Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

De-badging - bad idea on 2 year old car?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2016 | 07:33 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

So, I am curious.
For those folks interested in a 'de-badged 991 on order out from Porsche, is this option a viable solution which can easily just be checked off on the forms ?

Does it cost extra ? Is it a complete delete, or does the P-O-R-S-C-H-E lettering still remain.... I believe I was once informed it could not be deleted; only the model designation.

Ending the overly cluttered look which so many of us detest.
Old 01-13-2016 | 06:10 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Video of how it is done and how to build a "template" to rebadge:

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/re...26.html#agal_0
Old 01-13-2016 | 06:12 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by mrgreenjeans
So, I am curious.
For those folks interested in a 'de-badged 991 on order out from Porsche, is this option a viable solution which can easily just be checked off on the forms ?

Does it cost extra ? Is it a complete delete, or does the P-O-R-S-C-H-E lettering still remain.... I believe I was once informed it could not be deleted; only the model designation.

Ending the overly cluttered look which so many of us detest.
Cannot completely debadge. "Porsche" must remain and model can be deleted.
Old 06-02-2016 | 06:46 PM
shellbmb
Advanced

Any update on this thread? Interested in doing the same thing.
Old 06-02-2016 | 06:51 PM
roadrat
Pro

Originally Posted by shellbmb
Any update on this thread? Interested in doing the same thing.
Sure. It turned out fine. I need to wax it to remove some surface scratches that resulted from the glue removal. Other than that it's great. I love the new look.
Old 06-02-2016 | 06:54 PM
roadrat
Pro

Originally Posted by roadrat
Sure. It turned out fine. I need to wax it to remove some surface scratches that resulted from the glue removal. Other than that it's great. I love the new look.

Last edited by roadrat; 06-03-2016 at 09:11 AM.
Old 06-02-2016 | 07:34 PM
Peruna
Racer

To aid with glue removal in the past, I have used Goo Gone with great results. They make an automotive variant you can get at most automotive shops.
Old 06-04-2016 | 12:22 AM
Gr8ful1
Instructor

I want to replace the chrome letters with black ones. Anyone know where I can them? Maybe the OEM part numbers or diagram.
Thanks
Old 06-04-2016 | 12:55 AM
oalvarez
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Gr8ful1
I want to replace the chrome letters with black ones. Anyone know where I can them? Maybe the OEM part numbers or diagram.
Thanks
Suncoast.
Old 06-04-2016 | 12:56 AM
oalvarez
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Gr8ful1
Thanks
Suncoast Porsche.
Old 06-04-2016 | 02:16 AM
Green_Hornet
Racer

Looks nice blank. I think I would leave it that way or add back only the GTS.
Old 06-05-2016 | 07:13 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ispool
To aid with glue removal in the past, I have used Goo Gone with great results. They make an automotive variant you can get at most automotive shops.
Yes works well just don't leave any tape used for alignment on too long. I did so and have a few faint marks on my paint where the tape was left on for alignment. Visible only very close up and at certain angles but still noticeable IF I look for it. Will likely need to re-spray the bumper at some point anyway to remove a few rock/road rash scratches and will take care of that then. But the clearcoat is soft on these cars! Be careful!

Only additional issue you may have is that after removal of the extra line "911 Carrera S" or whatever the PORSCHE lettering my sit a bit high to some folks eyes since the added line is now gone. I didn't shift minde down or seek to recenter it but that is always an option I guess especially if you make your own stencil to reletter the car. The dealership BTW does have a $600 stencil centering tool I was told from Porsche to use when they do it on their dime...but that costs 1hr of CHARGEABLE Porsche labor...NO thanks!

Dental floss works great!

Used Suncoast Porsche for the black statin lettering. Much better than the busy rear on the OEM car. Too much lettering for me.

Yes and depending on how long the badges were on the car and what area/sun exposure you may see some fading that requires a repaint. After numerous buffing/waxing I still have some very faint outlines which I think are in/thru the clear coat I will need to get taken care of...mine is a CPO car BTW. Also depending on how long emblems were on the car you may have an easier time of leftover lettering adhesive removal or not. As you can see from pic 3 below after using dental floss my chrome letters came off easily enough but I had a devil of a time getting the remaining adhesive backing off! Heat BTW does help so even heating the surface with a hot air gun/wife's blow dryer or letting sit in the sun on a hot day helps.
Attached Images       

Last edited by mdrobc1213; 06-06-2016 at 12:12 AM.
Old 06-05-2016 | 10:12 PM
roadrat
Pro

Originally Posted by mdrobc1213
Yes works well just don't leave any tape used for alignment on too long. I did so and have a few faint marks on my paint where the tape was left on for alignment. Visible only very close up and at certain angles but still noticeable IF I look for it. Will likely need to re-spray the bumper at some point anyway to remove a few rock/road rash scratches and will take care of that then. But the clearcoat is soft on these cars! Be careful!

Dental floss works great!

Used Suncoast Porsche for the black statin lettering. Much better than the busy rear on the OEM car. Too much lettering for me.

Yes and depending on how long the badges were on the car and what area/sun exposure you may see some fading that requires a repaint. After numerous buffing/waxing I still have some very faint outlines which I think are in/thru the clear coat I will need to get taken care of...mine is a CPO car BTW. Also depending on how long emblems were on the car you may have an easier time of leftover lettering adhesive removal or not. As you can see from pic 3 below after using dental floss my chrome letters came off easily enough but I have a devil of a time getting the remaining adhesive backing off! Heat BTW does help so even heating the surface with a hot air gun/wife's blow dryer or letting sit in the sun on a hot day helps.
That looks great!
Old 06-05-2016 | 10:31 PM
Karl911
Burning Brakes

I change y 991 TTS to 997 Turbo S

Last edited by Karl911; 01-31-2021 at 05:04 AM.
Old 06-06-2016 | 12:30 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

That looks great!
Thanks.

One thing I did notice is that the vertical centering may seem a bit off using the OEM placement since it is centered for 2 lines of script coming from the factory. After removal of the "Carrera S" part the remaining PORSCHE lettering sits a bit high to some eyes but I do like the cleaner look and black PORSCHE lettering and yes the P-O-R-S-C-H-E must remain just didn't need the detailed model info on the back!

Last edited by mdrobc1213; 06-12-2016 at 10:25 PM.

Quick Reply: De-badging - bad idea on 2 year old car?