Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trouble deciding on my first 911

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2015 | 04:11 AM
JCviggen
Rennlist Member

Default Trouble deciding on my first 911

First post, long time enthusiast and now finally prospective 911 buyer - hello!

I've read quite a few topics on this forum already but probably missed some as well, apologies for bringing stuff up that has doubtlessly been covered before.

I'm torn between ordering one of the very last GTS (which according to the dealer I can still order from Russia even though they've already disappeared off the Porsche page in Europe - still available on the US page as well I see) or a new .2 2S.

As I see it, the GTS has going for it: sound, special model probably last of the big NA carreras, slightly better value.
Negatives: Slower, possibly a bit outdated looking/feeling in a year or two looking back.

991.2 positive: A bit faster - but a lot faster feeling I'm sure. Rear wheel steering option. Slightly better car all around on paper.
Negative: somewhat more expensive, early car means lack of some desirable features in the configurator. Not as special. Sound is a bit of a gamble at this stage.

This year I've driven a 991 3.4 convertible for 2 weeks on holiday in Norway and a 991 C4 GTS in Moscow on loan from Porsche. Both were PDK.

The convertible actually surprised me, the engine was more pleasant than I thought it would be and it sounded great with the standard exhaust. It was otherwise extremely base not even PASM or SC. Handling was very good. Could use more torque but the way it developed its power at higher revs was entertaining.

Then the GTS, and I found it a bit of a confusing car. Undeniably awesome in some ways and it was stuffed with options - PDCC included - but I had trouble getting a sense of speed in it. The PDK bangs through the gears but the outright acceleration didn't excite me as much as I hoped it would.

I did some timing on the road and in gear it was exactly as fast as my B7 RS4 which admittedly does have an exhaust and tune but is otherwise quite a heavy family car and about equal power wise though slightly up on torque. I was surprised the 911 wasn't faster. PDK shifts gained it time but those don't actually add much to the feeling of acceleration. So I was left not really disappointed but rather not as excited as I had hoped to be. I also found the car feeling rather dead/numb around town compared to the base convertible I drove earlier.

My GTS spec would thus be very different to the car I drove. I'm sure I won't get PDCC but I would get SPASM. No power steering plus. Manual gearbox rather than PDK, maybe if I'm busier following the tach rather than wait for the PDK to pick off another gear the car will feel faster. Rear wheel drive instead of the AWD as well.

I figure ditching both PDK and the AWD will make the car more of an event to drive, I'll also forego the heavier seats and will even skip the seat heating option. It does get cold in winter but honestly by the time a seat warms up I've already forgotten about the cold anyway. I've tried to put a pretty "pure" car together. I can't get the buckets or the GTS interior package because my wife doesn't like either. Fair enough.

This is what I've come up with after way too much time on the configurator...

GTS: http://www.greenringer.net/various/GTS.png
.2 2S http://www.greenringer.net/various/2S.png

For the GTS I'd actually like to get the dark grey Carrera S wheels, but for some reason you just can't spec them. Only black or silver. Possibly something that can be sorted when at the dealer to order? I appreciate the look and "free expensive option" of the center lock wheels but they just don't make sense for me in terms of getting stuck somewhere unable to get the wheel off. I also suspect they are heavier and I've always quite liked the CS wheels anyway.

On the same topic it's pretty criminal how much extra you need to pay for the wheel colour on the 991.2. I'm OK with options being generally expensive because Porsche, but when they charge you a grand for something you know costs them absolutely nothing extra to do it's a bit insulting. Particularly if you can get another model with exactly the same wheel painted the same colour for a lot less (981). Wish they'd just fleece me for different things where it's not as obvious. Oh well!

The 991.2 I think has a bit of baby GT2 DNA which does appeal to me. It's a bit too comfy and GT-ish I suppose but with a manual gearbox, RWD, RWS, SPASM and sparse optioning I can sort of see it. Particularly as there should be some easy power upgrades available by the time the factory warranty runs out. It comes in about 5 grand above the GTS however and I prefer the look with aerokit which isn't available here. Do like the new rear lights. Sigh.

You may have noticed I left sports chrono off the 2S. With the manual gearbox it seems to me the only benefit is the engine mounts and I really can't tell a difference like most reviewers. It's too much money for something you won't notice plus the switch on the wheel which duplicates functionality of other buttons basically. That's my initial judgement anyway I could change my mind.

I'm slightly interested in a 981 GTS as well, I'm just worried I'll have 911 envy if I did get one of those so that's a long shot right now.
Old 12-06-2015 | 04:38 AM
fansonly
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JCviggen
First post, long time enthusiast and now finally prospective 911 buyer - hello!

I've read quite a few topics on this forum already but probably missed some as well, apologies for bringing stuff up that has doubtlessly been covered before.

I'm torn between ordering one of the very last GTS (which according to the dealer I can still order from Russia even though they've already disappeared off the Porsche page in Europe - still available on the US page as well I see) or a new .2 2S.

As I see it, the GTS has going for it: sound, special model probably last of the big NA carreras, slightly better value.
Negatives: Slower, possibly a bit outdated looking/feeling in a year or two looking back.

991.2 positive: A bit faster - but a lot faster feeling I'm sure. Rear wheel steering option. Slightly better car all around on paper.
Negative: somewhat more expensive, early car means lack of some desirable features in the configurator. Not as special. Sound is a bit of a gamble at this stage.

This year I've driven a 991 3.4 convertible for 2 weeks on holiday in Norway and a 991 C4 GTS in Moscow on loan from Porsche. Both were PDK.

The convertible actually surprised me, the engine was more pleasant than I thought it would be and it sounded great with the standard exhaust. It was otherwise extremely base not even PASM or SC. Handling was very good. Could use more torque but the way it developed its power at higher revs was entertaining.

Then the GTS, and I found it a bit of a confusing car. Undeniably awesome in some ways and it was stuffed with options - PDCC included - but I had trouble getting a sense of speed in it. The PDK bangs through the gears but the outright acceleration didn't excite me as much as I hoped it would.

I did some timing on the road and in gear it was exactly as fast as my B7 RS4 which admittedly does have an exhaust and tune but is otherwise quite a heavy family car and about equal power wise though slightly up on torque. I was surprised the 911 wasn't faster. PDK shifts gained it time but those don't actually add much to the feeling of acceleration. So I was left not really disappointed but rather not as excited as I had hoped to be. I also found the car feeling rather dead/numb around town compared to the base convertible I drove earlier.

My GTS spec would thus be very different to the car I drove. I'm sure I won't get PDCC but I would get SPASM. No power steering plus. Manual gearbox rather than PDK, maybe if I'm busier following the tach rather than wait for the PDK to pick off another gear the car will feel faster. Rear wheel drive instead of the AWD as well.

I figure ditching both PDK and the AWD will make the car more of an event to drive, I'll also forego the heavier seats and will even skip the seat heating option. It does get cold in winter but honestly by the time a seat warms up I've already forgotten about the cold anyway. I've tried to put a pretty "pure" car together. I can't get the buckets or the GTS interior package because my wife doesn't like either. Fair enough.

This is what I've come up with after way too much time on the configurator...

GTS: http://www.greenringer.net/various/GTS.png
.2 2S http://www.greenringer.net/various/2S.png

For the GTS I'd actually like to get the dark grey Carrera S wheels, but for some reason you just can't spec them. Only black or silver. Possibly something that can be sorted when at the dealer to order? I appreciate the look and "free expensive option" of the center lock wheels but they just don't make sense for me in terms of getting stuck somewhere unable to get the wheel off. I also suspect they are heavier and I've always quite liked the CS wheels anyway.

On the same topic it's pretty criminal how much extra you need to pay for the wheel colour on the 991.2. I'm OK with options being generally expensive because Porsche, but when they charge you a grand for something you know costs them absolutely nothing extra to do it's a bit insulting. Particularly if you can get another model with exactly the same wheel painted the same colour for a lot less (981). Wish they'd just fleece me for different things where it's not as obvious. Oh well!

The 991.2 I think has a bit of baby GT2 DNA which does appeal to me. It's a bit too comfy and GT-ish I suppose but with a manual gearbox, RWD, RWS, SPASM and sparse optioning I can sort of see it. Particularly as there should be some easy power upgrades available by the time the factory warranty runs out. It comes in about 5 grand above the GTS however and I prefer the look with aerokit which isn't available here. Do like the new rear lights. Sigh.

You may have noticed I left sports chrono off the 2S. With the manual gearbox it seems to me the only benefit is the engine mounts and I really can't tell a difference like most reviewers. It's too much money for something you won't notice plus the switch on the wheel which duplicates functionality of other buttons basically. That's my initial judgement anyway I could change my mind.

I'm slightly interested in a 981 GTS as well, I'm just worried I'll have 911 envy if I did get one of those so that's a long shot right now.

GTS orders are done. Its 991.2 orders only from now on.
Old 12-06-2015 | 04:41 AM
JCviggen
Rennlist Member

Thanks!

Porsche Russia told me different but if it turns out that way it will make things easier! Any idea why they're still left for configuration in some geographical areas but not others? You'd think they'd take them down everywhere at once.
Old 12-06-2015 | 04:45 AM
fansonly
Rennlist Member

Thanks!

Porsche Russia told me different but if it turns out that way it will make things easier!
by all accounts, the last of the 991.1s are being built now. someone else might have better data, but I was under the impression that the line would be building 991.2s starting in January.

you'd have to call in a mighty favor to get an order on the line in the next few weeks.
Old 12-06-2015 | 05:06 AM
JCviggen
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the good info! I actually wouldn't mind the decision being made for me if I'm late it would simplify things a lot.

I do have pretty favourable contacts/friends with their press dept who have already kindly given me a considerable discount on a new order. I'll ask them first thing tomorrow about it. If it doesn't work out I'll play the sad disappointed card and ask for a GT4 slot lol
Old 12-06-2015 | 09:10 AM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

Any idea why they're still left for configuration in some geographical areas but not others? You'd think they'd take them down everywhere at once.
The GTS ghosted on the U.S. site for a little bit even after 991.1 orders ceased. I used the Australian configurator to spec out my car here in the States lol. The lag is surely due to a little organizational inefficiency or simply Porsche's desire to ensure that any remaining stock is moved out the door.
Old 12-06-2015 | 11:25 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Old 12-07-2015 | 03:32 AM
JUPJAI
Burning Brakes

991.2 BASE!
best deal of the 911 sports cars
For 1st Porsche
Or find a used GT4
Old 12-07-2015 | 04:37 AM