991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Change - before or after AX?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2016 | 09:36 PM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

Yes, you should flush the brakes before the AX.

I am curious - there are two of you guys that say this. What is your rationale? I have NEVER flushed by brakes to go to an autocross and I have plenty of cheap plastic trophies to show off that say I was pretty good at doing it - even at the National level.

I have never, ever got my brakes hot enough to get to a boil point on an autocross. A typical run is less than 1 minute, most around around 40 to 50 seconds. A really long course might be 1 minute 10 seconds. Its hard enough to build heat in an R-Comp tire to get some stick, much less get the brakes hot enough to get up to 500 degrees - ain't happening. I think this is poor advice to give out....

Now on track days, where you do multiple laps for 20 minute sessions or longer, yes - you can boil your fluid if you are running super-hard and aggressive. That's a different scenario.
Old 01-17-2016 | 09:38 PM
Slantnose!
Rennlist Member

I wouldn't worry about doing that either...maybe after a full season.
Old 01-17-2016 | 09:42 PM
todd92
Racer

I made the assumption that he was on the cusp of needing a brake flush anyway, maybe wrong about that. If it was almost time, I would flush before. I have had the pleasure a couple of times boiling brake fluid during extended hard track sessions. Kind of gets your attention. Agreed that AX can't begin to put that much heat into the brakes.
Old 01-17-2016 | 10:03 PM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by drcollie
I am curious - there are two of you guys that say this. What is your rationale? .
It sounded to me like the poster was coming up on his 2 year interval.

Out PCA Region requires "fluid up and present in the reservoir" for autoX. Pads at 4mm (3mm for drum).

For DE, we require a fluid flush 90 days or less prior to event, and no prior events in between. 50% min on pads.
Old 01-18-2016 | 12:43 AM
JayG
Three Wheelin'

when in doubt, change the oil.

Its an easy DIY and if you buy your oil at Wallyworld, 2 5 quart bottles is around $53. For the oil filter go to TC's Garage in San Marcos. Tom stocks the oil filters and if you are PCA member (required if you are going to do the PCASDR AX on Feb 5) he gives you a discount so it is around $11 IIRC

IMHO, don't go over 5k miles on an oil change

Brake flush/bleed is also easy DIY
Get a Motive power bleeder. TC's garage also has them a a good price
http://www.tcsgarage.com

PM me if you like, I live in RB
Old 01-18-2016 | 12:00 PM
budrichard
Banned

Originally Posted by LexVan
How many miles are on the September oil change? Any high speed or autoX events since then?

AutoX is not that hard on the car. Runs are short and speeds are not excessive.

If you're close to 5,000 miles, change before. If a couple thousand miles, change after the February event.

DE events would yield different advice.
+1
-Richard

Quick Reply: Oil Change - before or after AX?