Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT(Ag) GTS Paint Protection and Opti Pro Plus (Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 12:43 PM
fastdiablo
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Interesting that you got your headlights successfully done with all the delam issues. I wish I could wrap them but don't want to chance it.
Old 01-19-2016, 01:02 PM
PatrickC23
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fastdiablo
Interesting that you got your headlights successfully done with all the delam issues. I wish I could wrap them but don't want to chance it.
I went back and forth, did some research on here. I think one PP installer chimed in and mentioned it is OK as long as you know how to properly remove it (if you mess up the first time).

When I mentioned it to Lee, he immediately replied "You mean the delaminating issue?" That told me he knew about it so I was fine doing it. I just didn't want the lens to get all pitted as I do not want to deal with that in the future.
Old 01-19-2016, 01:07 PM
PatrickC23
Racer

Originally Posted by fastdiablo
Here is the thread that I found about de-lamination, sounds like it will happen when you remove the film, guess its a question of installing it right the first time.

Post #10

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8752...for-991-a.html
Old 01-20-2016, 01:13 AM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Received 126 Likes on 104 Posts

any chance you can post a close-up pic of the area around the porsche crest on the hood? curious how much of a seam or edge there is in place like this and if it's very noticeable.
Old 01-20-2016, 01:38 AM
holgum
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by titleistaddict87
any chance you can post a close-up pic of the area around the porsche crest on the hood? curious how much of a seam or edge there is in place like this and if it's very noticeable.
When I had mine done they removed the badge before applying Xpel and Opticoat so there is no visible seam or edge whatsoever.
Old 01-20-2016, 09:44 AM
PatrickC23
Racer

Of course, I'll take one tonight. Come to think of it I never even really looked. They did pull the headlights, but I doubt they pulled the crest as I've read how it isn't that easy to do. I actually would prefer them to have not pulled the crest - for me, the less invasive the better. I went into it assuming I would have some visible seams.
Old 02-05-2016, 03:33 PM
PatrickC23
Racer

Totally forgot about this, here is that close up pic.

Old 02-05-2016, 04:23 PM
Vise
Drifting

Received 328 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by holgum
When I had mine done they removed the badge before applying Xpel and Opticoat so there is no visible seam or edge whatsoever.
Same here and that was my preference. When washing the car the film in that area would be easy to catch on so hopefully it doesn't cause any issues.
Old 02-05-2016, 09:11 PM
trucheli
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I have done the same coverage on my 2015 GTS White Sport Design. Suntek was used and I am really happy with the results so far, since I have been correcting paint for more than ten years I just polished the clear before clear film installation, I didn't think that was necessary to coat before or after clear film installation but to each it's own. I was recommended not to put any film on the headlights because they have experience delamination after pulling the film from the headlights. I wonder if the installer mentioned this to you or not.
Old 02-06-2016, 03:52 PM
PatrickC23
Racer

Originally Posted by trucheli
I have done the same coverage on my 2015 GTS White Sport Design. Suntek was used and I am really happy with the results so far, since I have been correcting paint for more than ten years I just polished the clear before clear film installation, I didn't think that was necessary to coat before or after clear film installation but to each it's own. I was recommended not to put any film on the headlights because they have experience delamination after pulling the film from the headlights. I wonder if the installer mentioned this to you or not.
I knew about the delamination from my research here and my installer did know about it. I chose to do it because I was confident my guy would do it correctly the first time. I preferred having it done over getting rock chips/pitting on the headlamp covers. Hopefully it never needs to be removed while I have the car.

Ive heard very good things about Suntek as well, pretty sure it's on my wife's ****** Wrangler. Toss up with XPel according to my installer, I only chose XPel because I had it before.

They did coat the XPel with Opti Pro Plus as well, guess it was just part of the service.
Old 02-07-2016, 04:04 PM
Zucc
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by holgum
Same here.
Old 02-07-2016, 04:17 PM
roadwellheeled
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Patrick,

Great review and process steps. Its helpful too that the car is GT Silver Metallic.

Many thanks,

Todd
Old 02-08-2016, 04:42 PM
Fahad@Robust
7th Gear

Originally Posted by LexVan
Are you noticing any differences/nuances between the Pro and Pro Plus? Gloss/shine? Slickness (I think this is where the main difference is)? Thanks.
As someone who has installed several Opti-Coat & Pro Plus, I can state that the difference in gloss is marginal and can mostly be noted by a keen eye in a side by side comparison. It's one of those cases where it's very hard to tell on one panel comparisons but between two cars(one with OCP and other with OCP+), the difference is noticeable and marginal. The feel of the two is vastly different. Pro is a bit tacky (or kinda like how you feel a thick, oily surface) while the Pro Plus is silky smooth. The third difference is Pro+ is resistant to water spotting. That's about it.

Forgot to mention, the car looks spectacular! Great job there!
Old 02-10-2016, 03:09 PM
PatrickC23
Racer

Originally Posted by Fahad@Robust
As someone who has installed several Opti-Coat & Pro Plus, I can state that the difference in gloss is marginal and can mostly be noted by a keen eye in a side by side comparison. It's one of those cases where it's very hard to tell on one panel comparisons but between two cars(one with OCP and other with OCP+), the difference is noticeable and marginal. The feel of the two is vastly different. Pro is a bit tacky (or kinda like how you feel a thick, oily surface) while the Pro Plus is silky smooth. The third difference is Pro+ is resistant to water spotting. That's about it.

Forgot to mention, the car looks spectacular! Great job there!
Looking forward to washing the GTS on my own to see if I can tell a difference between the Pro and Pro+ - thanks for pointing out the differences.
Old 02-11-2016, 02:22 AM
satoru
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PatrickC23
The wait was killer for me, so paranoid about getting a rock chip before getting it in. I see you are in Hawaii, at least you dont need to worry about road salt and sand. Beach sand and salt are a different story.
Yup in Hawaii but living in the middle of the ocean we do have salt air to deal with, beach sand not too much try to stay away from it. Decided to do film/coating, thanks for the inspiration I think in the long run will be worth it, might even consider doin film from doors back after.

Quick Reply: GT(Ag) GTS Paint Protection and Opti Pro Plus (Pics)