Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the current state of the 'engine stumble' issue?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2023, 05:43 PM
Sajan
Pro

Received 300 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by GermanCarFan1
Totally agree.

Side note: Seems trivial but, before I had the AMCO recall, I did adjust my seat a touch more forward so that my entire foot is in better contact with the gas pedal after I replaced it (vs the heal toe kind of placement) It did have a positive effect around the stumble RPM's of 2600-3000 for me. I think the gas pedal is rather "touchy" IMHO. Before I did this I felt like my foot was "pointing" vs pushing it down if that makes sense..? This is my first Pcar, so the angle of the seat in relation to the pedals was far different from what I was used to with my previous Audi's = drivers seated position
Ya definitely. The only reason I don't think it's the pedal is because I can reproduce with cruise control and when I did that, I logged the throttle pedal % and it was at 0...meaning that pathway is not even active.

The car does feel more zippy at the lower end of RPM range after the camshaft sensor replacement.

Everything is connected. For example a bad coil gives you a PSM failure message..
Seemingly unrelated things are branched off each other. Sh** code..? who knows. It's VW after all.
Maybe turning off PSM speeds things up during those transition...? Skipping some pathways?
One of these days I am going to bite the bullet and get a DME but I figured I mess around with the cheap stuff like sensors first.

Maybe I will get a used one and reprogram it using PIWIS.

Last edited by Sajan; 08-13-2023 at 05:46 PM.
Old 08-13-2023, 05:54 PM
pfan
Pro

Received 78 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Sajan
This was my thought was well yesterday.
For example, from reading through the stumble threads, someone said don't bother with the crankshaft sensor.
But when I was browsing the ends of internet, I saw our fellow stumbler pfan replaced it back in 2014 relating to a stall? https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8649...ont-start.html

I am going to change this out next. Figured for 30 bucks, why not..?

We really need to look at this from a holistic perspective. It's not a single part. It's a suite of sensors/solenoids the DME is manipulating. When one is slightly out of whack, the other compensates. Maybe fellow stumblers have changed many things during their journey. Maybe I haven't changed something yet that others have which is why the PSM off trick is not working for me.

The more I drive it, the more I realize it's at two specific transition points where this stumble is felt. Right around 2200 and then at 2800. At heavier throttle, it presents itself as pauses in torque/power delivery. At slight to moderate load it stutters/stumbles.
It's like going over potholes. Do it slow and you feel each one....if you go fast enough it's bumpy but "smoother". Whatever the DME is programmed to do, the engine is not doing quick enough or seamlessly enough.
I am going to see if I can put a multimeter on the connectors to the camshaft solenoids. It's bugging me that I don't hear them activate when I do the drive link tests unless I repeat the test 8-12 times..if only I had a non-stumble car to test with..

It's also bugging me that one bank's adjustment angle fluctuates a lot more.

Something else I notice is the stutter from a stop to 1st gear but I just assumed this was PDK behavior ..maybe not?
Sajan - If only we had someone at Porsche that was as dedicated to resolving this problem as you, along with many others, we wouldn't be forced to jump through all these hoops. They are well aware the problem exists, but won't lift a finger to help. (Well, I just lifted a finger to them).

BTW, my week or so of non-stumbling bliss is apparently over. It was good while it lasted.
The following users liked this post:
Sajan (08-13-2023)
Old 08-13-2023, 06:14 PM
Sajan
Pro

Originally Posted by pfan
Sajan - If only we had someone at Porsche that was as dedicated to resolving this problem as you, along with many others, we wouldn't be forced to jump through all these hoops. They are well aware the problem exists, but won't lift a finger to help. (Well, I just lifted a finger to them).

BTW, my week or so of non-stumbling bliss is apparently over. It was good while it lasted.
I am sure they know it exists but won't care because:
1. they fixed it in the 991.2+ cars
2. they think it only affects a small subset of cars
3. the root cause and fix itself is costly
4. it affects a lot more cars but better to keep it hush than have a massive recall for something a good % of owners haven't noticed.
one-rennlist (09-06-2023)
Old 08-13-2023, 11:14 PM
Sajan
Pro

Look at all the things the DME controls......any of this technically could be the issue..one of these (bolded) is a prerequisite for PSM..

General overview of DME functions
• Thermal management
• Auto Start Stop function
• Variable deceleration fuel cutoff
• Vehicle electrical system recuperation
• Direct fuel injection (DFI)
• Low-pressure fuel supply
• Returnless fuel system
• High-pressure fuel supply (quantity control valve)
• Electronic throttle
• Electronic throttle with idle speed control
• VarioCam Plus (intake camshaft)
• Demand-controlled variable oil pump
• Switchable resonator on the air cleaner housing
• Tuning flap on the intake system (Carrera S only)
• Intake system sound symposer
• Stereo lambda control circuits
• Flap control on the intake system (Carrera S and sports exhaust system)
• Static high-voltage ignition distribution (individual ignition coils with integrated drivers)
• Cylinder-specific knock control (with 2 knock sensors)
• Differential Hall-effect sensor (detects engine speed, reference mark and direction of rotation of the engine
• Pressure sensor on the intake manifold (detects intake manifold pressure and intake air temperature)
• On-board diagnosis for monitoring the emission control system

I will log some data tomm with "Request for large intake valve" (either 0 or 1) on top of the RPMs.
Old 08-14-2023, 09:18 AM
garthg
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Bishop200
A hesitation between 2500 and 3000 rpm. Most likely suspect is something to do with the variocam transition. It feel almost as if the engine "clears its throat". Above 3000 my car is very smooth.
I have noticed this in my 2022 992, mainly when starting out from cold. It's just a minor hiccup. My wife doesn't even notice it.
I have considered this a minor personality trait and am not letting it bother me. No car is perfect.

slo_991 (09-12-2023)
Old 08-14-2023, 10:49 AM
Sajan
Pro

Don't start with the 992 ...lol. Stay out of this! I need to believe 992 doesn't have this issue.
Otherwise I am done with Porsche.
Old 08-15-2023, 02:44 AM
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 28 Posts

Ok, so the possible cause is the software (turning stability control off apparently helps) Is there anyone that has done a tune and see the issue disappeared?
Old 08-15-2023, 06:28 AM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by 9.1.1
Ok, so the possible cause is the software (turning stability control off apparently helps) Is there anyone that has done a tune and see the issue disappeared?
Unfortunately tunes (Cobb) didn't make a difference to owners who had the stumble.
Sajan (08-15-2023)
Old 08-15-2023, 10:39 AM
Sajan
Pro

Originally Posted by duxsi
Unfortunately tunes (Cobb) didn't make a difference to owners who had the stumble.
Thus implying the software is getting an erratic sensor data or the solenoid it's controlling are not performing correctly.

Old 08-18-2023, 05:42 PM
ettenw
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Maybe, but it doesn't rule out poorly written software. For example, when a series of analog readings are input to the software, the software usually needs to filter the data, i.e., to take out noise spikes or dips. Not doing that correctly amounts to misinterpreting the information. Of course we will never be able to examine that software.
Old 08-18-2023, 06:11 PM
Sajan
Pro

Originally Posted by ettenw
Maybe, but it doesn't rule out poorly written software. For example, when a series of analog readings are input to the software, the software usually needs to filter the data, i.e., to take out noise spikes or dips. Not doing that correctly amounts to misinterpreting the information. Of course we will never be able to examine that software.
I agree. something is erratic just enough to not make the transitions smooth.

1st gear is smooth as butter. No pause. No stumble.
2-7 is when I feel I pause and stumble.

On heavier throttle, it's a pause. on moderate throttle, it stutters.

Maybe it's a electrical connector issue. Going to take off some of these connectors and spray some deoxit on them..
Old 08-18-2023, 07:30 PM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

@Sajan Have you tried accelerating through the stumble range in 2nd, taking your foot off the throttle until it falls below the range, and accelerating through it again?
Does it stumble the 2nd time around?
Old 08-20-2023, 02:59 PM
GermanCarFan1
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Any chance it could be a low voltage problem? Alternator going bad? Sub par fuel has been talked about (maybe use Ethanol FREE gas) could that be pulling the timing causing pre-det and sporadic behavior in low RPM ranges?
Old 08-21-2023, 04:13 AM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GermanCarFan1
Any chance it could be a low voltage problem? Alternator going bad? Sub par fuel has been talked about (maybe use Ethanol FREE gas) could that be pulling the timing causing pre-det and sporadic behavior in low RPM ranges?
No to all of the above including the use of ethanol free fuel.
All tried and tested to no avail..
The following 2 users liked this post by duxsi:
ettenw (08-22-2023), Sajan (08-22-2023)
Old 08-21-2023, 01:53 PM
koala
Three Wheelin'

Received 539 Likes on 315 Posts

I have no idea why but mine has been driving perfectly with the stability control turned "off" (yes, I know it's not fully off). I've really enjoyed driving the past couple of weeks.

I forgot to turn off the stability control yesterday and it exhibited the typical stumble symptoms.

Quick Reply: What is the current state of the 'engine stumble' issue?