Sponsored by:

Service History

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 11:30 AM
raaizin
Racer

Received 153 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Service History

I am looking at a 2013 at a Porsche dealer, can a service history be pulled up from one dealer even if it were serviced at another dealer?
Old 01-17-2016, 11:45 AM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 88 Posts

They don't like it, will even claim some bogus privacy stuff, but it can be done. I negotiated on a price, gave them a deposit, and said that closure on the deal was based on them getting all the service paperwork. My car had a car fax hit on it (which I was clearly taking advantage of) but I wanted to see the service/repair records to confirm it was the minor hit they had claimed it to be.

Recipe:
1) negotiate price and confirm intent to purchase
2) put down small confirmation deposit
3) do not return to complete the transaction until they call you and tell you that they have all of the paperwork

BTW - It took them about 2 weeks to get the paperwork, the dealership where I bought the car was about 100 miles from the dealership that did the work.

I doubt they would get you the paperwork while you are still "shopping", and you can always get your deposit back and walk away from the deal if you discover something in the paperwork.
Old 01-17-2016, 11:57 AM
holgum
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

I got the 'privacy' excuse when I tried to get history on my car from both the selling dealer. I didn't really press it because carfax was clean, it only had 1800 miles, and it was CPO.
After I got it home, my local service advisor said he didn't have access to it.
Very annoying in that it's all online these days.
Maybe I need to take the Service Manager out to dinner.
Old 01-17-2016, 12:19 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 857 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by raaizin
I am looking at a 2013 at a Porsche dealer, can a service history be pulled up from one dealer even if it were serviced at another dealer?
Could always post up a picture, where the car is located and the last few numbers of the VIN and see if the owner is in here.
Old 01-17-2016, 04:56 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 708 Likes on 323 Posts

I had the warranty repair history pulled on mine from a dealer I did not buy it from. They were very happy to do it for me.

They said that only the dealer that serviced it could pull the service history and that most likely that would be only available to the owner who had it done.

Warranty history was enough for me - I wanted to make sure that there were no repeated failure items (lemon?) or a lot of electrical gremlins. A PPI also made me feel confident in my purchase.
Old 01-17-2016, 05:10 PM
raaizin
Racer

Received 153 Likes on 72 Posts

I am new to this I thought service history would cover all service on the car warranty and customer paid. Can Warranty history be pulled by any dealer or just the dealer who provided the warranty work
Old 01-17-2016, 05:34 PM
Hothonda
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Yes.....about a year ago I was looking at an out of state car I found on line. Gave the Vin to a local dealer service mgr & got the info.
Old 01-17-2016, 06:25 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Hothonda
Yes.....about a year ago I was looking at an out of state car I found on line. Gave the Vin to a local dealer service mgr & got the info.
Correct - All service done by Porsche dealers is in the system tied to the VIN # and accessible to any dealer logging into the database.
Old 01-17-2016, 06:45 PM
Homeles
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 84 Posts

I bought my first Porsche 40 years ago. Always keep every piece of paperwork for each car that went with them when they were sold. My 62 was bought in 82, full restoration in 84, and I still have every bit of documentation!
Old 01-17-2016, 08:22 PM
TrappistMonk
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes, I even had a dealer pulling the history on a 993 I was looking at that was for sale by a private party. I asked the service manager and not the sales manager and he replied quickly with the service history

Quick Reply: Service History