Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody refinished their wheels to a different color?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2015 | 05:01 PM
MACH 86
Instructor

Default powder coat maby not so good

Check on the Rennlist GT3 web site. There is something about not powder coat Porsche wheels
Old 12-31-2015 | 05:42 PM
STG
Race Director

Powder coating is fine. All the major wheel companies do it. Just find a knowledgeable shop that knows what they're doing. Wheels can be coated multiple times with no harm. HRE will even refinish their wheels for HRE owners for a cost of course. A nice service they offer!
Old 12-31-2015 | 06:40 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Thanks for all the feedback, guys. Good info. Sounds like if painting is easier/cheaper/faster I'll consider it. Like I said, I've had 6 wheels painted and never experienced a chip or peeling or any bad consequences. But it's always been on wheels I didn't care about and never even looked all that closely at.

And if it goes awry after a couple years and I only paid a grand or less, not a big deal to do it again I suppose.

Thanks again,
Old 01-01-2016 | 01:28 PM
MKW
Rennlist Member

this is the only finish I would change the black oem GTS CL mesh style to ...the other oem Porsche CL mesh style finish ...anything else lessens the unique wheel and and the unique version of the 991 that it comes standard on, IMO

it would be a perfect for your GT Silver over red/ black interior ...the face complements and brightens / visually lightens your exterior and the barrel complements the interior ( just like the pics below with same color combo of your GTS )!

your CLs will look like 22s just " 86"-ing the std all black finish !

Last edited by MKW; 01-01-2016 at 02:10 PM.
Old 01-01-2016 | 01:50 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MACH 86
Check on the Rennlist GT3 web site. There is something about not powder coat Porsche wheels
Was wondering when someone would bring this up. I thought it was bad to 1. sand blast the rims and then 2. heat them to cure the powder coating. Lastly it adds weight. Why not just repaint them?

I painted my hyper silver Macan Turbo rims to Platinum Satin for $900 plus installation- local wheel repair shop supposedly used by the dealers.
Old 01-05-2016 | 03:00 PM
hcbc9
2nd Gear

Does anyone have a recommendation for a reputable shop to do this in the Miami or South Florida area?
Old 01-09-2016 | 11:59 AM
Werks 1
Racer

I had to show you what the wheels look like on a GTS. Check out my avatar......Factory Turbo S wheels came on the car from the factory. A special CXX code allowed me to do that!!! So COOL!
Old 01-09-2016 | 12:39 PM
SDaddy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Werks 1
I had to show you what the wheels look like on a GTS. Check out my avatar......Factory Turbo S wheels came on the car from the factory. A special CXX code allowed me to do that!!! So COOL!
Very nice! I wish I knew about that code when I ordered my GTS
Old 01-09-2016 | 12:45 PM
Vise
Drifting

Originally Posted by Werks 1
There is actually a picture floating around of a GTS with silver (not polished/black) Turbo S center lock wheels... it was a CXX option that I think Eduardo posted a while back.

Personally I'd go with something in a gunmetal/graphite/titanium to be a bit darker but not totally blacked out. In fact that is what I'm doing on my set of summer rims on order...
Old 01-09-2016 | 01:01 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Originally Posted by Vise
There is actually a picture floating around of a GTS with silver (not polished/black) Turbo S center lock wheels... it was a CXX option that I think Eduardo posted a while back.

Personally I'd go with something in a gunmetal/graphite/titanium to be a bit darker but not totally blacked out. In fact that is what I'm doing on my set of summer rims on order...
Yes, I agree with you, Vise. While I was waiting for the car to be built I considered looking for a set of Turbo S takeoffs from somebody who switched to HREs; Butler Tire right by me is Ground Zero for Porsche HRE upgrades and would probably have a set for not too much. But I never could bond with the polished face look. Not what I was going for.

I like the standard GTS wheels just fine, and when the sun is coming in from the side you're standing on and the black wheels are well-lit so you can see the spoke detail, I'm fine with them as is. But so often when the ambient lighting is lower, or it's bright but coming from the opposite side of the car, it appears there's just a big black hole in the wheelwell. (see below)

If I could lighten them to just a shade lighter than GT3 wheels I think I'd be very happy. If it doesn't work out (i.e., I spend $800 or a grand on painting them and then decide I just don't like the look of the wheels,) then I'll just go with a set of HREs and order them in the color I want.

Good:

Not so good:

Old 01-09-2016 | 02:00 PM
kwikit356
Rennlist Member

Does anybody have any experience keeping the standard GTS CL wheels' matte finish free from the large amount of brake dust that quickly accumulates? It's not too difficult to clean the spoke areas, but the barrels are another matter. I think I need the "wheel monkey" version of the famous "Trunk Monkey." Looking at the gloss finished Turbo wheels in this thread I can see that the inside of all the spokes is painted gloss black. If the barrels of the wheels on that particular car are also painted gloss black, I would think that type of surface finish might be easier to keep clean than a matte finish. Any opinions or experience with gloss vs. matte finishes?

Just to refine the question above a bit, I have not yet had the standard CL wheels coated or protected by any of the various ceramic, nano-particle, etc. treatments available. I'm thinking about doing that this coming Spring, along with changing the brake pads (for regular road driving) to CarboTech 1521 ceramic. FWIW I do use ArmorAll Wheel Protectant on the silver rims of my 993. That stuff really works well, but I keep hearing that it causes problems on black rims.
Old 01-09-2016 | 02:25 PM
gurneyeagle
Instructor

Originally Posted by PatrickC23
I powder coated my wheels on my Range like 5 years back, paid $800 or so for 22" wheels. This shop was by no means a high end shop, so I am guessing it would be a bit more.

Wheel shops refinish wheels all the time now it seems, I see tons of classified ads on the M5 forum where people mod heavily selling wheels including one refinishing to their choice of color. What color are you thinking? Did you think about maybe polishing some or all of them to a pure metal?

Ironically I had my Range wheels coated black because my wife curbed them, and swore I'd never do it again because I hated it, yet I think it suits the GTS very well.

And a powder coat will hold up much better than a simple painting.
Originally Posted by John 996 TT Cab
Have had painted 3 sets of Porsche and one set of Audi wheels in another colour. Cost here in Vancouver is $800 for the set. All work done by a company specializing in repairing/painting wheels. Seems that even a serious repair is still only $200 which includes redoing the paint work.
Originally Posted by STG991
Powder coating is fine. All the major wheel companies do it. Just find a knowledgeable shop that knows what they're doing. Wheels can be coated multiple times with no harm. HRE will even refinish their wheels for HRE owners for a cost of course. A nice service they offer!
A local shop here in Houston stripped and repainted my 370Z Nismo rims for $600. That included removing the tires, stripping the rims down, repainting, remounting and balancing after the rims.

Painting allowed me to choose a specific gunmetal color that complimented the color of the car. I kept the car three years after having the rims painted with zero issues. Even better, I was able to order a bottle of touch up paint from Dr. Colorchip for the inevitable small rock chips that occur.
Old 01-09-2016 | 05:35 PM
Vise
Drifting

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
I like the standard GTS wheels just fine, and when the sun is coming in from the side you're standing on and the black wheels are well-lit so you can see the spoke detail, I'm fine with them as is. But so often when the ambient lighting is lower, or it's bright but coming from the opposite side of the car, it appears there's just a big black hole in the wheelwell. (see below)

If I could lighten them to just a shade lighter than GT3 wheels I think I'd be very happy.
Agreed. In full/bright light the black wheels are just fine... but when it is overcast or in poor lighting it just looks like a black hole no different from a steelie.

As for colour finish... in keeping with the GTS theme I went darker than gunmetal on my new wheels, sorta halfway between black and gunmetal... it is on the darker side but light enough to show contrast from the tire/wheel well. I think it will look great.
Old 01-09-2016 | 07:48 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
...but I hate black wheels. Always have.
YES! THANK YOU! I can't stand black wheels but it seems like everyone else in the world loves them.
Old 01-09-2016 | 08:49 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

^^ The funny thing is, my two primary DDs are the GTS and this:

I can't get away from them!

Quick Reply: Anybody refinished their wheels to a different color?