Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thank you Rennlist for helping me purchase my first 911, a 2016 GTS.

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 07:04 PM
UGLYOKI
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm waiting for delivery of my 2016 GTS - I ordered it in October and I guess this is a normal wait for a Porsche. Knowing that doesn't help, but I can always use practice in patience, so thank you Porsche! (Not sure if sarcasm translates into German...)

It's black on black, 14-way seats, leather interior (no Alcantara) PDK (over the past 20 years I've gone through 1 engine and 5 transmissions on the track, so that was a no-brainer), pretty much all other exterior and performance options except CCBs (again, a track-based decision), but none of the fussy interior bits - deviated stitching, etc. Not judging anyone who likes that stuff - to each his own - but the leather is a lot fancier than I usually opt for, so this is already a stretch. Oh yeah - and 5-lug wheels (track decision too.)

Also went for the Burmester, in large part because while I'm an audiophile and prefer to design and do my own installation, an aftermarket installation, no matter how ingeniously designed, is going to steal an unacceptable amount of the practically non-existent interior volume in a 991. Since Burmester worked closely with Porsche I'm relying on their talents to make the installation practically invisible (I know they tucked the sub into a place I probably couldn't reach without a map and a flashlight.) I'll let you know if I regret this decision.

I'm already spending buku bucks in anticipation - second set of wheels/tires, additional set of track tires, clear LED side markers... oh man, somebody stop me before I kill again!
Old 01-24-2016, 08:50 PM
DrCGuerra
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by UGLYOKI
I'm waiting for delivery of my 2016 GTS - I ordered it in October and I guess this is a normal wait for a Porsche. Knowing that doesn't help, but I can always use practice in patience, so thank you Porsche! (Not sure if sarcasm translates into German...)

It's black on black, 14-way seats, leather interior (no Alcantara) PDK (over the past 20 years I've gone through 1 engine and 5 transmissions on the track, so that was a no-brainer), pretty much all other exterior and performance options except CCBs (again, a track-based decision), but none of the fussy interior bits - deviated stitching, etc. Not judging anyone who likes that stuff - to each his own - but the leather is a lot fancier than I usually opt for, so this is already a stretch. Oh yeah - and 5-lug wheels (track decision too.)

Also went for the Burmester, in large part because while I'm an audiophile and prefer to design and do my own installation, an aftermarket installation, no matter how ingeniously designed, is going to steal an unacceptable amount of the practically non-existent interior volume in a 991. Since Burmester worked closely with Porsche I'm relying on their talents to make the installation practically invisible (I know they tucked the sub into a place I probably couldn't reach without a map and a flashlight.) I'll let you know if I regret this decision.

I'm already spending buku bucks in anticipation - second set of wheels/tires, additional set of track tires, clear LED side markers... oh man, somebody stop me before I kill again!
The reason that I didn't go with the Burmester is that it costs more than my aftermarket stereo and, to the best of my knowledge, it doesn't play FLAC or ALAC. Plus, aftermarket stereos can be taken out when you trade the car in so you can use it again. Finally, Custom car stereo does an excellent job of not taking up space for the aftermarket sub and it looks factory stock. It sounds like you spec'd your car for track use. I might go 4-5 times this year so I wanted a more driver involvement car for daily use. Life is too short so enjoy your car.
Old 01-25-2016, 02:32 AM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 284 Posts

Enjoy, gorgeous car.

And be very glad you skipped the F8X investment. Waste if you liked the E36 and E92 (motor). Ask me how i know.

You could salvage the M4 motor sound, but not it's huge size, numb steering and psycho turbo power curve. It's 9 inches longer than a 991!!!
Old 01-25-2016, 03:32 AM
UGLYOKI
Rennlist Member

Man, you've got a good memory.

Not sad I didn't go for the M4 - considering I (mostly) washed the craving for street racing out my system years ago but I still need to push a car hard to enough to make all 4 tires squeal, I think I'll be happy with the GTS and its track abilities.

I didn't realize the M4s were that big. Funny thing is, the 911 seems bigger to look at. Must be the design - no edges, you know? Makes it hard to wrap my eyes around.
Old 01-25-2016, 03:36 AM
UGLYOKI
Rennlist Member

Chris C, I just realized I replied to your post as if it was directed to me, which I see it wasn't. Maybe you've got a good memory anyway.

Funny - the Dr and I went similar routes. I ordered an M4 in July and passed on it when it came in - the dealer ordered the wrong color and I went to Porsche. Got the last GTS they had available to them.
Old 01-25-2016, 02:28 PM
DrCGuerra
Racer

Originally Posted by Chris C.
Enjoy, gorgeous car.

And be very glad you skipped the F8X investment. Waste if you liked the E36 and E92 (motor). Ask me how i know.

You could salvage the M4 motor sound, but not it's huge size, numb steering and psycho turbo power curve. It's 9 inches longer than a 991!!!
My favorite engine was in the E46 model. I didn't do any modifications to the inline-6. Fabulous motor.
Old 01-30-2016, 12:48 PM
DrCGuerra
Racer

I want to thank everyone for their warm welcome to the 911 family.
Old 02-27-2016, 05:40 PM
DrCGuerra
Racer

Originally Posted by trucheli
Almost same progression here coming from owning 4 E92s and 1 F82 before buying my first P car, a 2015 PDK GTS with sport design. Two different animals one is a cheetah and the other was a leopard. Still love BMW but I have never experienced this kind of excitement every time I get in the GTS and start the engine. I am also plan to own this car forever.

This is my take on the stereo, I am an audiophile who loves music. I listen to Classical and Jazz and play percussion. My home set up for music consists of a pair of Magnepan 1.7 and a Carver 500 watt amplifier with 2 Rythmik E15 subwoofers plus acoustic treatment. Also, I use the OPPO 103 to playback my SACD collection. Now back to the car stereo, I figured that I was not going to do any critical listening in the car so I could have chosen the basic or Bose system. The car came with Bose and since I drive most of the time in sport with PSE ON I rather listen to talk radio or CNBC, Fox News or Howard Stern. In order to enjoy the music I would've had to raise the volume enough to cancel the exhaust to levels that my sensitive ears would hate. My Bose tweeters sound good enough on my GTS, I don't see the point of upgrading unless you are going to listen while the car is off. In the car I prefer the exhaust over music.
As promised, I started a new thread about my stereo upgrade. If interested, go to the following thread:

Pioneer AVIC-8000NEX Stereo Upgrade
Old 02-27-2016, 05:41 PM
DrCGuerra
Racer

I hope I didn't post this twice for everyone but several commented on my stereo upgrade swap. If interested, this is the tread I started:

Pioneer AVIC-8000NEX Stereo Upgrade

Quick Reply: Thank you Rennlist for helping me purchase my first 911, a 2016 GTS.