Sponsored by:

Thought About 'Sport/Sport Plus' Buttons

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2015, 01:52 AM
hawc
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb Thought About 'Sport/Sport Plus' Buttons

I'm sure many of you have already figured this out, but it just dawned on me tonight, after driving my 991 3.4L C2 for about 18 months, that Porsche has mislabeled the 'Sport' and 'Sport Plus' buttons in our cars.

Allow me to explain.

I truly believe that each and every time you start your car it should start up in 'Sport' mode. Without having to push any buttons. It shouldn't be called 'Sport' mode and it shouldn't be considered anything special. That should just be the default setting your car is in all the time. In this setting the shifts points are reasonable and the car performs with confidence and the power is there whenever you push the throttle.

Then, the current default mode that our cars start in should be a button you press called 'Eco' mode. When you press it, it would cause the car to shift at no more that 2,000 rpm. It would hurry it into the highest gear as quickly as possible and it should get you in 7th on the highway at around 70km/h onwards. It's reasonable to want to drive like this sometimes but it should NOT be the default mode our cars start up in. It should be a special lower performance 'Eco' mode.

Lastly, the 'Sport Plus' button in this arrangement would simply be renamed the 'Sport' button. You press it when you want a really exciting drive with all the thrills it delivers now.

So to recap. Current 'Sport' mode button goes away and just becomes the default mode the car starts up in all the time. 'Eco' mode is a new button you push to make the car as environmentally economical as possible (currently the default mode on all our cars.) And 'Sport Plus' would simply be renamed 'Sport'.

Old 12-24-2015, 02:07 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,287 Likes on 677 Posts

Agree with 90% of what you said, except that sport plus should be called Race or Racetrack mode. Early descriptions of this button in the GT3 carried those names, before some pansy in Germany decided to remove it.

Shift points between 7000-8500 are only useful on a race track, and the track is the only place I use Sport Plus on my Boxster and 911. I drove them both in Sport the rest of the time and I agree that Sport should be the default mode for all other driving except when testing for the EPA.
Old 12-24-2015, 02:11 AM
hawc
Racer

Originally Posted by Drifting
Agree with 90% of what you said, except that sport plus should be called Race or Racetrack mode. I agree that Sport should be the default mode for all other driving except when testing for the EPA.
I concur. Rename 'Sport Plus' 'Race'. You could also call the new 'Eco' button I propose 'EPA'.

Old 12-24-2015, 05:41 AM
coreyco
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree Sport mode is the ideal all around configuration. However, the current default mode serves an important warm up purpose, and therefore is an appropriate start up setting. By keeping shift points low, temptation is curtailed to drive in a more aggressive manner before that all important "Oil Temp At 190 ----Now Have Some Fun" goal is attained.
Old 12-24-2015, 07:24 AM
todd92
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

With my 7MT, shift points are always where I want them, no matter what mode I'm in.

You don't have to wait until the oil temp is 190. 120 is warm enough for full throttle.
Old 12-24-2015, 09:05 AM
X2Board
Pro

Received 94 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by todd92
With my 7MT, shift points are always where I want them, no matter what mode I'm in.
Exactly!
Old 12-24-2015, 10:01 AM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by hawc
I concur. Rename 'Sport Plus' 'Race'. You could also call the new 'Eco' button I propose 'EPA'.

As long as we are renaming buttons, a thorough rewrite of the warranty would be necessary. Porsche will have a tough time denying warranty claims associated with track use if they actually put a race related component in their cars.

Also, if they eliminated the default "eco" start up, it would affect fleet MPG statistics. I do agree totally with the OP's opinion.
Old 12-24-2015, 10:57 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,589 Likes on 2,335 Posts

I'm sure many of you have already figured this out, but it just dawned on me tonight, after driving my 991 3.4L C2 for about 18 months, that Porsche has mislabeled the 'Sport' and 'Sport Plus' buttons in our cars.

Allow me to explain.

I truly believe that each and every time you start your car it should start up in 'Sport' mode. Without having to push any buttons. It shouldn't be called 'Sport' mode and it shouldn't be considered anything special. That should just be the default setting your car is in all the time. In this setting the shifts points are reasonable and the car performs with confidence and the power is there whenever you push the throttle.

Then, the current default mode that our cars start in should be a button you press called 'Eco' mode. When you press it, it would cause the car to shift at no more that 2,000 rpm. It would hurry it into the highest gear as quickly as possible and it should get you in 7th on the highway at around 70km/h onwards. It's reasonable to want to drive like this sometimes but it should NOT be the default mode our cars start up in. It should be a special lower performance 'Eco' mode.

Lastly, the 'Sport Plus' button in this arrangement would simply be renamed the 'Sport' button. You press it when you want a really exciting drive with all the thrills it delivers now.

So to recap. Current 'Sport' mode button goes away and just becomes the default mode the car starts up in all the time. 'Eco' mode is a new button you push to make the car as environmentally economical as possible (currently the default mode on all our cars.) And 'Sport Plus' would simply be renamed 'Sport'.

totally agree, the PDK programming is worthy of a mini-van and not a 911 ... even sport short shifts to 7th ...
Old 12-24-2015, 11:04 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
totally agree, the PDK programming is worthy of a mini-van and not a 911 ... even sport short shifts to 7th ...
Blame pleasing the EPA regime and the lawyers.

Throw in the visor stickers too!

At least we escaped the engine kill button at stop lights which will need to be turned off at EVERY start up in the 991.2! Ha ha. What's that dumb feature called again??
Old 12-24-2015, 11:04 AM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 86 Posts

Actually, they could tie this in with the VW programmers and call it "Inspect" instead of EPA
Old 12-24-2015, 11:05 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

By the way hawc, great suggestions. But like I mentioned above, all politics and laws.
Old 12-24-2015, 11:26 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,402 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Speaking of buttons, I'm adding this button (lower right) to my center console soon.
Attached Images  
Old 12-24-2015, 12:38 PM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 86 Posts

I like the ejector seat button that I've seen somewhere around here.
Old 12-24-2015, 12:41 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,867 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by STG991
Blame pleasing the EPA regime and the lawyers.
Yup. Noise and fuel economy testing is done with the car in the mode it is in when the car is started. That's why you have to press a button for sport engine settings and exhaust in most new sporty cars.
Old 12-24-2015, 02:21 PM
hawc
Racer

Originally Posted by STG991
At least we escaped the engine kill button at stop lights which will need to be turned off at EVERY start up in the 991.2!
Oooooh, seriously? That's brutal.

Quick Reply: Thought About 'Sport/Sport Plus' Buttons