I am not sure what they are going to do. It will be just a little higher than the rear seats but I do not believe it will take up much of my rear view. I will post pics once the install is done. I hope this helps you decide what to purchase.
Old 01-24-2016, 04:35 PM
BingoWest
Rennlist Member

The amp I added was a JL Audio XD600/6 that I am going to reuse in the 911. In the Cayman, the original amp sits below the passenger seat so I am hoping that is the case with the 911. The Cayman has an advantage in that it has a hatch. In the rear hatch, the audio dealer was able to install a 6" JL Audio sub and hand built a housing for the sub that fit in the area where the rear inside taillight cover was. I am not sure where they are going to place the sub in the 911. There is a flat area behind the rear seats that they could build a carpeted box but I am not sure what they are going to do. It will be just a little higher than the rear seats but I do not believe it will take up much of my rear view. I will post pics once the install is done. I hope this helps you decide what to purchase.
The amp you replaced is a multi channel amp to drive the Bose speakers, or is it a dedicated sub amp?

I'm not sure adding a sub in a new location would be for me. Did you investigate swapping the factory sub for an aftermarket sub mounted in the same location?
Old 01-24-2016, 05:54 PM
DrCGuerra
Racer

The amp you replaced is a multi channel amp to drive the Bose speakers, or is it a dedicated sub amp?

I'm not sure adding a sub in a new location would be for me. Did you investigate swapping the factory sub for an aftermarket sub mounted in the same location?
It is a multi channel amp. The original sub is difficult to get to so replacing it at the original location is not really an option. You can probably still use the amp to drive the built-in sub. I didn't use a dedicated sub amp. I've done that in the past but didn't need to with this setup. I don't have Bose speakers. I'm not sure what brand Porsche uses for stock speakers but they sound great with a clean amp & Hi-Rez music.
Old 01-24-2016, 05:58 PM
BingoWest
Rennlist Member

It is a multi channel amp. The original sub is difficult to get to so replacing it at the original location is not really an option. You can probably still use the amp to drive the built-in sub. I didn't use a dedicated sub amp. I've done that in the past but didn't need to with this setup. I don't have Bose speakers. I'm not sure what brand Porsche uses for stock speakers but they sound great with a clean amp & Hi-Rez music.
Thanks.

Quick Reply: Thank you Rennlist for helping me purchase my first 911, a 2016 GTS.