Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone done a Dash Camera Hardwire?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2015, 11:14 AM
hawc
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Anyone done a Dash Camera Hardwire?

Love to see it. Instruction videos if they exist. Wondering how cleanly it can be done.

Thinking of getting a tiny dash cam that would install being the mirror and just loop continuously running off of the car's battery when driving. I would never review the video unless in a crash. Otherwise I'd love to never have to worry about it.

Anyone else done similar?
Old 12-26-2015, 12:01 PM
stratocaster69
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did on a GTR but not a Porsche. I did a Blackvue and mounted it high to the left and above the mirror. Put the sticker in the dot matrix to hide the view of it form the outside of the windshield. I Ran the power and video cable down the A pillar to the fuse box. I just ran the front cam not the dual unit. It worked good when it worked, but it seemed like I was always fighting the synching of the WiFi. The video quality was superb.

The video and power cable, I just wrapped a ball of electrical tape around it like every 6 inches and pushed it up under the head liner. It was all wired into a black box or smart box. Can't remember the name of it. But it had switchable settings so the cam would either stay on for a predetermined time or switch off. All while monitoring the parked car. I went to their site and it looks like the box has been updated. The battery saver box I am talking about was extra!

I am looking at doing this again. The way people are running 4 way stops and lights, and are so busy texting they cant drive. I have looked at a ton of cameras. The problem is most that I have found are junk, and are kinda big to look nice for a mount I think in a 911 with a short windshield. Actual high end police dash cams are just too big. I would love something high quality, made in the USA, discreet, with good video quality in at least 1080.

All in all, at this point, I would do the Blackvue again. I would only download the files if an event happened. And it is the nicest looking of the bunch in my opinion. It has been 2 years since I have had mine and with the battery saving smart box updated, maybe the head unit has had some updates too on the WiFi, etc!
Attached Images    

Last edited by stratocaster69; 12-26-2015 at 05:21 PM.

Quick Reply: Anyone done a Dash Camera Hardwire?