991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

i know i know, a 4s vs S question

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2015 | 02:25 AM
strumbringer
Instructor

Contrary to the "AWD is for bad weather" sentiment - the 4S is quicker in any weather due to better traction. Sure, if you're Walter Rohrl, you'll be able to drive the S about as fast as the 4S on most tracks, but for real world driving and fun, I think the 4S shines over the S.
Old 12-27-2015 | 04:38 AM
Key Left
Pro

BMW does not make any four wheel drive sports cars because of the extra weight (110 lbs for the 4S 911) and the lack of steering purity, due to torque steer among other things. ( I know you will say the BMW 6X is four wheel drive but that's supposed to be a SUV.) You can take it from there.
Old 12-27-2015 | 11:11 AM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

I went from a C4 to a 2S, I had no idea what I was missing out on in the C4. The C4 will track better, turn better, and is an easier and safer car to drive faster. I enjoyed mine for the 12 years I had it and really appreciated it on those rainy days at the track.

However, the C2 is much more fun to drive. It's fun to push it outside the limits and feel it snap back in (the C4 was so true that it never let me outside the limits). If I had to do it over again, as already suggested, daily driver in poor weather then C4 - no doubts, no questions. But if it's a sunny day weekend type car and your driving is good enough to cut it loose in an open corner then the C2 will give you a bigger grin
Old 12-27-2015 | 01:10 PM
yashagrawal
Racer

I prefer C4, for the safety factor. Even though one may live in a sunny clime, occasionally one drives to areas where the weather may be bad, or turn unexpectedly bad. In addition, we drive at high speeds, its for this reason, I also stay away from cabs.

As an example, one expects great weather in Southern Nevada. Was returning last winter from a trip to death valley and cruising at a pretty good clip, 80 +, when all of a sudden just around the corner there was a 50-100 feet stretch of snow. I can say that the 4 wheel drive helped control the car.
Old 12-27-2015 | 03:43 PM
beaverlake
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Key Left
BMW does not make any four wheel drive sports cars because of the extra weight (110 lbs for the 4S 911) and the lack of steering purity, due to torque steer among other things. ( I know you will say the BMW 6X is four wheel drive but that's supposed to be a SUV.) You can take it from there.
Based on my experience owning both C2s and C4s

1. I don't know what steering purity means with electrically assisted steering.

2. I have not detected any hint of torque steer and apparently I'm not alone if one can trust the majority of the major reviewers

3. I find the 4s steering to be more precise and responsive than the C2

4. Depending on which set of tests one cares to believe the zero to sixty times and quarter mile times are about the same for both cars so the extra weight doesn't seem to impact straight line performance

5. One could easily take the position that the (slight) extra weight over the front axle improves front to rear balance

The cars do drive differently that's for sure. With our Seattle weather I haven't had an opportunity to "drive" the C4 but I am not expecting to feel any less connected than with the 2s. And I did get a chance to kick out the rear end a couple times.

You will loose some room in the frunk - of that there can be no debate.

Gordon
Old 12-28-2015 | 12:01 AM
strumbringer
Instructor

Yup, frunk space loss - that's undisputable So, if you want a larger frunk, go 2s - otoh, if you want a larger frunk, you should probably get a Tesla instead. :-P

Video worth watching:
Old 12-28-2015 | 12:14 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

4S

Because I'm an #AssMan
Old 12-28-2015 | 10:33 AM
coreyco
Intermediate

Strumbringer - thanks for sharing the Evo video. As the reviewer mentioned at the end of his comparo, I would also enjoy hearing his analysis following a rematch in dry conditions.
Old 12-28-2015 | 12:16 PM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

German magazine Sport Auto did a test between 991 4S and S around Hockemhien in the dry.

4S was the quickest. It's an urban myth that the S is quicker in the dry.

Results were:

Porsche 911 Carrera S vs. 911 Carrera 4S
Both with manual gearboxes.
Dry
- Tyres: Pirelli P Zero
- Weight: 1505 kg vs. 1534 kg
- 0-40 km/h: 1,5 s vs. 1,2 s
- 0-100 km/h: 4,7 s vs. 4,3 s
- 0-160 km/h: 9,9 s vs. 9,4 s
- 0-200 km/h: 15,1 s vs. 14,6 s
- Braking (100-0 km/h): 33,3 m vs. 33,2 m
- Hockenheimring: 1.12,0 min vs. 1.11,7 min
Old 12-28-2015 | 12:44 PM
strumbringer
Instructor

Hate to break it to you, but BMW lost all "steering purity" when they went to the electrically assisted power steering. Their hydraulic setup was brilliant; the new one is just barely tolerable once you get used to it, (but still better than anything else in that class). Apart from that, the BMW 340i xDrive is much easier for the average driver to drive fast consistently than the M3, which is a lot more powerful - even though BMW has chosen to hamper the xDrive models with a less sporty suspension.

Torque steer? Could you be confusing AWD with FWD? (btw, the next 1-series BMW in Europe will be FWD :-P so much for purity...)

Obviously, this isn't true of all AWD systems - but a well-designed AWD system can absolutely be better, in every conceivable way. I think both Porsche and BMW's AWD systems (no matter how reluctant the latter might be on the part of the manufacturer) definitely fit the bill.

If you want numb, non-driver-oriented AWD, try Audi's latest generation, especially the S6/7. Yuck. Understeer, zero steering feedback, just... ew. And to think it's the same "family" as Porsche.

Last edited by strumbringer; 12-28-2015 at 01:28 PM.
Old 12-28-2015 | 12:51 PM
ssaa77
Advanced

Have a 2013 4S white on black 7mt CPO with 17.5k miles. Well optioned with pdcc, sport exhaust, adaptive seats, entry/drive, etc. Located in the Seattle area. PM me if interested.
Old 12-28-2015 | 12:55 PM
kpmd2000
Advanced

Originally Posted by yashagrawal
I prefer C4, for the safety factor. Even though one may live in a sunny clime, occasionally one drives to areas where the weather may be bad, or turn unexpectedly bad. In addition, we drive at high speeds, its for this reason, I also stay away from cabs.

As an example, one expects great weather in Southern Nevada. Was returning last winter from a trip to death valley and cruising at a pretty good clip, 80 +, when all of a sudden just around the corner there was a 50-100 feet stretch of snow. I can say that the 4 wheel drive helped control the car.
Absolutely true!

I took delivery of my 2013 C4S from Danbury CT this past Saturday and dealt with rain through Pennsylvania all the way to Chicago. Heavy rain. All i will say is .....unbelievable! The car is simply incredible. It felt so planted to the road the entire time. I'm not sure how the C2S would have differed, but I can tell you that even in moderate temps, the car drove incredibly well with true road feel.
Old 12-28-2015 | 01:14 PM
Chubby Racer
Advanced

Torque steer really doesn't apply here as the system in the porsche is HEAVILY biased to the rear. In fact, the 4S starts at 0 drive to the front.

Quick Reply: i know i know, a 4s vs S question