Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody refinished their wheels to a different color?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2016 | 11:18 AM
snowcar_C4S
Advanced

When I purchased my 991, it came with the black wheels - purchased directly off of the dealer's lot, so it was the only option I did not like, but bought the vehicle nonetheless. My car went directly from the dealer to my detailer for paint correction, clear bra and Modesta coating. I reference the latter to you as my experience has been that my detailer runs a solid business and is highly respected within the car community and is knowledgeable about which 3rd party vendors to use for those services he does not provide. I spoke to him about having my wheels changed to the stock Porsche silver color and he promptly placed my car on a lift, had the wheels removed and sent out for powder coating - it was a pass through cost on my bill, he does not mark up on 3rd party vendor charges, so about $1 000 if my memory serves me correctly. The shop he sent the wheels to specializes in powder coating parts, not just wheels. The result was/is spectacular, he suggested the vendor in question due to the fact that they specialize in power coating vs. a body/collision shop where they don't. If you have a reputable detailer, he/she can typically direct you to those 3rd party vendors who specialize in these types of services, including leather and vinyl repair, pointless dent removal etc. Hope this helps!
Old 01-10-2016 | 07:13 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker

I can't get away from them!
Haha you can't! It's only going to get worse as carbon fiber wheels start to catch on too.
Old 03-18-2018 | 10:34 AM
GTSence
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
I have the very black OEM center locks that come on the GTS. I never wanted black, but I did want the center locks, and there are no finish options with them. (Don't get me started -- the GTS comes standard with the CLs, which are about a $4k option on the Turbo. But you can also get the standard 5-lug wheels in black on the GTS for no savings! The same wheels that are standard on the Turbo and apparently worth $4000 less than the optional CLs. Oh, and to make it even more insulting, you can get the cheap 5-lugs painted silver for hundreds of dollars more, or painted body color for even more hundreds of dollars more. Even though you already gave up the "$4000 more expensive" CLs to get the 5-lugs. )

Okay, back to the point of my post: I like the standard CL design fine. Maybe not what I'd choose given the whole library of CL wheels in the world, but not bad at all. But I hate black wheels. Always have. I like them okay in strong sunlight, where the details reveal themselves. But the minute you see them in shade they disappear and it looks like big holes rather than wheels. YMMV, of course.

Anyway, rather than drop $8k on HREs to replace wheels I'm perfectly happy with other than color, it looks like I can drop about $2k to have them painted or powder coated at a top-rated facility recommended by the top Porsche-approved body shop in ATL. Performance Body Shop uses this facility to repair/repaint wheels that have been damaged in an accident that they (Performance) is repairing the rest of the damage on. So I'm confident the job will be as good as it can be in Atlanta. But just wondering if any of you have experience with high-end refinishing like this?

My wife curbs every wheel on every car she ever gets, and I've found a company that comes around with a trailer behind a pickup and will pull the wheel, sand the damage, and repaint in the trailer at your house or office, and it's like $150. They do such a good job that frankly, nobody ever knows it was repainted. I think my oldest repair is 3 years old now on her Grand Cherokee and still looks as good as they did new (with the addition of new curb rash, of course. ) And three of them have been repainted but I can't remember or tell which one is the OEM finish now.

Of course, I'm not going to have this company do the Porsche (it just doesn't seem right), but it seems like aftermarket refinishing must work pretty well and hold up to road abuse.

Thanks for any experiences on your Porsches you can relate.

NoGaBiker... did you decide to repaint? If yes, how did it go? I'm also in ATL and considering a refinish on CL wheels on a 997 GTS. Appreciate any recommendations... thanks... CPM
Old 03-18-2018 | 12:31 PM
ibmiked
Pro

$800 to have mine powder coated and mounted and balanced.

Quick Reply: Anybody refinished their wheels to a different color?