Sponsored by:

Wanted to buy a Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 12:55 PM
BingoWest
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
Just stating that the quality of the C7 is much higher than some are willing to believe.
The build quality (particularly the interior quality) of the C7 is significantly better than the C5 that I owned. The improvements began with the C6.

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
There are still plenty of people that will also say that the Corvette is only good for straight line acceleration and doesn't handle well.
Exceptional handling on the track has been well documented in professional reviews. I believe most enthusiasts recognize the excellent handling of C6 and C7 Corvettes.

Last edited by BingoWest; 01-24-2016 at 01:21 PM.
Old 01-24-2016, 01:15 PM
stratocaster69
Burning Brakes

I had a Z06 C6 and it was phenomenal, motor etc. The only thing it lacked on was interior quality to me. But like the poster above said, price point etc. They are excellent performers and cool cars.

I just like the solid feel of the German car as many I am sure do on this site. Doors shut so solid and precise, the fit and feel of everything is top notch. The looks change but not so drastic and it looks like your car is always in style.

Opinions are just that. Everyone has one!
Old 01-24-2016, 01:19 PM
c_Gio
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree. The corvette is a Chevy product. You will get Chevy build quality sold to you by Chevy dealers serviced by Chevy mechanics. similar story with (dodge) viper. It is not fun having the most expensive model in an otherwise downmarket lineup--maybe like having a mansion in the ghetto?

You can put the viper, vette, and 911 in the same column all you want, and each have their fan base. Only a fool would argue Porsche, Chevy, and dodge are comparable (in customer base, at the corporate level, in philosophy, build quality, you name it).

For their part I think dodge would agree with me, hence the viper is now a SRT car (aka not dodge). We'll see if people go for it.....
Old 01-24-2016, 02:27 PM
ENCT
Rennlist Member

Received 345 Likes on 175 Posts

The body panel alignment on my Z06 was horrible. I took it to the dealer and the body shop guy said it looked like something didn't line up properly and they chased it around the car. He offered to remove body panels to try and get the fit better but I decided with my luck it would look worse. He did raise the one side of the hood about 1/8" which helped some but still aggravated me because it just showed up on the other side. Most peoples excuse is that it's a Chevy, that just didn't work for me so here I am with a 911. On the Z06 forum it seams some get a good build and some do not.
Eric
Old 01-24-2016, 03:10 PM
991 GT3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a 12 Grand Sport C6 and a earlier C6. Got a 991 GT3 and wow. Big difference all around. After a year of ownership still feels like a new toy! Porsche is such a classy sports car that doesn't scream mid life crisis. Great choice. Enjoy in good health.
Old 01-24-2016, 05:12 PM
stratocaster69
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by c_Gio
The apple doesn't fall far from the tree. The corvette is a Chevy product. You will get Chevy build quality sold to you by Chevy dealers serviced by Chevy mechanics. similar story with (dodge) viper. It is not fun having the most expensive model in an otherwise downmarket lineup--maybe like having a mansion in the ghetto?

You can put the viper, vette, and 911 in the same column all you want, and each have their fan base. Only a fool would argue Porsche, Chevy, and dodge are comparable (in customer base, at the corporate level, in philosophy, build quality, you name it).

For their part I think dodge would agree with me, hence the viper is now a SRT car (aka not dodge). We'll see if people go for it.....
I had a Viper ACR as well. Not bragging lol. But it was a little better on interior I thought, but man it was rough on the road. Not fun for all around. You are right, each has their fan base.
Old 01-24-2016, 06:31 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by c_Gio

You're the one that also argued the new Shelby GT350 is just a parts bin rental car - you sort of lost your "car guy" card after that haha.
Old 01-24-2016, 06:36 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 991 GT3
I had a 12 Grand Sport C6 and a earlier C6. Got a 991 GT3 and wow. Big difference all around. After a year of ownership still feels like a new toy! Porsche is such a classy sports car that doesn't scream mid life crisis. Great choice. Enjoy in good health.

OT - but the term "mid-life crisis" is one of the dumbest in America (probably coined by some ugly wife who was mad their husband had finally purchased his dream car after 25 years of busting his rear end). And that's just it - most people had to work a career and juggle a family before they were able to get that car they've been thinking about since they could crawl. The reality is that doesn't usually happen until you hit your 50's. Hardly a crisis, smells like success.
Old 01-24-2016, 07:06 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 239 Posts

Welcome to our world! Your car is absolutely stunning. Enjoy it in good health and fortune but above all -"keep the shiny side up".
Old 01-24-2016, 08:13 PM
Dbull65
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Yes I too hate the whole Mid-Life Crises "thing". before my AWESOME 911, Ive had a C5 Corvette, a Shelby GT, and then before that I had three different Harley's and various crotch rockets before those. By most peoples standards, I have been having a mid-life crisis my whole life lol.
Old 01-24-2016, 08:35 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Para82
You're the one that also argued the new Shelby GT350 is just a parts bin rental car - you sort of lost your "car guy" card after that haha.
+911
Old 01-25-2016, 09:24 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 123 Posts

OT - but the term "mid-life crisis" is one of the dumbest in America (probably coined by some ugly wife who was mad their husband had finally purchased his dream car after 25 years of busting his rear end). And that's just it - most people had to work a career and juggle a family before they were able to get that car they've been thinking about since they could crawl. The reality is that doesn't usually happen until you hit your 50's. Hardly a crisis, smells like success.
Excellent points. Unfortunately, there really are plenty of guys who aren't car guys but get to a place in life where they just need "something." They have various avenues to try and reclaim the lost years, and a shiny new "I've made it now" sportscar is one of the most obvious. Hence the phrase.

And I'm not even saying there's anything wrong with that. I'd say a large number of guys go through this in some way or another -- taking up a new sport, or getting back in shape, or getting a mistress, or becoming a European traveller or mountain climber or cyclist. Nothing wrong with honest evaluation and deciding what directional change you'd like to make in your life. But I think some guys make the "shiny sportscar" change not because of that motivation, but because they're trying to send a shallow message to the world that they're still a force with which to be reckoned.

Fortunately, I've been sending that message my whole life so driving Porsches is just a symptom.
Old 01-25-2016, 09:38 AM
gurneyeagle
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Dbull65
Yes I too hate the whole Mid-Life Crises "thing". before my AWESOME 911, Ive had a C5 Corvette, a Shelby GT, and then before that I had three different Harley's and various crotch rockets before those. By most peoples standards, I have been having a mid-life crisis my whole life lol.
Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Excellent points. Unfortunately, there really are plenty of guys who aren't car guys but get to a place in life where they just need "something." They have various avenues to try and reclaim the lost years, and a shiny new "I've made it now" sportscar is one of the most obvious. Hence the phrase.

And I'm not even saying there's anything wrong with that. I'd say a large number of guys go through this in some way or another -- taking up a new sport, or getting back in shape, or getting a mistress, or becoming a European traveller or mountain climber or cyclist. Nothing wrong with honest evaluation and deciding what directional change you'd like to make in your life. But I think some guys make the "shiny sportscar" change not because of that motivation, but because they're trying to send a shallow message to the world that they're still a force with which to be reckoned.

Fortunately, I've been sending that message my whole life so driving Porsches is just a symptom.
All good points, and it really aggravates me when a non-car person (usually a woman) accuses me of the same.

On a lighter note, John Glenn once posted this in the Astronaut Office -

The definition of a sports car - a hedge against the male menopause.
Old 01-25-2016, 12:24 PM
Ski Porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 73 Posts

Congratulations on retirement and the P-car--your life has improved by magnitudes! A friend described retirement from the perspective of his wife as getting twice as much of him on half the money. A buddy had the C7 Corvette (traded it for a truck and trailer��) and it was a knockout! When I got my C2S he admitted that the build and refinement was superior to his 'Vette. Then he pointed out the price difference.
Old 01-25-2016, 12:40 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Congrats! Lovely car, you'll enjoy it. I too come from a background of Corvettes, having had 2 C4s, a Z06 C5 and a C6 coupe. The C7 doesn't check any boxes for me except most bang for the buck. But every time I try to save money, I kick myself later.

Enjoy that retirement!

Oh, and tell your wife that I bought my first Corvette at 30 (ish) and through all the years of owning them, not once did they help me find or obtain a woman. Men, yes, lots of guys would come up to me in parking lots and gas stations and want to talk about the car, but I don't swing that way so it didn't do me any good.

NTTAWWT.

Quick Reply: Wanted to buy a Corvette