Sponsored by:

Helmets

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2015, 12:18 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,441 Likes on 2,248 Posts

Originally Posted by c_Gio
So am I an *** if I show up with one of my motorcycle helmets?
depending upon the group they may not let you on track with a MC helmet due to the different Snell/FIA safety stds mainly to do with fire I believe
Old 12-28-2015, 12:20 PM
Carrera51
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 156 Likes on 97 Posts

C_Gio:
Check the rules and regs for the group you will be driving with. Most these days will require an SA2010 or newer helmet to drive on the track. They probably will continue to allow SA2005 helmets at least for the first few months of 2016 to give the manufacturers time to get inventory in the hands of their distributors.
Old 12-28-2015, 12:22 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by c_Gio
So am I an *** if I show up with one of my motorcycle helmets?
Depends on the events and organizers. For example, our local PCA only allows motorcycle helmets for Autocross, not allowed at DE's or Club Racing (obviously).
Old 12-28-2015, 12:48 PM
thomnellie
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Depends on the events and organizers. For example, our local PCA only allows motorcycle helmets for Autocross, not allowed at DE's or Club Racing (obviously).
New Jersey Motorsport Park requires full face for the Delaware PCA chapter DE events.
Old 12-28-2015, 01:16 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by drcollie
I have both full face and 3/4 helmets - and have used Arai for the past few years but also like and have used Simpsons. A full face is safer and offers more protection, and I will always wear that when solo driving. When Instructing or doing low-speed autocross, I use the the 3/4 if I don't have a communicator wired up as its too hard to have a conversation with students with a full face. If I am using a communicator, then full face.

Why a full face? Ever seen a deer come through the windshield on a track day when the car is going 100 mph? Its ugly. Or have an airbag go off when the student runs his the Armco or a tree? Those exploding airbags are nasty and will leave you with a bloody face. Finally, when you go into the trees themselves (you can tell my track time is East Coast) if prevents intrusions from branches or if the car rolls you have more protection. 20 years of Instructing means you've seen or been in most of those scenarios.

One thing to think about in deciding 3/4 or full face is this - better to wash off sweat than have your jaw wired shut for 8 weeks and undergoing facial reconstruction!

When selecting a helmet, go for good fit obviously - but also light weight. A lot of people are so focused on fit and visibility they overlook the weight. A heavy helmet gets tiring by the end of the day.

Both of these are at Summit Point, my 'Home' track, both in 911's

Porsche 911 Demolishing Hitting A Deer In A Terrifying Track Day [ORIGINAL] - YouTube

EPIC CRASH - Porsche 996 Hits Deer at 100MPH on Racetrack - YouTube
+1 ... never skimp on head protection, buy the best helmet you can afford IMO! your brain is irreplaceable ... and for most people a pretty useful and
necessary tool for daily living ...

p.s
some dry cleaners will clean your helmet liner removing that oh so attractive smell of a locker room laundry basket full of jockstraps that accumulates over time!
Old 12-28-2015, 01:56 PM
shewu
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
depending upon the group they may not let you on track with a MC helmet due to the different Snell/FIA safety stds mainly to do with fire I believe
It's primarily for impacts -- a motorcycle helmet is good for a single large impact, whereas a Snell helmet is good for hitting a roll cage multiple times (angle of impact also matters; the link below has a thorough explanation). However, both types of helmets should be replaced if they are dropped on the floor.

http://www.smf.org/docs/articles/dot
Old 12-28-2015, 02:11 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Originally Posted by shewu
It's primarily for impacts -- a motorcycle helmet is good for a single large impact, whereas a Snell helmet is good for hitting a roll cage multiple times (angle of impact also matters; the link below has a thorough explanation). However, both types of helmets should be replaced if they are dropped on the floor.

http://www.smf.org/docs/articles/dot
In addition to that , "SA" helmets are for motorsports (cars) and "M" helmets for Motorcycles. A helmet designates "SA" will have a flame resistant liner, a motorcycle one will not. For some reason SA stands for "Special Application" which I have never quite figured out.

LOL, if I bought a new lid every time one of my bike or car helmets hit the ground, I'd have a couple of hundred in the basement.
Old 12-28-2015, 02:12 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by shewu
It's primarily for impacts -- a motorcycle helmet is good for a single large impact, whereas a Snell helmet is good for hitting a roll cage multiple times (angle of impact also matters; the link below has a thorough explanation). However, both types of helmets should be replaced if they are dropped on the floor. http://www.smf.org/docs/articles/dot
Without getting into the whole debate about Snell standards, which would take more space than this entire forum, remember, many moto helmets are also Snell approved. I'd really like to know why they wouldn't allow a moto helmet. I assume it's the flame resistance issue mentioned above.
Old 12-28-2015, 05:53 PM
hsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Does Arai offer different models for different head shapes, like they do for motos? I love Arai, but only the Signet model fits my head.
I don't think so however i'm not sure.
Old 12-28-2015, 06:04 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Without getting into the whole debate about Snell standards, which would take more space than this entire forum, remember, many moto helmets are also Snell approved. I'd really like to know why they wouldn't allow a moto helmet. I assume it's the flame resistance issue mentioned above.
Its because someone - somewhere said that SA is for cars, M is for motorcycles.

And its silly. Because unless you are in your DE car in full Nomex and with a rollbar in the car, there is no need for a SA helmet. But then again, no one ever said Driver's Schools run on logic...

I remember showing up at Putnam Park in Indiana in 1998 for a track event with my pals - BMW OFest. It was terribly, stinking hot. Brutal heat. We come to the track day in shorts and t-shirts. They won't let us run, because 'track rules' say long sleeve shirts and pants for 'fire resistance'. Seriously???? What knucklehead thought that one up? We didn't pack any lone sleeves, it was over 100 degrees out.

There were five of us from NCC Chapter, so we went to Wal Mart and bought the loudest Men's Pajamas we could find. Buzz Lightyear ones or Spiderman or something like that....but they were long sleeve and long pants. Pulled them on and we were an instant paddock hit in the grid. And of course, MUCH safer from fire (rolling eyes). The track officials said "You can't drive in pajamas!" We said "Sure we can, they're long sleeve and all cotton, just like blue jeans and a shirt". They let us run.
Old 12-29-2015, 12:49 AM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

This is really interesting. Not that you all ever might see them, but the debates/posts on bicycle helmets are even crazier and more vicious that the ones above. You all incredibly well mannered, intelligent and considerate by comparison - kudos!!! For the track, in a car, I am not sure that I go fast enough for the helmet certification to matter (for my safety) but I do take all your comments seriously. On a bicycle, anything over and above 50 microns of spandex and padded gloves that "might" protect my coconut in a 40 kph crash I'll gratefully use (as with cars, on a bicycle, you just have no idea how vulnerable you are until you go down/crash).
Old 12-29-2015, 02:08 AM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

I thought pajamas were required by law to have some flame retardant in them. If so, as ridiculous as you may have looked, you were a bit safer than running in just a short sleeve shirt and shorts.

As for full face helmets, I will add that notwithstanding what I said above, I've more than once had clag or other debris hit me in the face on a track day, and made me glad I had a full face helmet.

As for cleaning, do you wear a helmet sock? I've found it helps a lot to wear one as a buffer between your head and the helmet liner, both with comfort and smell.
Old 12-29-2015, 03:03 AM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,688 Likes on 1,426 Posts

Over 35 years track driving, 30 as clerk of course / event director. Mainly in Australia where it gets pretty hot. We require full face and ankle to wrist natural fibre clothing at all speed events.

Heads go crunch when things hit them. Airbags are brutal, steering wheels perfectly placed to smack fragile jaws and faces. It's amazing how much belts stretch in decent frontal impacts. If you're relying on a lap sash inertia reel assume you'll hit something.

Fire in modern road cars is pretty rare but happens and on a hot day a light weight cotton top isn't a burden but provides a surprising amount of additional protection. You can take it off when you get out of the car. And anyway, you should be covered for your health if it's hot and the suns out.

Never go short on safety gear. Get the best you can afford or don't go anywhere near a track.
Old 12-29-2015, 06:13 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Need4S
I thought pajamas were required by law to have some flame retardant in them. If so, as ridiculous as you may have looked, you were a bit safer than running in just a short sleeve shirt and shorts.

As for full face helmets, I will add that notwithstanding what I said above, I've more than once had clag or other debris hit me in the face on a track day, and made me glad I had a full face helmet.

As for cleaning, do you wear a helmet sock? I've found it helps a lot to wear one as a buffer between your head and the helmet liner, both with comfort and smell
Ive been hit by a big bee before, and I also crashed into armco at Spa both times I was glad I had my full face on!

Ive worn a helmet balaclava before, they can make quite a difference and worth using IMO

Originally Posted by aggie57
Over 35 years track driving, 30 as clerk of course / event director. Mainly in Australia where it gets pretty hot. We require full face and ankle to wrist natural fibre clothing at all speed events.

Heads go crunch when things hit them. Airbags are brutal, steering wheels perfectly placed to smack fragile jaws and faces. It's amazing how much belts stretch in decent frontal impacts. If you're relying on a lap sash inertia reel assume you'll hit something.

Fire in modern road cars is pretty rare but happens and on a hot day a light weight cotton top isn't a burden but provides a surprising amount of additional protection. You can take it off when you get out of the car. And anyway, you should be covered for your health if it's hot and the suns out.

Never go short on safety gear. Get the best you can afford or don't go anywhere near a track.
well said!
Old 12-29-2015, 10:52 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Reality check? Odds of fatal head injuries are far higher in the bath tub.

Higher even than, dare I say it, bicycling.

Which reminds me, I once showed up on a group ride with (as was usual back then) no helmet. The only other guy like that came up and asked me, "do you all fall down a lot here?" Turns out he was from the UK. So I had to be the one to tell him no, we are not clumsy. We are just thoroughly pussified.

Quick Reply: Helmets