Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield Wiper Replacement Blades?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 09:37 PM
beaverlake
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Windshield Wiper Replacement Blades?

Winter in the Pacific NW - glorious time of the year. New wiper blades are in order.

Are there any "good" replacement blades that fit our 991s that are NOT either Bosch OE or from the dealer? I tried Michelin Stealth and the passenger is narrow PTB, but the driver side (21") is not. I thought I had put Bosch ICONs on our previous 991 but now there is no fitment. Trico is supposed to fit but the clips wouldn't work.

Having tried various search on the forum with no luck I'll turn you all of you.

Arrrgh!
Old 12-14-2015, 09:52 PM
Dude174
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I was at o'reillys today looking at wiper blades for our cayenne and at $26/ea for the cheap brand, suncoast has oem for $50/or and I know they will fit. YMMV of course
Old 12-14-2015, 10:57 PM
Jim M.
Rennlist Member

Received 891 Likes on 462 Posts

Costco has Goodyear blades which look to be a copy of the Porsche originals. On sale now for $7.00 IIRC.
Old 12-15-2015, 12:16 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

I assume wiper blades on the 911 are very slow moving part at the Porsche distribution center.

I hear the last set was sold six months ago.
Old 12-15-2015, 03:59 AM
beaverlake
Rennlist Member

Yeah, well thanks STG - wipers are a way of life here in the Pacific NW for all of us who drive year-round. Noisy wipers are the devils spawn in our winters. I clay and polish my windshield and some blades still chatter. 991 wiper arms take a narrow top-button snap in mount and neither ICON nor Michelin Stealth make a narrow-mount 21" driver's side blade. Trico is supposed to fit but doesn't.

So I ended up at the dealer buying the Porsche blades at a discount but at least now if I have an issue I now have a partner if a fix is in order.

In any case I've learned the hard way that purchasing third-party blades is a tricky business and that's why I asked the forum for any known/proven alternatives.

BTW - thanks for the entertaining and informative follow up on that great Canadian cash-only deal!

Gordon
Old 12-15-2015, 09:17 AM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by beaverlake
Yeah, well thanks STG - wipers are a way of life here in the Pacific NW for all of us who drive year-round. Noisy wipers are the devils spawn in our winters. I clay and polish my windshield and some blades still chatter. 991 wiper arms take a narrow top-button snap in mount and neither ICON nor Michelin Stealth make a narrow-mount 21" driver's side blade. Trico is supposed to fit but doesn't.

So I ended up at the dealer buying the Porsche blades at a discount but at least now if I have an issue I now have a partner if a fix is in order.

In any case I've learned the hard way that purchasing third-party blades is a tricky business and that's why I asked the forum for any known/proven alternatives.

BTW - thanks for the entertaining and informative follow up on that great Canadian cash-only deal!

Gordon

I'm with you, just trying to be funny. Thanks for the update. Good to know.

I'll keep you updated on the "Canadian deal", I'm sure I'll get another email!

Last edited by STG; 12-15-2015 at 11:53 AM.
Old 12-15-2015, 11:48 AM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

Received 4,375 Likes on 1,537 Posts

So you have a $ 100,000 car and you want to cheap out on the wiper blades.....lol.
Old 12-16-2015, 07:09 AM
beaverlake
Rennlist Member

No Duane - I was looking for alternatives that might offer better performance since rain in the fall and winter is a way of life up here. What I learned is that options are limited. If I can save a few bucks along the way so much the better - I imagine you make similar decisions regarding your car. It's just a search for the best value.

In this case I'll just wait a year or so (I hope) and look again.
Old 12-16-2015, 07:18 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,227 Likes on 742 Posts

Nothing wrong with saving money where you can or looking for good alternatives. The Porsche Tax on some things with just the Porsche name on it is just ridiculous, and may I dare say, a ripoff!
Old 12-16-2015, 10:00 AM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

Received 4,375 Likes on 1,537 Posts

What you will find is that the aftermarket blades will probably work, but don't fit the curve of windshield and will partially lift off and the end of the sweep on the tip ends of the blades. End result will be some streaking. I have found that using Rain-X on the glass makes the wipers much more efficient and then wipe the rubber blades themselves every other car wash with a rag that has some denatured alcohol along the edge of the blade itself to clean off any debris. Makes the wipers last much longer!
Old 12-16-2015, 10:54 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,413 Likes on 2,516 Posts

The other issue to consider with aftermarket blades, is wiper lift at higher speeds. Porsche blades are pretty complex. They are both curved and arched.
Old 12-17-2015, 08:11 AM
trysixty
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
The other issue to consider with aftermarket blades, is wiper lift at higher speeds. Porsche blades are pretty complex. They are both curved and arched.
I can visualize it.....A Porsche Convertible driven daily in the ungodly PNW weather through yuppieville Bellevue at high speeds with the windshield wipers sticking straight up.
Old 12-17-2015, 09:20 AM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by trysixty
.....driven daily ....through yuppieville Bellevue at high speeds
i bought my first 911 , a new triple black 1987 Carrera Targa , as a card carrying Gordon Gecko - era " yuppie " living in and driving around on weekends a block from Chicago's Lake Shore Drive / Magnificent Mile / 100 story John Hancock Building .

We are decades past " young " or residing within an " urban " core except for boomerangs and many , like me , have retired from our " professions " !

It was then and still now considered a derogatory mass media envy-whipped term that will be always be stuck to those of us who were the youngest of the 1946-1964 baby boomer urban professionals ( in 20s/ earliest 30s in the 1980s ) who entered the work force at the peak when the US economy was going crazy and we thought we would inherit and rule the business world ....that is , until Black Friday followed by Black Monday in October 1987 came !

Last edited by MKW; 12-17-2015 at 10:00 AM.
Old 12-17-2015, 09:46 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,413 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Originally Posted by MKW
i bought my first 911 , a new triple black 1987 Carrera Targa , as a card carrying Gordon Gecko - era " yuppie " living in and driving around on weekends a block from Chicago's Lake Shore Drive / Magnificent Mile / 100 story John Hancock Building . A heady time esp for foodies like me with the emerging of its world class food scene driven by us so-called yuppies . I ate at a very young Charlie Trotter's eponymous place right after he opened it , as an example . We are decades past " young " or residing within an " urban " core except for boomerangs and many , like me , have retired from our " professions " ! It was then and still now considered a derogatory mass media envy-whipped term that will be always be stuck to those of us who were the youngest of the 1946-1964 baby boomer urban professionals ( in 20s/ earliest 30s in the 1980s ) who entered the work force at the peak when the US economy was going crazy and we thought we would inherit and rule the business world ....that is , until Black Friday followed by Black Monday in October 1987 came !
You have a way with words. Well written. Fun to have read. Thanks!

And I think you were the guy that almost hit me in a cross walk once on St Clair Street. Your exhaust sounded awesome.
Old 12-17-2015, 10:35 AM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by MKW
i bought my first 911 , a new triple black 1987 Carrera Targa , as a card carrying Gordon Gecko - era " yuppie " living in and driving around on weekends a block from Chicago's Lake Shore Drive / Magnificent Mile / 100 story John Hancock Building .

We are decades past " young " or residing within an " urban " core except for boomerangs and many , like me , have retired from our " professions " !

It was then and still now considered a derogatory mass media envy-whipped term that will be always be stuck to those of us who were the youngest of the 1946-1964 baby boomer urban professionals ( in 20s/ earliest 30s in the 1980s ) who entered the work force at the peak when the US economy was going crazy and we thought we would inherit and rule the business world ....that is , until Black Friday followed by Black Monday in October 1987 came !

Great story. Who knew, in a windshield wiper thread! Ha ha.

I was driving to Chicago to watch Michael Jordan play and getting fake ID's made in my mid/late teens in the mid/late 80's.

The 80's were great.

Today's 20 somethings? Young urban hippies. Don't want to work or shave. Live in their parents house and collect gov't checks. Flashback from the 60's. All things come around full circle.

You'll be able to relive those days in the next 10yrs maybe ripping along Lakeshore Dr. That's if you don't get pelted by eggs from the latest "Occupy flavor of the day" crowd.

Quick Reply: Windshield Wiper Replacement Blades?