Sponsored by:

When trailering

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2015, 02:45 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by gbree
I can't teach you physics in one post, but I promise you that extremely small movements will occur, even if you can't see them... But if it's not tied down correctly, you CAN see the car move back and forth, and that's where it gets very serious. Feel free to PM me and I'll give you my number for an in depth explanation if you are serious.
Can you hook me up with that? I would LOVE to see the physics that shows rocking the car on a trailer risks damage that "gets very serious" compared to … racing.

I don't need a phone call, you can just post the equations. Or links to the research papers. I mean, if you're serious.
Old 12-25-2015, 07:10 AM
justabout
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 220 Posts

I can understand small motions causing wear since at rest you have metal on metal for parts that depend on hydrodynamic lubrication ( crank shaft). But I wonder if the jostling of the trailer by our very fine roads would cause the same wear. Leaving the brake off is probably not a bad idea anyway.
Old 12-25-2015, 07:43 AM
Slantnose!
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default the great trailering debate...

Originally Posted by sracer
uhh...race cars don't have parking brakes!
I can agree to that...have three right now.
Racecars generally don't weight 3xxx lbs, either...
...believe the OP stated was using the parking brake & was my assumption is it's a street car.
Just my opinion...but there's a huge difference between trailering a race car & street car.
Also, FWIW when I accepted delivery from a commercial carrier of my 991 from TX to VA, it was in gear along with brake on & when shipped my RSA away, they made sure it was left like that also.
My thinking is a street car is heavy and has alot more suspension movement than a so-called race car....relying soley on straps/tie-downs with extra strain & stress on them might just not be as safe as having the extra protection of knowing the wheels aren't moving, either.
Old 12-25-2015, 09:37 AM
gbree
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
Can you hook me up with that? I would LOVE to see the physics that shows rocking the car on a trailer risks damage that "gets very serious" compared to … racing. I don't need a phone call, you can just post the equations. Or links to the research papers. I mean, if you're serious.
I honestly don't care enough to entertain you. Tow it in gear if you want, it's not my car.

Quick Reply: When trailering