Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help or a really good shrink!

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2016, 01:07 AM
Gcracker07110
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help or a really good shrink!

My C4S is coming off lease and I was so sure I was going to buy a GTS 4 when I went to the dealership today but they only have with pdk, they do have a GTS with stick (rear wheel drive) and then I test drove a turbo and placed the order for the turbo!

I loved my C4S for the stick and the fact that it makes a great sound from the NA engine love winding it up the rev range. So naturally GTS was appealing but then I drove the Turbo and the speed and the manner in which it lays down the power is incredible.

I placed the order on the turbo and supposed to pick up in 10 hours but having remorse about not sticking with my GTS game plan. Price is not an issue they are within 15k of each other it's the philosophical challenge of stick vs pdk and NA vs forced induction

Please someone talk me off this ledge
Old 01-16-2016, 02:04 AM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 804 Likes on 401 Posts

You know there are more dealerships in the country that might have the car you were originally looking for.

But I like to see another PDK convert.
Old 01-16-2016, 02:08 AM
Gcracker07110
Rennlist Member

I love driving stick DD my C4S with stick. Not averse to pdk it's very slick just concerned about lack of driving involvement without something to row. Dealership has GTS with stick in the right color with the right options so all good there. Worried I will miss my pse button with the turbo. It's such a great sound...... But with all that said the raw power in the turbo is well, intoxicating

8 hours and 46 minutes till I have to make a final decision....
Old 01-16-2016, 02:36 AM
Gcracker07110
Rennlist Member

Decision made staying with the Turbo
Old 01-16-2016, 02:40 AM
TD Pcar
Advanced

Geez, I wish I was on this ledge to be talked off of.. GTS or Turbo - how can you go wrong either way?
Old 01-16-2016, 02:46 AM
AF330i
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts

The turbo is going to be incredible plus I really like the whole new experience of learning to drive with the PDK. I'm not talking about putting it in drive and going, I'm talking about learning to shift it and playing with the gears and just plain out learning it is a new experience plus all that power ... That is awesome !!

I have a manual 991 and bought an R8 with the r tronic which is a single automated clutch not nearly as good as the PDK and I really enjoyed learning to drive something completely different then your typical automatic or manual transmission.

Congrats and post some pics when you get it !!
Old 01-16-2016, 04:39 AM
OMG Noooooo....
Racer

If you struggle over this decision, you already know the answer.
Old 01-16-2016, 04:52 AM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 277 Posts

I would recommend caution - the mistake of PDK or Manual choice is an expensive one to make!

I recently went dual clutch (BMW DCT) after 25 years driving manuals - lost interest in my car and sold it after a year and a nice bath on the new purchase.

You may find you love it so you never know, but as someone who made the leap and said - "why not I like it in the test drive it will be fine" - I regretted it. If you like shifting as superior as a PDK is for speed, manual is in your blood IMO.
Old 01-16-2016, 12:26 PM
Mlbraptor
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had sticks for years; this last time , I went with the PDK.
So far : I am loving it...
Old 01-16-2016, 12:50 PM
hsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I've had 2 DCT M3's and i loved it. I would leave it manual mode at all times (i never drove in auto mode). In my opinion, it greatly enhanced the driving experience and driver involvement. If i got a PDK, i would do the same.
Old 01-16-2016, 12:50 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

I'm a dyed in the wool manual person, but went with a Turbo and its PDK, and am still loving it. It is a different involvement, and you will get spoiled by the torque and power of the turbo. You will love the way the PDK shifts faster than the blink of an eye.
Old 01-16-2016, 01:07 PM
Yard Dog
Instructor

I own a MT GTS and love it. My SR called to offer a very good deal on a very low mileage TTS and after driving it I loved it. You will especially enjoy the rear wheel steering, and, of course, the power is intoxicating. I wanted a MT, but I think I could have made the adjustment to PDK in that car and been happy about it. You may get bored with PDK as some have, but a quick run up the freeway ought to dispel your ennui. As others have posted, I would probably keep it in manual mode and shift myself.

The sound factor gets over played on these boards and I wouldn't worry about it.

The offer on the TTS was good, but the trade in was too big a hit so I kept my GTS. I'm happy. I think you will be, too.

Shouldn't you be posting the build or pictures?
Old 01-16-2016, 01:22 PM
c_Gio
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

MT. One day you'll be old, feeble, and coordination will slip. Then buy PDK.
Old 01-16-2016, 02:02 PM
strumbringer
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I made the exact same decision and have not regretted it for a second. Go with the Turbo!
Old 01-16-2016, 02:40 PM
Tangerine
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 70 Posts

I love the chore of shifting to be honest. In the new GTS if you're in the mode where you get rev matching...that is as much "cheating" as I can live with. Not even sure if I find it ok yet, because it lets you shift really fast and smooth with almost no effort.

If you find manual shifting to be second nature, the 7MT is incredibly easy I find. Coming from a manual S4, and a manual Cooper S before that. (and other cars before that which are embarrassing to mention)

I try to talk people into PDK if they are unsure. Absolutely don't get a manual because "it's what enthusiasts prefer" or because you think it's cool. It's deeply personal and I don't think you should ask anyone's input on that choice. Anyone who tells you your decision was wrong is a fool, because you didn't pick for them, you pick for yourself. Drive them both as much as you can and you'll just know.

Really don't meant to turn this into MT vs PDK, just as a huge lover of MT myself I hate to see people try to project their own preference on others. It's a deeply personal thing.

The only slight thing to caution is that sometimes people who love manuals try PDK and find it plenty fun (I do too) but they may or may not develop a bit of boredom with it after a few months or even years. Which is why I say drive it as much as you can to get past the honeymoon phase and see if you can imagine what it would be like day to day.

Anyway, great choice, hard to believe they were within $15K of one another. Great deal on the Turbo or was dealer trying to take advantage of one of the remaining GTSs?

Quick Reply: Need help or a really good shrink!