Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

23 hours of driving later, I've got the car home!

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 08:51 PM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Great story! Great car! Thanks for sharing!
Old 01-07-2016, 08:56 PM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 86 Posts

Nice build, beautiful car. That long first drive home can be a lot of fun. Your drive on I95 reminds me of a joke.

So this old man buys a Porsche and is driving on I95. Not a car in site so he gives it the beans, goes under an overpass and there's Johnny Law, quickly in pursuit. The old man looks in his rear view mirror, notices the cop is in a Dodge Charger and thinks "forget this" and stomps the gas and starts rowing gears. Finally he looks down and notices he's going 175 mph and thinks "What am I doing, this is crazy", so reality kicks in and he pulls over.

It takes a full 60 seconds for the cop to catch up to him, but he does. So the cop gets out of the car and walks up to the old man and says, "My shift is almost over and if you can give me a good excuse for your behavior I'll let you go."

The old man looks the cop straight in the eye, as serious as can be, and says, "Sorry officer but you have to understand, my wife left me for a state trooper about 10 years ago - and I thought you were trying to return her."
Old 01-07-2016, 09:52 PM
911sccab
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Epic trip! What a great way to enjoy your new friend, and getting to the kids' school was icing on the cake!
Old 01-07-2016, 10:05 PM
philipatl
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome trip. I bought a C2s a few years ago and drove it from Dallas to Atlanta -- great times with these cars on long trips!
Old 01-08-2016, 09:28 AM
Shawn C
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

THATS FUNNY!!

Originally Posted by Jabs1542
Nice build, beautiful car. That long first drive home can be a lot of fun. Your drive on I95 reminds me of a joke.

So this old man buys a Porsche and is driving on I95. Not a car in site so he gives it the beans, goes under an overpass and there's Johnny Law, quickly in pursuit. The old man looks in his rear view mirror, notices the cop is in a Dodge Charger and thinks "forget this" and stomps the gas and starts rowing gears. Finally he looks down and notices he's going 175 mph and thinks "What am I doing, this is crazy", so reality kicks in and he pulls over.

It takes a full 60 seconds for the cop to catch up to him, but he does. So the cop gets out of the car and walks up to the old man and says, "My shift is almost over and if you can give me a good excuse for your behavior I'll let you go."

The old man looks the cop straight in the eye, as serious as can be, and says, "Sorry officer but you have to understand, my wife left me for a state trooper about 10 years ago - and I thought you were trying to return her."
Old 01-08-2016, 09:37 AM
gsxr_fvr
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Indeed a Great story. Joy & excitement of picking up a new car with these trips is priceless. Only a real car guy would do such insanity.
Old 01-08-2016, 10:48 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Shawn C
Thanks, Just checked it was 7hrs
My daughter lives in Nashville so we make the trip fairly often. Did you enjoy the run up and over Monteagle? It is a great place to enjoy the more sporting character of your Porsche.

"Route description[edit]
One of the more hazardous stretches of Interstate highway in the United States[citation needed] is located approximately 40 miles (64 km) west of Chattanooga on I-24 in Monteagle, where the highway crosses the Cumberland Plateau. "
Old 01-08-2016, 11:15 AM
Mlbraptor
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like you had a great time. Enjoy your car...
Old 01-08-2016, 12:17 PM
Ski Porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 76 Posts

Great story and an epic drive! I bought my car from a dealer in St. Louis, no trade so I had a one way drive over two days to Utah. It's a terrific way to get to know your car. Happy trails.
Old 01-08-2016, 07:06 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 833 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
"Route description[edit]
One of the more hazardous stretches of Interstate highway in the United States[citation needed] is located approximately 40 miles (64 km) west of Chattanooga on I-24 in Monteagle, where the highway crosses the Cumberland Plateau. "
I drive from the Nashville area to Chattanooga often and love this part of the highway especially when you hit it just right with little to no trucks. Unfortunately they are policing the southbound lane a little more now so be careful.
Old 01-08-2016, 08:22 PM
RichAA
Racer

This summer I'd been with the same company for 20 years, and on my last day, instead of showing up, I flew to SLC to pick up my Carrera and drive home to Minneapolis. First stop, of course, was for a Double Double: (sorry, OP, for the thread detour)

Old 01-09-2016, 12:12 AM
mmaturo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Demographics at play here...I think I have the exact same watch never mind the car. Great looking car, set up great, congrats! I love buying and driving the cars a ways if out of state to learn the feel and kill off the break in miles. Drove my new RS7 from Chicago where I buy my Audi's to Florida. I really enjoy the drives.
Old 01-09-2016, 12:43 AM
mdkrp
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts

Sweet car and drive it in good health!
Nice Panny by the way.
PS: my son loves it when I pick him up from school in my car.
Old 01-09-2016, 12:49 AM
hawc
Racer

Congrats. Tell me more about the watch. I'm on the verge of buying one (but may go Rolex instead.) Do you like the size? Does it stay wound or do you have to wind it constantly (not sure which model you have) any issues? Looks good with the Porsche. But then so do Rolexes.
Old 01-09-2016, 01:34 AM
Vise
Drifting

Received 320 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by hawc
Congrats. Tell me more about the watch. I'm on the verge of buying one (but may go Rolex instead.) Do you like the size? Does it stay wound or do you have to wind it constantly (not sure which model you have) any issues? Looks good with the Porsche. But then so do Rolexes.
PAM all the way! Rolex is nice and all but a dime a dozen... I prefer Omega for a diver as it is a bit more low key.

Panerai however is a whole other thing, I've yet to add one to my collection but had my eye on them for years. I was close a year ago but ended up buying a new 911 instead.

Quick Reply: 23 hours of driving later, I've got the car home!