Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 S Cab vs 981 Spyder?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 10:49 PM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Thank you all for the input - it is definitely appreciated (and cross posted this on the 981 forum to get what I figured would be a different perspective).

So - I'm in! I have a deposit on an allocation, with the next steps being to configure it. At the end of the day, the thought of the 3.8L in the smaller car, with an open top experience is too much to pass up. I definitely want the NA motor, and it is going to sound just awesome!

After I get that squared away, I'm going to start focusing on a CPO 991.1 GTS and have an alert set on STG's thread!!

I still don't know how I'm going to feel handing my 991S Cab back in - it is such a unique color combo that always drew positive comments. Really love that car. I'll let you all know where it gets "grounded" in case anyone is interested in it. I babied that thing.
Old 01-05-2016, 11:01 PM
augustxke
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Which car is better for vacation driving trips, does one hold more luggage?
Old 01-05-2016, 11:06 PM
augustxke
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

We have a gt3 and there is plenty of storage for gear, so it is easy to go on trips with. We would like a cab for the same reasons, what car is better for this application?
Old 01-06-2016, 12:12 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

I had a 986 Boxster, but I think what I have to say about storage holds true for 981.

The Boxster has less actual cubic feet of "storage" than the 911 because they have essentially the same front trunk, but the rear cargo area of the 911 is much deeper than the trunk of the Boxster.

This is deceptive. Nothing is easier than accessing the front and rear trunks of the Boxster. When you come out from the pizza joint with a large pizza in a box, it just fits perfectly in the back of the Boxster. But it's too wide for the frunk of either car, which means it has to ride in the cabin of the 911. It is sooooo much harder to get into the backseat than in the rear trunk of the Boxster. Even with the pax seat slid forward and tilted, the opening for the back of the 911 is compromised. I've found on several occasions that things which would not fit in the rear trunk of a Boxster because they were too deep won't fit in the back of my 911 because they can't get past the seats.

Man, I know I'm sounding like a Boxster fanboy, but honestly, with the addition of the big motor the damn thing is just about perfect. I'd still rather have my 911 GTS, but there's no logical reason for that.
Old 01-06-2016, 05:14 PM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Received 126 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by LnC993
I've feeling that 981 Spyder would retain value better than 991 S Cab especially if the Spyder equipped with LWB seat. My impression is that the Spyder feels more raw, more of a true roadster feel than 991 Cab.

Both are great open top cars but I just think the Boxster Spyder is more fun to drive, she's the younger, wilder and perhaps the hotter sister of the two.
Totally agree with the Spyder and resale value. If I could, my great DD garage would be my '14 S trading off with a 981 Spyder, both manual, when the weather's good. Keep mileage in check on both and enjoy some top-down motoring everyone and then.

Everything starts w/ a dream, right?
Old 01-06-2016, 05:35 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
This is deceptive. Nothing is easier than accessing the front and rear trunks of the Boxster.
I had a 986 too, and the two trunks were definitely great for shopping and errands. I find the back seat storage of the 911 to be easier for road trips though, so you can grab things without stopping and opening up a trunk every time. When you have a passenger in a Boxster, there is very little room for storing much of anything inside the cabin.
Old 01-07-2016, 11:06 AM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 284 Posts

I had a 986 Boxster, but I think what I have to say about storage holds true for 981.

The Boxster has less actual cubic feet of "storage" than the 911 because they have essentially the same front trunk, but the rear cargo area of the 911 is much deeper than the trunk of the Boxster.

This is deceptive. Nothing is easier than accessing the front and rear trunks of the Boxster. When you come out from the pizza joint with a large pizza in a box, it just fits perfectly in the back of the Boxster. But it's too wide for the frunk of either car, which means it has to ride in the cabin of the 911. It is sooooo much harder to get into the backseat than in the rear trunk of the Boxster. Even with the pax seat slid forward and tilted, the opening for the back of the 911 is compromised. I've found on several occasions that things which would not fit in the rear trunk of a Boxster because they were too deep won't fit in the back of my 911 because they can't get past the seats.

Man, I know I'm sounding like a Boxster fanboy, but honestly, with the addition of the big motor the damn thing is just about perfect. I'd still rather have my 911 GTS, but there's no logical reason for that.
One reality that dissuaded me from the Spyder a fair amount is that the rear trunk cannot be easily accessed with the roof up. May be a factor for those who commute or live in a rainy area.

Top operation is simply not as easy a hitting a button and driving off as it is on normal Boxsters- I LOVED that feature in my 987-S (with an easy top installed).

The second is the interior room is limited when 2 people are in the car. I'ts just a reality of a 2 seater whereas the 2 rears are very useful in the 911.

Still, Boxster is a superior Cab IMO, and I've also owned a 997.2 Cab.
Old 01-07-2016, 11:21 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 671 Likes on 365 Posts

My current dedicated track car, an 02 Boxster S, was my daily driver for a few years prior to the track conversion. Perhaps it was because I was used to driving 911's for so many years, but I never used the rear trunk in the Boxster. I always automatically went to the frunk. So it would make sense that I'm not bothered by the lack of utility with the Spyder rear trunk with the top up. I've always had an SUV for any time I needed more storage capacity.
Old 01-07-2016, 12:11 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Dewinator
I had a 986 too, and the two trunks were definitely great for shopping and errands. I find the back seat storage of the 911 to be easier for road trips though, so you can grab things without stopping and opening up a trunk every time. When you have a passenger in a Boxster, there is very little room for storing much of anything inside the cabin.
I agree with this in theory. In fact, thinking it would work out for me that way is what caused me to swap my 986S for a 996TT back in the day. It wasn't really for me driving solo -- I just put whatever I needed in the pax seat. But when my wife and I were together she had nowhere for the huge collection of readily accessible junk that is apparently required before travel can ensue. So I figured the backseat would solve that beautifully.

Truth was, though, that a) it helped, but access to the backseat was still not all that convenient for her as a front-seat passenger so I didn't get many kudos from her for taking one for the team and buying a car with a backseat (), and

b) 95% of the time I am solo in the car, and under those circumstances the rear seat is a much bigger PIA than the rear trunk of a Boxster.

But I'll concede that Chris C. makes a very viable point -- rear-trunk access in the Spyder is not the easy proposition it is in a regular Boxster.
Old 01-07-2016, 02:03 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

But when my wife and I were together she had nowhere for the huge collection of readily accessible junk that is apparently required before travel can ensue.
Hahah I know... what is all that stuff??? Happens every time.

Quick Reply: 991 S Cab vs 981 Spyder?