Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it worth getting a clear bra?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 02:34 PM
gbree
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

My car is currently getting a full paint correction and modesta BC-05 glass coating. I had originally wanted to get a full front (hood, bumper, fenders, mirrors) XPEL clear bra (quoted $1500). However, it seems that *if* the car even gets any rock chips, it would be cheaper to just get another paint correction.

For those of you who have had clear bras installed, would you do it again? I know small imperfections can be seen the XPEL film, which is another deterrent for me. Kind of torn on what direction to go.
Old 11-30-2015, 02:35 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,410 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Yes, keep it nice, pretty, and perfect for the next guy.

From our search function, a good one here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8620...91-or-not.html
Old 11-30-2015, 02:59 PM
Happy911S
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are going to keep it in the garage out of the rain and flying rock to keep LexVan happy when he buys it from you, then you don't need it. If you are going to drive it -- then it is worth it!

I drove mine this weekend on a road trip and got two small place on the front bumper that, without a doubt, would have chipped the paint without a clear bra.
Old 11-30-2015, 03:13 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 321 Likes on 194 Posts

You mean when, not if.

The actual chips you will collect without a clear bra are likely to need much more than a "paint correction" which generally polishes out scratches in the clear coat. Repaint after sun affects the whole car can make minor paint jobs very scary.

If you get a bunch of marks that bother you, just have that section replaced. I am at 30k miles and 3 years of use and have almost none with thinking about in the clear bra.
Old 11-30-2015, 03:20 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Do the PPF. Paint correction just polishes clear coat.

Chips need to be filled and will always be visible. Personally, I HATE chips. Film will look good for a long time and absorbs impact from rocks. If the film does get imperfections, can be replaced. Cheaper than repaint without hassle of a match and more work too.
Old 11-30-2015, 03:25 PM
PatrickC23
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For me, 100%, never had it until my last car, and will never own another car w/o it. The last straw was seeing all the rock chips on the front of my black car and how bad it looked. Couple large chips mixed in with tons of small blemishes. When I look at my M5 now, the front is is 100% clear of any chips, even in the bra. For me, knowing the way I am, the $1500-$2000 is worth it.

Probably overkill, but I even wrapped (and Opti'd) the front end of my wife's Jeep.
Old 11-30-2015, 03:43 PM
gbree
Racer

Originally Posted by Happy911S
If you are going to keep it in the garage out of the rain and flying rock to keep LexVan happy when he buys it from you, then you don't need it. If you are going to drive it -- then it is worth it! I drove mine this weekend on a road trip and got two small place on the front bumper that, without a doubt, would have chipped the paint without a clear bra.
It is my daily driver (for now), so I guess I should do it
Old 11-30-2015, 03:45 PM
gbree
Racer

Okay, I'm going for it. It didn't take much convincing from you guys lol.
Old 11-30-2015, 08:08 PM
mikeearly
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by gbree
Okay, I'm going for it. It didn't take much convincing from you guys lol.
great decision!!
Old 11-30-2015, 08:35 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 852 Likes on 429 Posts

Very worth while if you actually drive your car. I spiritly drive nice twisty country and mountain roads with fellow car enthusiast and the clear bra has taken a beating and holding up very well. I would hate to see the front if I did not have it installed.

I have a platinum silver car and opted for the entire front (hood and fenders) to be covered and unless you really look you can't see it.
Old 11-30-2015, 08:37 PM
gbree
Racer

Originally Posted by CSK 911 C4S
Very worth while if you actually drive your car. I spiritly drive nice twisty country and mountain roads with fellow car enthusiast and the clear bra has taken a beating and holding up very well. I would hate to see the front if I did not have it installed. I have a platinum silver car and opted for the entire front (hood and fenders) to be covered and unless you really look you can't see it.
My biggest worry is if there will be a big difference in the look of the paint in regards to covered vs. non-covered sections. Can you tell a difference personally? Is there a lot of added "orange peel" to the covered sections?
Old 11-30-2015, 08:41 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

My biggest worry is if there will be a big difference in the look of the paint in regards to covered vs. non-covered sections. Can you tell a difference personally? Is there a lot of added "orange peel" to the covered sections?
SunTek film is better for any orange peel. I have it, and literally cannot tell the difference between the panels side-by-side. No difference in sheen, clarity, or texture.
Old 11-30-2015, 08:47 PM
gbree
Racer

Originally Posted by STG991
SunTek film is better for any orange peel. I have it, and literally cannot tell the difference between the panels side-by-side. No difference in sheen, clarity, or texture.
I was told that Suntek is a better film (looks wise), but needs to be replaced quicker (3-5 years) where as XPEL doesn't look as good, but lasts ~10 years. Not sure the truth of that, but it came from an unbiased source.
Old 11-30-2015, 08:55 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 852 Likes on 429 Posts

Some, but you really have to be looking hard. Protecting the front while getting peppered with gravel outweighs the slight visual imperfection. The car just turned 40K miles and it still looks good.

One advantage of platinum silver paint is that it hides so much ... it's great.
Old 11-30-2015, 09:40 PM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Received 181 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by CSK 911 C4S
Some, but you really have to be looking hard. Protecting the front while getting peppered with gravel outweighs the slight visual imperfection. The car just turned 40K miles and it still looks good. One advantage of platinum silver paint is that it hides so much ... it's great.
Anyone who leased get a clear bra? Not sure about keeping the car.

Quick Reply: Is it worth getting a clear bra?