to CLEAR BRA a new 991 or not?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2015, 01:21 PM
Parnelli
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default to CLEAR BRA a new 991 or not?

Hi guys-

I just picked up a 991 in a unique color. I'd like to keep the paint as perfect as possible. What are the pros and cons of putting on a full clear bra? MY concern is that when I wash and dry the car (by hand only) will I leave "marks" under the clear bra if I press to hard? Unfortunately I did this on another car of mine that is about 10 years old......but I'm not sure if the clear bra technology has advanced since then. Also, any chance the bra will turn colors over time?
The car will be at the dealership for another 10- 14 days while my home garage situation clears up. So I'd like to have them do it while it is still there should I decide to have once installed.
Thanks!!
Old 03-07-2015, 01:35 PM
cdelrosario
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

For me, a no-brainer...a definitive YES! My last car did not have the clear bra & the inevitable chips the front end received drove me nuts every time I washed her. Chipped paint on a Porsche...unacceptable.

I believe clear bra technology has come a long way over the past 10 years. My thoughts is that if the bra discolors over time or becomes annoyingly unattractive, I would get it redone. Worth it to avoid paint chips that no amount of touch-up can truly fix.
Old 03-07-2015, 02:19 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 827 Likes on 412 Posts

What color is your car?

I had the entire front and fenders covered and I would do it again. Even though I do have some chips I would have a bunch more if not covered.

I have a silver car and at 1st glance you can't even tell it has a clear bra which is fantastic. I hate to see the line of those who only do 1/2 to 3/4 front covers... go full or don't cover at all.
Old 03-07-2015, 02:35 PM
Vise
Drifting

Received 316 Likes on 193 Posts

Absolutely yes, the paint protection film industry has certainly advanced in the last 10 years. I wouldn't have considered it in the past as they were prone to yellowing etc but not really an issue these days.

As mentioned just ensure you get the full front clip (bumper, hood, fenders, headlights etc) done and you won't even be able to tell. The half front clip look with the seam across the hood is a no go for me. I got my new GTS done including the A-pillars and front section of roof, the only place you can see a seam is at the top of the A-pillar and even then it is not really noticeable. I've been winter driving it since pickup 2 weeks ago and still looks great.
Old 03-07-2015, 02:39 PM
Vise
Drifting

Also congrats on the car... Viper Green is stunning! We need pics once you bring it home.
Old 03-07-2015, 02:42 PM
pap2828
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Parnelli
Hi guys-

I just picked up a 991 in a unique color. I'd like to keep the paint as perfect as possible. What are the pros and cons of putting on a full clear bra? MY concern is that when I wash and dry the car (by hand only) will I leave "marks" under the clear bra if I press to hard? Unfortunately I did this on another car of mine that is about 10 years old......but I'm not sure if the clear bra technology has advanced since then. Also, any chance the bra will turn colors over time?
The car will be at the dealership for another 10- 14 days while my home garage situation clears up. So I'd like to have them do it while it is still there should I decide to have once installed.
Thanks!!
yes 100% yes..

Just had my GTS done the day of delivery and allows me to drive the car a little more spiritedly with no worries.

I had all the car done except for roof and back.....
Old 03-07-2015, 02:44 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

if u can afford it why WOULDN'T u?
Old 03-07-2015, 03:00 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by golfnutintib
if u can afford it why WOULDN'T u?
Well, since you asked the question . . . Yeah, I can afford it but I have no desire to. The $10K or so it would cost is money I'd rather spend taking my wife to Paris. But that's just me, I'd rather have an experience than an unblemished car. However, I wouldn't deride anyone for covering their car if that's what gives them satisfaction/comfort. (Nice GR by the way. If we could find a Speed Yellow, Signal Green, RS Orange and Macadamia (brown) we could have an M&M rally!)
Old 03-07-2015, 03:18 PM
VintageRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 437 Likes on 223 Posts

I didn't buy it although the dealer must have had a huge markup on it.

I didn't want it.
Old 03-07-2015, 03:26 PM
inactive3717
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

#1 - I have a 911 on order... due to arrive in 6 - 8 weeks.
#2 - This will be my first Porsche.
#3 - I've never had a Clear Bra on any of my cars
#4 - I anticipate my car will spend a lot of time in my garage and that I will spend a lot of time washing and waxing it.

My question to those with experience...

One of the things I look forward to most over the next several years will be the washing and waxing of my 911. Somehow the thought of washing and waxing a plastic covered car doesn't appeal to me as much as washing and waxing the real car's painted surface. But... I have no experience with the Clear-Bra technology.

So the question is... Can you wash and wax the protective film covering and enjoy that experience like you would enjoy the experience of doing it to the real car?

Those with experience, I look forward to your thoughts.
Old 03-07-2015, 03:27 PM
Vise
Drifting

Originally Posted by Tcc1999
The $10K or so it would cost is money I'd rather spend taking my wife to Paris.
Not sure if the OP was referring to full body coverage or not but it should not cost that much even for a full car. Best bet is to get the full front clip done which should be in the $1500-2000 price range depending on where you are located.

Key is to not get it done at the dealer! My dealer pricing was over 2x the cost of my local shop that I've been dealing with for years... same as with tint, dealer sends it out to the same place and you pay 2x for their efforts.
Old 03-07-2015, 03:32 PM
Rocket_boy
Burning Brakes

Received 329 Likes on 218 Posts

I'm one that will vote no also for the following reasons....

I can see them,....no matter how good the film or application is I can spot one in a second. If they have any visible lines I can't stand it.

I have never seen any application (as good as it may be) not to lift somewhere, corners, edges, etc. Once they lift then they trap dirt in those areas that is much worse compared to a very nicely done chip repair. Most installers can do a decent job with wrapping edges and such, but I have been able to find these spots on any installation.

I have seen many films get hit with a rock which opens up a very minute hole in it,.....over time water gets in and under the film causing a growing "bullseye" in the paint. Ask my friend who had a very expensive clear bra put on his F430 a year back. He now has a 3'' cloudy white sphere in the middle of his red hood. He now is in the process of stripping off the bra and having the hood repainted. If you ever get any damage to a clear bra, it has to come off and there is a very good chance clear coat will come along with it. Any removal typically means a repaint of the part.

I've learned very well the last few years how to completely fix any chip I get,.....to the point I would have to show it to someone a foot away. It just take a little time and effort, but anyone can do it.

I'm very picky about who touches my car,....I don't want a clear bra installer taking out lights, grills, bumpers or slicing through film into the paint.

I could afford it in a second, but choose not to. Sure I've gotten some chips, I just spend a little time fixing them to the point they are unnoticeable,....and to me that is much better then any clear bra install I have seen.

Just my .02
Old 03-07-2015, 03:33 PM
Vise
Drifting

Originally Posted by slkeyser
So the question is... Can you wash and wax the protective film covering and enjoy that experience like you would enjoy the experience of doing it to the real car?
Yes. I can't speak for all films but on my car you can wash/wax as you would normally... just take care wherever there may be an exposed seam which should be rare if you get the full front clip done. The surface is actually quite soft and feels like paint. I was getting the car detailed afterwards including Opticoat Pro and my shop recommended that I Opti-coat over top for an added layer of protection. My plan is to wash weekly or so and use quick detailer as required, no probs.

Just don't use a buffer/abrasive polish and be careful around any seams... otherwise business as usual.
Old 03-07-2015, 04:13 PM
Parnelli
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the quick feedback guys!

The quote (slightly above $2K) was for full hood and full fenders.

And yes, mine is the Viper Green car. Here is the link

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...esign-pkg.html
Old 03-07-2015, 04:24 PM
SDaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocket_boy
I'm one that will vote no also for the following reasons....

I can see them,....no matter how good the film or application is I can spot one in a second. If they have any visible lines I can't stand it.

I have never seen any application (as good as it may be) not to lift somewhere, corners, edges, etc. Once they lift then they trap dirt in those areas that is much worse compared to a very nicely done chip repair. Most installers can do a decent job with wrapping edges and such, but I have been able to find these spots on any installation.

I have seen many films get hit with a rock which opens up a very minute hole in it,.....over time water gets in and under the film causing a growing "bullseye" in the paint. Ask my friend who had a very expensive clear bra put on his F430 a year back. He now has a 3'' cloudy white sphere in the middle of his red hood. He now is in the process of stripping off the bra and having the hood repainted. If you ever get any damage to a clear bra, it has to come off and there is a very good chance clear coat will come along with it. Any removal typically means a repaint of the part.

I've learned very well the last few years how to completely fix any chip I get,.....to the point I would have to show it to someone a foot away. It just take a little time and effort, but anyone can do it.

I'm very picky about who touches my car,....I don't want a clear bra installer taking out lights, grills, bumpers or slicing through film into the paint.

I could afford it in a second, but choose not to. Sure I've gotten some chips, I just spend a little time fixing them to the point they are unnoticeable,....and to me that is much better then any clear bra install I have seen.

Just my .02
+1. I'm going to stick with the fix any chips as they happen plan, save the couple of thousand dollars, and enjoy washing a 991 that has a completly uniform texture.

Quick Reply: to CLEAR BRA a new 991 or not?