Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing 997 GT3 RS seats in 991 GTS

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 02:12 PM
Vise
Drifting

Received 328 Likes on 202 Posts

Some pics of the Sport Buckets in a GTS... not in North America obviously. This was discussed extensively during launch of the GTS, many of the test/review cars came with the Sport Bucket Seats but it is a Europe/ROW option only.

Old 12-22-2015, 02:12 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,604 Likes on 2,343 Posts

SWEET! - I had forgotten that the GTS'es came with those in the press tests

Last edited by Larry Cable; 12-22-2015 at 03:36 PM.
Old 12-22-2015, 02:15 PM
Vise
Drifting

Yeah, not sure on why a ladies convertible needs sport bucket seats mind you...
Old 12-22-2015, 02:22 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Vise
Yeah, not sure on why a ladies convertible needs sport bucket seats mind you...
Oh I'll make you PAY for that remark!

I'm no lady!
Old 12-23-2015, 02:05 AM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
As I mentioned above, I believe that the (GT2) Sports Buckets were offered as an option on the 991 outside N.A (RoW) for some time, so if you could
obtain a set of those then you would be able to simply DIY install them
since they would already be compatible.
This is pure speculation.

I literally can't believe nobody has actual experience installing sport buckets in a U.S.-spec 991 Carrera. These cars have been on the ground now for nearly four years, and we're still in guinea pig status for this issue.
Old 12-23-2015, 10:18 AM
Vise
Drifting

Originally Posted by nkhalidi
This is pure speculation.

I literally can't believe nobody has actual experience installing sport buckets in a U.S.-spec 991 Carrera. These cars have been on the ground now for nearly four years, and we're still in guinea pig status for this issue.
What is pure speculation, the installation or availability? The pics above prove the Sport Bucket Seats were available on the GTS outside of North America. There are plenty more pics/video proving this as well, search for the GTS launch event in Oct/Nov of last year. I'd tend to agree with Larry that it should be relatively straight forward given there are 991-spec Sport Bucket seats available.... but of course no guarantees that it won't require some coding.

As for no one having experience... seems like a rather expensive gamble to take not to mention the difficulty in tracking down a set of ROW Sport Buckets. Looks like if it is that important you'll need to throw down the $10k+ and make it happen!
Old 12-23-2015, 11:37 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

What is pure speculation, the installation or availability? The pics above prove the Sport Bucket Seats were available on the GTS outside of North America. There are plenty more pics/video proving this as well, search for the GTS launch event in Oct/Nov of last year. I'd tend to agree with Larry that it should be relatively straight forward given there are 991-spec Sport Bucket seats available.... but of course no guarantees that it won't require some coding.

As for no one having experience... seems like a rather expensive gamble to take not to mention the difficulty in tracking down a set of ROW Sport Buckets. Looks like if it is that important you'll need to throw down the $10k+ and make it happen!
+1 the sports buckets are (or were) available for the 991 outside N.A I even included the P/N's from the Techquipment catalog for them!

I have previously replaced A.S.S with SBs myself, it takes under two hours, no coding is required since the seats are electrically and functionally compatible (with the exception of seat heating)

What cannot (or has not been done) is changing the wiring harness on a 997 seat to work on a 991.

As Vise says, throw down $10k with a RoW dealer and get a pair...
Old 12-23-2015, 11:40 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

I think its a 996/7... but the seats are listed for the 991 on the GB techquipment site.

991 044 801 31 or 33 driver
991 044 801 32 or 34 passenger
Note these are the P/N's from the UK Porsche Techquipment catalog ... 991.* indicates these are the 991 seats ...
Old 12-25-2015, 09:51 PM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

wtf "if it is that important." Obviously it's important; if it weren't, this thread wouldn't have been started. And since nobody - quite reasonably - is interested in being a $10k guinea pig, this thread goes nowhere and the issue remains unresolved.
Old 12-25-2015, 11:29 PM
kwikit356
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 65 Posts

What's really hard to believe at this point is that the 997/987 version of these seats were standard on the '12 Cayman R, and maybe the Boxster Spyder as well. You had to opt out of them. At the time I ordered my Cayman R I could not quickly find any to try for size/comfort. The dealer said I was too big to fit- this at 6' and 185 lbs. What BS that was. That car was my first new Porsche, ever. I learned from the experience.

I would have happily given up heating/cooling for the SB seats in the 991. They are incredibly good, just a little harder to get in and out. Adding a harness and helmet changes that of course, but then the NA market seats and belts leave a lot to be desired at DE events. Having to brace yourself (using your left leg/foot on the dead pedal for rights) at turn-in just after downshifting adds what should be an unnecessary step to the process. It can also lead to too tight a grip on the steering wheel. Having a good seat takes all of that out the equation.
Old 12-26-2015, 02:34 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

wtf "if it is that important." Obviously it's important; if it weren't, this thread wouldn't have been started. And since nobody - quite reasonably - is interested in being a $10k guinea pig, this thread goes nowhere and the issue remains unresolved.
I'm not sure what is unresolved, the Sports Buckets were/are available for the 991 outside of N.A, once you obtain a pair, its about a 2hr DIY, simple plug and play
there is no uncertainty about the electrical or mechanical compatibility.

Attempting to retrofit the 997 version of the seats into a 991 is something that AFIAK has not been done, it requires important information about the 997 and 991 wiring harnesses that perhaps only a dealer might have "at best" ... IMO
if you want LWBs in your 991 obtaining the 991 versions will be the simplest
route to go...
Old 12-28-2015, 04:24 PM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

I'm not sure what is unresolved, the Sports Buckets were/are available for the 991 outside of N.A, once you obtain a pair, its about a 2hr DIY, simple plug and play
there is no uncertainty about the electrical or mechanical compatibility.

Attempting to retrofit the 997 version of the seats into a 991 is something that AFIAK has not been done, it requires important information about the 997 and 991 wiring harnesses that perhaps only a dealer might have "at best" ... IMO
if you want LWBs in your 991 obtaining the 991 versions will be the simplest
route to go...
Really? You know for sure that RoW 991 sport buckets will mate physically and electronically with a U.S.-spec 991 Carrera? Or do you just think so?
Old 12-28-2015, 05:12 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Really? You know for sure that RoW 991 sport buckets will mate physically and electronically with a U.S.-spec 991 Carrera? Or do you just think so?
I do not care for your attitude at all, its totally uncalled for, you asked for
help its been given.

The RoW cars and NA cars are electrically compatible wrt the seat wiring harness
Old 12-28-2015, 05:25 PM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

I do not care for your attitude at all, its totally uncalled for, you asked for
help its been given.

The RoW cars and NA cars are electrically compatible wrt the seat wiring harness
Actually, I didn't ask for help.

You didn't address my question, yet you repeat this statement as if it's fact. If you don't for sure, then don't speculate on this safety-related, $10k issue.
Old 12-28-2015, 05:58 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Actually, I didn't ask for help.

You didn't address my question, yet you repeat this statement as if it's fact. If you don't for sure, then don't speculate on this safety-related, $10k issue.
F**k you then.... assh*le

good luck getting any help of any kind on RL

I told you that the 997 seats are not electrically compatible with the 991, I found the RoW p/n's for you, which are ... you you treat me like I insulted you... well your wish is my command

Quick Reply: Installing 997 GT3 RS seats in 991 GTS