Sponsored by:

Any concerns about a "741 press vehicle."

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 02:00 PM
shellbmb
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any concerns about a "741 press vehicle."

I see some low mileage (3-5k miles) 991's out there that are listed as new, but were press vehicles driven by porsche execs. They have not been registered so are still new. So not eligible for CPO, at least according to one SA I spoke to.

Are these possible track cars?

I recall looking at AMG's a few years ago and there was a flood of well optioned E63's that hit the market. Turns out they were all AMG driving academy cars and we know how those were treated.

I assume even for a low mileage car like this, still probably prudent to do a PPI and get a DME report, huh? Looking at 7mt cars.
Old 01-20-2016, 05:17 PM
Grunty
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Make sure it wasn't driven by Doug DeMunro from Jalopnik before buying it. Nothing good seems to come from any of the car interactions he has.

On a more helpful note, yes the porsche driving school does sell the cars yearly, so it's entirely possible that the sweet gt4 you buy is the one I downshifted into second a bit too early and added a definitive black mark to its overrev history.
Old 01-20-2016, 05:21 PM
Vise
Drifting

Received 332 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by Grunty
Make sure it wasn't driven by Doug DeMunro from Jalopnik before buying it. Nothing good seems to come from any of the car interactions he has.

His articles/videos are quite entertaining though... I was laughing at his latest video with the Aston Martin + warranty.
Old 01-20-2016, 05:23 PM
Grunty
Burning Brakes

To be fair, I'd have no problems buying any of the pdk cars used by the school. I have never seen anything bad happen to the cars in the times I have gone to the school.
Old 01-20-2016, 05:32 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

Why not just pick one up from Avis after a couple years' rental fleet use?

Seriously, it's bad enough buying a used car of any type, but at least if it's from the owner himself you can meet him/her and make some sort of educated guess as to whether they would have likely taken good care of their own car.

But a car who's entire life -- every single last mile -- has been driven by people who don't own it and will never see it again? Man, not for me. If my budget dictated I spend 15% or 20% less than new car cost, I'd just move down to a new lower priced model, OR buy a low-miles car from a private party.
Old 01-20-2016, 05:38 PM
Grunty
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Why not just pick one up from Avis after a couple years' rental fleet use?

Seriously, it's bad enough buying a used car of any type, but at least if it's from the owner himself you can meet him/her and make some sort of educated guess as to whether they would have likely taken good care of their own car.

But a car who's entire life -- every single last mile -- has been driven by people who don't own it and will never see it again? Man, not for me.
Agreed. However the school keeps the cars in top notch shape. Rental cars are a whole different story. But yeah, not ideal. Just sayin'.
Old 01-20-2016, 05:41 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

^^ Yeah, I'm sure the maintenance/repair of the school's cars will be top notch. But think of the question from this prespective:

What if the school came to you and said, "We'd like to use YOUR car for our school for the next year. We'll maintain it and if it gets pranged we'll get it repaired, but it will be driven by random yahoos for a month/quarter/year."

Even with a substantial payment from them I'd not be interested in that deal. But everybody's different -- it's why there's a buyer for literally everything that's for sale, provided the price is right.
Old 01-20-2016, 06:28 PM
shellbmb
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I'm not 100% of the history so I can't say it's a track car. I don't even know enough about Porsche track days to comment. Build sheet just says "press vehicle." It's a 7mt so I wouldn't think it would be a track car. Dealer says they bought it from Porsche corporate.
Old 01-20-2016, 06:37 PM
Vise
Drifting

Received 332 Likes on 205 Posts

A ''press vehicle" is likely even worse... motoring journalists are known to flog press cars hard/often and I'm pretty sure they aren't concerned with bringing the oil up to temp or break-in protocols etc. Particularly when the car in question is a sports car icon like the 911.

Buyer beware...
Old 01-20-2016, 07:15 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,632 Likes on 2,358 Posts

Originally Posted by Vise
A ''press vehicle" is likely even worse... motoring journalists are known to flog press cars hard/often and I'm pretty sure they aren't concerned with bringing the oil up to temp or break-in protocols etc. Particularly when the car in question is a sports car icon like the 911.

Buyer beware...
+1
Old 01-20-2016, 07:17 PM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

Yeah, press cars are something I would stay away from... I was at a PCNA tech event last year at their NE training facility, and they brought-in one of the 918 press cars.... Man was it banged-up! I am sure that Porsche will fix the car up nice before selling, but seeing how abused that 918 was sent shivers down my spine! Anyway- there are three designations, right? Press, Release vehicle, and fleet, right? I can't recall what the codes are for each...
Old 01-20-2016, 07:24 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 240 Posts

You should have no problem obtaining an engine history if its a Porsche car, just ask for it. Once you have it, you will able to detect how used or abused it really is. If they won't release that information, run and never look back.
Old 01-20-2016, 07:40 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Any of these cars have had the shi* beat out of them since day one. No sloppy seconds for me.

I love how they say "executive driven" as if that means anything positive? What would be worse, ex-con driven? Carjack driven?

I'm sure the ecu history is wiped clean too.
Old 01-20-2016, 07:44 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

I would pass.
Old 01-21-2016, 09:35 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by STG991
Any of these cars have had the shi* beat out of them since day one. No sloppy seconds for me.

I love how they say "executive driven" as if that means anything positive? What would be worse, ex-con driven? Carjack driven?

I'm sure the ecu history is wiped clean too.
Worse is -- it could have been in a Fast and Furious movie.

Quick Reply: Any concerns about a "741 press vehicle."