Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New GTS or CPO S and depreciation question

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 11:43 PM
Scorponok
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 43 Posts

With respect to future collectibility, I would imagine only the MT 991 or GT models will hold value or go up like the 993. Everything going forward will be PDK given its an amazing technology, so any 991 that has PDK (except GT models) probably won't be considered "collectible".

So MT would be the rarer car to seek I imagine.

Are automatic 993's commanding as high a premium as the MT ones?
Old 12-31-2015, 12:10 AM
c_Gio
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by k997
With respect to future collectibility, I would imagine only the MT 991 or GT models will hold value or go up like the 993. Everything going forward will be PDK given its an amazing technology, so any 991 that has PDK (except GT models) probably won't be considered "collectible".

So MT would be the rarer car to seek I imagine.

Are automatic 993's commanding as high a premium as the MT ones?
Salient points. I just received a copy of Porsche Unexpected, about the Ingram's amazing multi-million collection (and others'). Exactly 1 of their 100's of P cars is non-MT. And they, per them, tried hard for a MT version. p135 of book, a 2011 speedster. Interestingly, it is their grandson's favorite car of the collection so perhaps it's the young ones that, unable to drive a stick, are drawn to PDK....

In related news, they also now have a 918. So that makes 2 non-MT's.
Old 12-31-2015, 12:11 AM
rxtrom
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Good info

I know the manual would be scarce in both models but like another poster mentioned they are only 10% of the builds and even in the used market currently so while that presents an opportunity for a collectible I'm not really looking for that not do I want a MT. Also if you think about it only 10% of the market is looking for a manual or they would have produced more and demand a premium on the used market. Supply and demand right? Well it doesn't look to be the case yet.

Anyway I think I have the info I was looking for and even may have answered my own question in my first post. The GTS will depreciate a little more the first year but there may come a point in the next 4 years where it will reach an equilibrium on the depr curve and then the GTS will eventually be the advantage. Don't get me wrong they are both losing value, they are not appreciating assets, but if I hold the GTS and enjoy it, i will most likely be content longer since it is my ideal car and build. If I go through a CPO and flip to another one because of whatever options or performance I wish I had I would definitely be worse off. So there is that risk which I did not think of...
Old 12-31-2015, 12:28 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Nothing more expensive $$$ than making the wrong choice! Do overs are not cheap in many things in life.
Old 12-31-2015, 01:49 AM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Received 126 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by rxtrom
I know the manual would be scarce in both models but like another poster mentioned they are only 10% of the builds and even in the used market currently so while that presents an opportunity for a collectible I'm not really looking for that not do I want a MT. Also if you think about it only 10% of the market is looking for a manual or they would have produced more and demand a premium on the used market. Supply and demand right? Well it doesn't look to be the case yet.

Anyway I think I have the info I was looking for and even may have answered my own question in my first post. The GTS will depreciate a little more the first year but there may come a point in the next 4 years where it will reach an equilibrium on the depr curve and then the GTS will eventually be the advantage. Don't get me wrong they are both losing value, they are not appreciating assets, but if I hold the GTS and enjoy it, i will most likely be content longer since it is my ideal car and build. If I go through a CPO and flip to another one because of whatever options or performance I wish I had I would definitely be worse off. So there is that risk which I did not think of...
Get the car you want, period. Resale value, etc. was not a factor for me, but I would disagree with your statement about the 7MT. You only need one person to buy your car, not the masses. If you have a car with a 7MT that is only 10% of all cars out there, and it's optioned and equipped right, it will sell at a premium compared to the same car with PDK (which guaranteed there will be multiple of, or very similar).
Old 12-31-2015, 06:32 AM
Fasttoys1
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by rxtrom

SPOT-ON
Old 12-31-2015, 09:45 AM
991 GT3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NA is on its way out and will be desirable in future years. I'd definitely consider a GT3 over a GTS the price difference isn't that major. Fast forward 10-20 years. I think all would agree NA GT cars will be a thing if the past like the air cooled. The GT cars are very likely going to be the most desirable to that future collector but to each his own. Variety is the spice of life. A NA 991 GTS will likely be the last model that doesn't have a hairdryer strapped to the engine. You will see depreciation on GTS models much more than GT3's. But buy to drive and enjoy. No guarantees in life. If well cared for and not a million miles both will be desirable years down the road. Can't look at a new car as an investment but after due time should hold value well. I nvr plan on selling my GT3 and bought to enjoy. Good luck with your decision. Either way, your going to be smiling when you walk into your garage for years to come.

Quick Reply: New GTS or CPO S and depreciation question