Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the current state of the 'engine stumble' issue?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2023, 07:41 PM
Sajan
Pro

Received 300 Likes on 179 Posts

was poking around and decided to read some info from the DME. anyone know if/why L110 and L120 has no value? both showed 0 with car idling.

L50 - actual lambda value ahead of catalyst conv bank 1 - 1.01
L60 - actual lambda value ahead of catalyst conv bank 2 - 1.01

L70 - o2 sensor voltage ahead bank 1 - 2.02v
L80 - o2 sensor voltage ahead bank 2 - 1.99v

L90 - o2 sensor voltage downstream bank 1 - 0.73v
L100 - o2 sensor voltage downstream bank 2 - 0.73v

L110 - lambda regulator downstream of catalyst converter (l portion) bank 1 - 0.00
L120 - lambda regulator downstream of catalyst converter (l portion) bank 2 - 0.00

L130 - lambda controller correction downstream of catalyst converter bank 1 - 4.00
L140 - lambda controller behind catalyst converter bank 2 - 4.00

if stumble is related to variocam plus, i wonder what other sensors it could be..
what all have we tried?

Last edited by Sajan; 06-18-2023 at 08:55 PM.
Old 06-18-2023, 11:59 PM
Sajan
Pro

Originally Posted by koala
I understand there are also two solenoids for the valve lift, but I've purposefully left those alone as I didn't want to just arbitrarily replace parts all in one shot. Made more sense to me to try one thing at a time (and to save some money of course!).
do you plan on changing the valve lift ones?
https://www.sunsetporscheparts.com/o...nt-9a110530405
Old 06-20-2023, 05:46 PM
koala
Three Wheelin'

Received 539 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by Sajan
do you plan on changing the valve lift ones?
https://www.sunsetporscheparts.com/o...nt-9a110530405
Tempted to, but at the same time, I've already thrown like $800+ and countless hours at this problem.

I'm still trying to burn off the tank of mystery fuel that I added a few weeks ago. Has been a hectic stretch + bad weather, so I've only driven my 911 once or twice in the past few weeks. I'm back into semi-retirement on July 1, will start driving a bunch again
The following users liked this post:
Sajan (06-20-2023)
Old 06-20-2023, 10:54 PM
Sajan
Pro

Tempted to, but at the same time, I've already thrown like $800+ and countless hours at this problem.

I'm still trying to burn off the tank of mystery fuel that I added a few weeks ago. Has been a hectic stretch + bad weather, so I've only driven my 911 once or twice in the past few weeks. I'm back into semi-retirement on July 1, will start driving a bunch again
I hear ya. I wonder if there's any correlation to the emissions recall update. Have you done that? I wonder if anyone in this thread with the stumble have done that update..
Old 06-21-2023, 03:05 PM
koala
Three Wheelin'

I hear ya. I wonder if there's any correlation to the emissions recall update. Have you done that? I wonder if anyone in this thread with the stumble have done that update..
Mine is a manual, so there is no recall. I'd gladly update my ECU, even if the result was less total power, to get rid of this issue. Frankly, the car is too fast for the street anyway
Old 06-21-2023, 03:09 PM
squidge
Pro

Received 87 Likes on 45 Posts

My 7MT C2 seems much improved by the Cobb 93 Stage 1 tune. I've only put about 20 miles on it so far, but it's promising. Specifically, the stumble range between 2-3k where it used to feel like it was pulling timing feels much more normal now. I'm not concerned about peak power gains, just drivability. I'm still going to replace the ignition coils and variocam solenoids since I bought them, will report back once I've done that and put >100 miles on the car.

Last edited by squidge; 06-21-2023 at 03:11 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by squidge:
koala (06-21-2023), Sajan (06-22-2023)
Old 06-22-2023, 02:31 PM
Sajan
Pro

Mine is a manual, so there is no recall. I'd gladly update my ECU, even if the result was less total power, to get rid of this issue. Frankly, the car is too fast for the street anyway
I had declined the recall update AMC0 one last year but I went and did it today. Tech also reset the throttle adaption...well stumble is still there.
Initially he noted it as couldn't replicate issue..but wanted me to drive the car and show it.
Sure enough he felt it as a passenger multiple times and described it as "hesitation/misfire".

To me it feels like the car skips a heart beat..something is off with the timing for a split second.

I gave him the run down on the whole issue and summarized the forum posts to him. He is going to keep the car and log some data. I don't expect much from it but hey..worth a shot at this point.

Whatever the issue is, it will take someone with a knack for solving out of the box issues (not your code reading "mechanics").
Unless of course Porsche has one of their engineers look at the actual code which we know ain't happening.

Last edited by Sajan; 06-22-2023 at 02:33 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Porsche_nuts (06-22-2023)
Old 06-22-2023, 03:24 PM
pfan
Pro

Received 78 Likes on 46 Posts

I had declined the recall update AMC0 one last year but I went and did it today. Tech also reset the throttle adaption...well stumble is still there.
Initially he noted it as couldn't replicate issue..but wanted me to drive the car and show it.
Sure enough he felt it as a passenger multiple times and described it as "hesitation/misfire".

To me it feels like the car skips a heart beat..something is off with the timing for a split second.

I gave him the run down on the whole issue and summarized the forum posts to him. He is going to keep the car and log some data. I don't expect much from it but hey..worth a shot at this point.

Whatever the issue is, it will take someone with a knack for solving out of the box issues (not your code reading "mechanics").
Unless of course Porsche has one of their engineers look at the actual code which we know ain't happening.
It's encouraging that the tech acknowledged the problem. In most cases it's the standard denial of any stumble, or the infamous "they all do that."
It continues to amaze me that the stumble isn't recorded somewhere within the DME. One would think that within the tens of thousands of data points, there would be some obvious indication of the problem.

At any rate, it's promising that they're attempting some troubleshooting. I continue to believe the answer is out there; the question is how much effort PCNA and their dealers are willing to expend.
Old 06-22-2023, 04:30 PM
Sajan
Pro

Originally Posted by pfan
It's encouraging that the tech acknowledged the problem. In most cases it's the standard denial of any stumble, or the infamous "they all do that."
It continues to amaze me that the stumble isn't recorded somewhere within the DME. One would think that within the tens of thousands of data points, there would be some obvious indication of the problem.

At any rate, it's promising that they're attempting some troubleshooting. I continue to believe the answer is out there; the question is how much effort PCNA and their dealers are willing to expend.
Yes it felt good to be validated that there is an issue. He stated "I test drove and I couldn't replicate it". But he goes..I hate to just give the car back to you so let's go drive it together.
I know exactly how to replicate it and I looked over it at him when it first happened and asked..you felt that? He goes up. There it is.

And yes how does this not throw a code? Or is it recorded as a misfire (which there are a few of but not enough IMO to show it's a problem).

Which brings me to ...it's a bug in the code or a correction by the DME based on X parameters from X sensors in X cars. The answer is out there for sure but it will take some real sherlock holmes work to find the parameter that's off.

Last edited by Sajan; 06-22-2023 at 04:31 PM.
Old 06-22-2023, 05:38 PM
jfischet
Three Wheelin'

Received 619 Likes on 363 Posts

interesting.

i've had my 991.1 MT since 2018 and i haven't experienced this issue. sometimes its a little rough in the first 30 seconds of driving if it's cold out and the car is cold but that's it.

what i did have in an old car was a bad seat rack which caused a human-chair-inertia induced stumble.
(the force of the car going forward pushed me back a bit, which caused me to release the throttle a bit, which slowed the car, causing inertia me to move forward and press the throttle a bit.)
Old 06-25-2023, 09:23 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,194 Likes on 717 Posts

I reset the ETCS using my PORS V2.0. Seems to have solved stumble - well at least temporarily, but hopefully long term. Will probably reset it each year when I do my oil change and reset the oil service light. Takes 5 seconds.
Old 06-26-2023, 01:02 PM
koala
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
I reset the ETCS using my PORS V2.0. Seems to have solved stumble - well at least temporarily, but hopefully long term. Will probably reset it each year when I do my oil change and reset the oil service light. Takes 5 seconds.
Interesting. I'll have to hook up that tool and try the same thing.

I pulled the fuse in the passenger footwell that I think was for the ECU, and left it sitting that way for about a minute. Hard to tell with 100% certainty as I only had the French manual at hand

Car drove brilliantly this morning. Pretty sure it's not a placebo - I'm too obsessed with how the stumble presents itself and feels.
Old 06-29-2023, 08:58 PM
Sajan
Pro

Dealer visit was useless. he printed me some screenshots of PIWIS and said look all good!
service guy and tech both rode with me and acknowledged the issue and wished me best of luck in finding the solution. haha.....

going to have to get my hands on a PIWIS and start doing my own data capture.
question is what to graph/log. so many inputs/outputs...here's a screenshot i found from a cayman's DME.

Old 07-08-2023, 07:39 PM
Sajan
Pro

I tried logging the pedal value (%) and the throttle plate angle.
It's interesting to see a dip (starting at the grey line) or change in value on the throttle plate angle when the pedal value is relatively the same..

I can also hear an audible diff some kind of pop/puff as this happens...

So question is, is the DME doing this on purpose based on another sensor value or is TB acting bad..?

TOP BOX: PEDAL VALUE LEFT, THROTTLE PLATE ANGLE RIGHT
BOTTOM: THROTTLE VALUE POT 1 (LEFT) AND POT 2 (RIGHT)

Last edited by Sajan; 07-08-2023 at 09:10 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Sajan:
koala (07-08-2023), Larson E. Rapp (07-09-2023), squidge (07-10-2023)
Old 07-09-2023, 09:14 PM
Sajan
Pro

I logged the same data with the car idling. Every so often I feel a little roughness/stutter and on the graph i see the throttle angle value change a little bit.

I know folks have replaced TB without much diff but I am wondering if it's worth a try to eliminate it as a potential cause.

I also ran all the short term tests available in the PIWIS under DME. all passed. When I did the Valve lift ones, I could feel the same stutter/tug. Correlation to TB issue above or causation.....not sure.

Quick Reply: What is the current state of the 'engine stumble' issue?