Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer delivery prep - decline? or will I need paint correction either way?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2015, 11:03 PM
oalvarez
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

and if not "cellophane" wrapped you might as well just get the the first hand wash over with.
Old 12-06-2015, 02:36 AM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by hawc
fansonly, listen to me... do not let the dealer do the the PDI on the exterior of your car. This is my 3rd Porsche and on to the first two I took in to my detailer afterwards. Lots of paint correction from the dealers PDI. On my most recent Porsche I took delivery of it plastic still on it. Shipping dirt still all over it and took it straight to my detailer for proper prep and nano-coating. My dealer thought it was so weird to give me my car that way, all dirty with the plastic still on it, but the car is perfect now. See pics below.

How I picked it up.

After my detailer prepped and nano-coated it.

Did you really drive it home like that? I live about 90 miles from my dealer and I don't think they would have flat bedded it to me for free. I didn't want to ruin my delivery experience with my wife and kids by having the new car look like this. I know I took a chance by letting the dealer do what they are suppose to do anyway and I think they did a great job. When I got home and showed it to my detailer he thought it looked good and that the paint quality from Porsche was very good. I think the dealers must laugh at people spending hundreds or thousands of dollars detailing a brand new car and saving them the work to prepare it.
Jim
Old 12-06-2015, 06:40 AM
budrichard
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

There are some Threads around on picking up your Porsche from the Dealer that include a number of worthwhile comments.
I did not let the Dealer do anything until I arrived about an hour after it came off the Transporter. Took off the coverings myself and inspected. Car was perfect, required no wash or anything. Dealer did mechanical/electrical checks, removed 18 mph restriction and test drive.
No paint correction or anything required, just had the front end clear wrapped.
After 2&1/2 years, paint is fine.
Detailing et al is a waste of money in my opinion, unless you are just going to sit and contemplate your car.
If you are going to enter concours competition, that is a whole different ballgame!-Richard
Old 12-06-2015, 07:31 AM
YYZ
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would strongly recommend NOT having the dealer detail anything on your Pcar. I leave that to the experts. Cquartz, XPEL, Paint Correction or whatever.... have a reputable detail shop help you.
Old 12-06-2015, 09:28 AM
German_Saint
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Y'all act like no one can clean a car unless you are paying $1,500. Come on guys- some people are actually really good at their job even at a dealer.
Old 12-06-2015, 10:15 AM
gbree
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by German_Saint
Y'all act like no one can clean a car unless you are paying $1,500. Come on guys- some people are actually really good at their job even at a dealer.
Usually Louisiana dealers are terrible, but I feel like we got lucky with our Porsche dealers (minus the one in Shreveport).

My dealer does a great job. Wouldn't hesitate to let them do the PDI.
Old 12-06-2015, 10:16 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,176 Likes on 708 Posts

Originally Posted by German_Saint
True, but it is rare and you have to be very lucky if at a dealer.
Old 12-06-2015, 10:23 AM
gbree
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
True, but it is rare and you have to be very lucky if at a dealer.
I think both are valid points. There are definitely a lot of people who are bad at their jobs.
Old 12-06-2015, 10:39 AM
goin2drt
Banned

Received 739 Likes on 403 Posts

What lex said. Let them unwrap it to check for major defects etc. and don't wash/dry it. Good detailers are going to correct the whole car and taking off the wrap isn't going to create any extra work.

Drive it for two weeks dirty and enjoy it. Drop it off at the detailer and when you pick it up it will be the excitement again of taking delivery of a new car. Two in two weeks.
Old 12-06-2015, 10:46 AM
goin2drt
Banned

Received 739 Likes on 403 Posts

And one more thing. Not all dealers are bad at this. My stealer actually subs it out to a very good and reputable detailer. Not only did they detail my car but they corrected it before applying the Xpel. Yes it was a little more expensive but they see a benefit in it because folks can then finance the detail and Xpel.

I had them do it because I had a long haul through ****ty LA traffic and a few rocks from those trucks would have done more damage.
Old 12-06-2015, 11:59 AM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

If you decide not to have the dealer prep the car, make sure they do the other delivery items, such as removing the shipping blocks.
Old 12-06-2015, 12:03 PM
hawc
Racer

Originally Posted by 96redLT4
Did you really drive it home like that?
We peeled the plastic off and screwed the license plates on while I was there and then I drove it home dirty. Gave it a quick wash myself when I got it home and then off to the detailers the following morning for OptiCoating.

Not the shiny car dealer presentation you're normally accustomed to, but no swirl marks all through the paint work later.

The dealer of course did all the other stages of PDI. They just didn't touch the exterior paint.
Old 12-06-2015, 12:28 PM
jsalah
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by goin2drt
What lex said. Let them unwrap it to check for major defects etc. and don't wash/dry it. Good detailers are going to correct the whole car and taking off the wrap isn't going to create any extra work.

Drive it for two weeks dirty and enjoy it. Drop it off at the detailer and when you pick it up it will be the excitement again of taking delivery of a new car. Two in two weeks.
This.

Originally Posted by 96redLT4
I didn't want to ruin my delivery experience with my wife and kids by having the new car look like this. ... I think the dealers must laugh at people spending hundreds or thousands of dollars detailing a brand new car and saving them the work to prepare it.
Jim
And this. Come on guys... For some of us buying a new Porsche is still a big deal and a family affair. It shouldn't be a terror-inducing experience. I'm all for due care and getting it right, but it's about balance... If I'm getting a new car like this, I'm taking the whole family to see it, we're having lunch after etc... It's an event!
Old 12-06-2015, 12:40 PM
German_Saint
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by gbree
Usually Louisiana dealers are terrible, but I feel like we got lucky with our Porsche dealers (minus the one in Shreveport).

My dealer does a great job. Wouldn't hesitate to let them do the PDI.
I hooked my Porsche dealer up with my friend who is doing the ridiculous expensive coatings etc. The dealer was happy to use my recommendation.
Old 12-06-2015, 01:49 PM
John 996 TT Cab
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When I got my 991 two years ago the dealer actually sent the car to a top level detailing shop to do the paint/body. Same with my Macan Turbo where they asked my preference and sent it out.

Quick Reply: Dealer delivery prep - decline? or will I need paint correction either way?