Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is my GTS broken in enough to flog it now?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 10:10 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by fastdiablo
Interesting. I asked my service advisor about doing a 1000 mile oil change in my GTS, and he recommended against it because at 1000 miles he said the rings and other parts won't have adequate time to break in and seat. He recommended waiting to 2000 at the earliest. Given he has worked for Porsche for 15 years and is essentially a commissioned salesperson for their service dept, I found this advice compelling. He wanted $300 to do an oil change, naturally I'll be doing that one myself with parts from Pelican and 0W Mobile per the manual.
Please do two things today:

1) find and read my UAO thread about my documented oil changes since new on my 991

2) find and read Kevin's (owner or UMW) post here on the 991 Forum about oil, Mobil 5W50, and my UOAs

Let me know if you need help finding the links. I can help you tomorrow, if needed, when I'm on my laptop. Hard to search with the app.
Old 01-17-2016, 10:15 AM
LexVan
Banned

Even Porsche's Mr A. P. himself, the guy heading up GT car development, recommends an early (1,000-ish) oil change, and a gradual increase of the usable rev range over a period of time (more than 1,000 miles and slightly less than 2,000).
Old 01-17-2016, 10:21 AM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i like to do a gradual break in [as you are doing] .remember you are getting broken in with the car so spit the difference and see how the car and you react to say 7 k shifts for a few hundred miles then go to red line . i would not change oil until at least 3k.

Last edited by extanker; 01-17-2016 at 10:31 AM. Reason: ooooppps my bad....red line....tanks lex
Old 01-17-2016, 10:24 AM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by extanker
then go to 9k .
You can do that exactly once on a GTS. Then buy new crate motor. Rinse and repeat.
Old 01-17-2016, 10:34 AM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Since most of these car dont get driven excessively like hondas. With hi milage or other wise. I don't believe most 991 owners will see the long or short term benefits of optimized break in or even optimized maintenance. At the rate I am driving I'll be lucky to get 60k miles in ten years.
I'm more concerned about the manufacturers build quality at that rate. If it holds together. Under my stress testing while under warranty. It will turn out to be a good motor. If it doesn't. Well than porsche will owe me a new motor. I know my thinking may be a little strange to some. The bottom line is that the product if good from the start will most likely be good going foward.
Old 01-17-2016, 11:10 AM
hsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I had my oil changed around 1,300 miles and i probably won't make it to 2k miles before my first track day (april 18th). So I'm going to try to go somewhat easy at my track day however i'm not too sure how successful that will be.
Old 01-17-2016, 11:46 AM
drsubie
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbo1111
Since most of these car dont get driven excessively like hondas. With hi milage or other wise. I don't believe most 991 owners will see the long or short term benefits of optimized break in or even optimized maintenance. At the rate I am driving I'll be lucky to get 60k miles in ten years.
I'm more concerned about the manufacturers build quality at that rate. If it holds together. Under my stress testing while under warranty. It will turn out to be a good motor. If it doesn't. Well than porsche will owe me a new motor. I know my thinking may be a little strange to some. The bottom line is that the product if good from the start will most likely be good going foward.
Sound advice...I sometimes feel frequent/excessive oil changes are more for treating my own paranoia, rather than extending the lifespan of the car or optimizing it's power.
Old 01-17-2016, 12:04 PM
holgum
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

My thinking on break-in has always been 'why take a chance by not following recommendation?'. It doesn't take that long to get to 2k miles anyway. I'm usually so excited about the new vehicle I drive it every chance I get so I don't think I've ever taken more than a couple of months to get there. After the initial excitement wears off, I reserve it for nice days.
Old 01-17-2016, 03:10 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 159 Posts

Good thoughts and interesting perspectives. Thanks guys.
Jim
Old 01-17-2016, 03:51 PM
Tangerine
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by holgum
My thinking on break-in has always been 'why take a chance by not following recommendation?'.
I think the problem lies in what a recommendation should be and how it plays out in the real world. Everything I've heard from mechanic types over the years seem to indicate you need to "seat" everything in the engine and increase stress on it over time. When you tell people to baby it, how many of them do? They probably stress it here and there, and the result is exactly what you'd want to see.

But if someone literally does baby the engine for the first 2000 miles, then goes flat out, you're not getting that gradual stress where any imperfections are worked out over time.

I imagine it a bit like the drinking age in the US. No alcohol until 21, then on your 21st birthday get blackout drunk. End up in emergency room, your body and brain does not know how to deal with that kind of sudden stress on your body.

Anyway, just my two cents, I am not a mechanic but I have follwed the "ease into it and do more and more toward the 2000 mile mark" and haven't seen a downside. But anything like that statement is anecdotal at best, it doesn't account for a ton of other factors and variables.

Quick Reply: Is my GTS broken in enough to flog it now?