Sponsored by:

Dipped my wheels.

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2015, 05:35 AM
c615586
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Dipped my wheels.

I like the black painted sport techno wheels, but my CPO C4S came with standard wheels. I watched a couple of youtube vids by the dipyourcar.com guy and figured I would give it a shot.

I'm pretty pleased with results considering it cost me about $15. I got some rough edges on one of the spokes because I waited too long to pull the tape off but from 10 or 15 feet away you can't really tell. Plus, if I get tired of it or want to take a second shot at it, I can just peel it off and start all over again.
Old 12-12-2015, 06:44 AM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 856 Likes on 431 Posts

looks good.
Old 12-12-2015, 08:32 AM
Puf n Stuf
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks more than good.

I've not used that stuff before. How easy will it be to sharpen the edge on that 3 o'clock spoke?
Old 12-12-2015, 02:46 PM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Damn. Great job.
Old 12-12-2015, 05:03 PM
c615586
Instructor

Originally Posted by Puf n Stuf
Looks more than good.

I've not used that stuff before. How easy will it be to sharpen the edge on that 3 o'clock spoke?
Thanks! Way cheaper than the $1600 extra Porsche would want to get the same effect and you can do it in one evening without taking the wheels off the car.

It's very easy to use and pretty forgiving as far as application goes. To properly fix the paint around that spoke, I'll have to peel the paint off around the spoke, remask and respray those areas. The key to getting a clean edge is to pull the masking tape off before the paint completely dries which is sort of the opposite of most other paint.

The dipyourcar.com guy recommends 4 coats of black as a base and then whatever you want as a top coat (metallizer or colored plastidip). You can then follow with glossifier or leave it as a matte finish.
Old 12-12-2015, 06:04 PM
c615586
Instructor

Actually, it all started when my son told me he wished his bike was a different color and wanted it to be like a flame or a blowtorch. All my repressed anger at having an absentee dad from childhood came back to me and I resolved to paint his bike for him. After googling a bit, I found out about plastidip.

The bike took me a few evenings after work to complete. I used 4 coats of black, two coats of blaze orange and followed it with red and gold metallizers.

It's a bit of ten footer finish, but he's happy and he'll be growing into a new bike in six months anyway. You can also see where I plastidipped my porsche lettering on the engine cover black.

I had to build a mini paint booth for the bike frame and made a bit of a mess of my garage, but it was worth it, I think.

I also did my stone guards in black because they were starting to turn a bit yellow--again, way cheaper than $70 for new ones from Porsche.

Old 12-13-2015, 12:53 AM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Nice job! What technique did you use to mask the logo lettering?

Also, I like your license plate...though this wasn't a banner year for us.
Old 12-13-2015, 05:40 AM
c615586
Instructor

Originally Posted by BradB
Nice job! What technique did you use to mask the logo lettering?

Also, I like your license plate...though this wasn't a banner year for us.
Thanks! I followed a tip I found on here on rennlist. I cleaned the letters and adjacent sheet metal with a simple green and I used some tiregloss and applied it around the letters as close as possible. Then I used painters tape of around each letter and masked the rest of the car off. 4 coats of black. I didn't use glossifier and left it matte, but I guess that's an option.

I was able to peel off most of the overspray with my fingers. I used a cuticle stick (of all things) to get the rest of the overspray off around the more complex letters.

I ended up debadging the "911 Carrera 4S" letters because it looked a little busy.

Frustration and sadness is just a part of being a Mizzou sports fan. I was there back in the 90's when going 5 and 6 was a big deal and we tore down the goal posts in '97 after we ALMOST beat Nebraska.

The other stuff that happened this fall was a long time coming, but certainly cast our school in a negative public light.

That being said, MZU TGR is much easier to get on a license plate in Ohio than Missouri.
Old 12-13-2015, 03:33 PM
DaveGee
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 272 Posts

How durable is plastidip? Can you wash your wheels with a soft brush, or will it harm the paint? Maybe the durability of the paint on your sons bike is a good test - kids aren't known to take precautions when it comes to stuff like this.

Nice job btw.

DaveGee
Old 12-13-2015, 04:28 PM
larspronne
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGee
How durable is plastidip? Can you wash your wheels with a soft brush, or will it harm the paint? Maybe the durability of the paint on your sons bike is a good test - kids aren't known to take precautions when it comes to stuff like this. Nice job btw. DaveGee
its pretty durable as long as you dont use any petrolium based or acid based cleaners
Old 12-13-2015, 04:55 PM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by c615586
Thanks! I followed a tip I found on here on rennlist. I cleaned the letters and adjacent sheet metal with a simple green and I used some tiregloss and applied it around the letters as close as possible. Then I used painters tape of around each letter and masked the rest of the car off. 4 coats of black. I didn't use glossifier and left it matte, but I guess that's an option.

I was able to peel off most of the overspray with my fingers. I used a cuticle stick (of all things) to get the rest of the overspray off around the more complex letters.

I ended up debadging the "911 Carrera 4S" letters because it looked a little busy.

Frustration and sadness is just a part of being a Mizzou sports fan. I was there back in the 90's when going 5 and 6 was a big deal and we tore down the goal posts in '97 after we ALMOST beat Nebraska.

The other stuff that happened this fall was a long time coming, but certainly cast our school in a negative public light.

That being said, MZU TGR is much easier to get on a license plate in Ohio than Missouri.
Thanks for the info! You are inspiring me to do my rear logotype.

As for Mizzou football, a new coaching era starts next year so I'll just put the tiger tail and foam finger in storage for a while and hope for next year.
Old 12-14-2015, 06:02 AM
c615586
Instructor

Originally Posted by DaveGee
How durable is plastidip? Can you wash your wheels with a soft brush, or will it harm the paint? Maybe the durability of the paint on your sons bike is a good test - kids aren't known to take precautions when it comes to stuff like this.

Nice job btw.

DaveGee
The kids on our street had an El Nino sponsored December Bike Wash today. Happy to say my son's paint job held up well. I don't expect it to last forever, but it will be a nice durability test. I have a 2007 Phantom Black Audi RS4 that will be officially 10 years old next November. It might be fun to give it a new paint job at 10 years old.

As for the 911, the wheel and gravel guard are holding up well. They're both about 6 weeks old have been through rainy days and a few car washes. I did use a soft brush on the wheels. The glossifier has gone off, so the black on the inner part of the wheel is a bit more satin looking than shiny. I might clean them up and hit with glossifier again to see what happens.

Old 12-14-2015, 09:10 AM
9914s
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 145 Posts

Year old dip and still looking great

Old 12-14-2015, 09:22 PM
Briby
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not bad at all on any of this. Might need to give it a try on the 914.
Old 12-20-2015, 06:46 PM
c615586
Instructor

Originally Posted by 9914s
Year old dip and still looking great

Looks great!

How much tint do you have on your taillights? I'm thinking about getting the Lamin-X taillight tint film from Suncoast.

Quick Reply: Dipped my wheels.