Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering putting my Carrera S on nitrous

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2015, 10:58 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

The racing on that show is pretty good though. Some of those cars are insanely fast.
Old 11-27-2015, 10:56 AM
gbree
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Marv800
Will I have to remap the ECU, or will it pretty much make adjustments on the fly by itself?
I don't mean to offend you, but if you don't know the answer to this question, you have no business running nitrous. If you don't know what you're doing, it's very easy to pop an engine when running nitrous. There is no tuning support for nitrous on these cars, and trust me when I tell you that you don't want your car to be the test mule for a 991 nitrous tune.
Old 11-27-2015, 12:18 PM
German_Saint
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gbree
I don't mean to offend you, but if you don't know the answer to this question, you have no business running nitrous. If you don't know what you're doing, it's very easy to pop an engine when running nitrous. There is no tuning support for nitrous on these cars, and trust me when I tell you that you don't want your car to be the test mule for a 991 nitrous tune.
Louisiana you say?

The heart & soul of a 911 & "Winning By Design" ethos- great balance in the corners - low center of gravity - & a machine that will run in all conditions.

Transfer that thought to the street over a Corvette. I owned a C5 Vette & @ 135 MPH you would get a pretty good amount of float & loss of steering. @ Speed in the 911 I haven't found that same tendency to float. Being able to place the car at any spot.

If you wanted something that was really fast I'd look at a PDK 911 Turbo & upgrade the ecu, exhaust, turbos. Not sure how much you can tune the new engines. 996 metzger easily 1000hp.
Old 11-27-2015, 12:25 PM
gbree
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by German_Saint
Louisiana you say? The heart & soul of a 911 & "Winning By Design" ethos- great balance in the corners - low center of gravity - & a machine that will run in all conditions. Transfer that thought to the street over a Corvette. I owned a C5 Vette & @ 135 MPH you would get a pretty good amount of float & loss of steering. @ Speed in the 911 I haven't found that same tendency to float. Being able to place the car at any spot. If you wanted something that was really fast I'd look at a PDK 911 Turbo & upgrade the ecu, exhaust, turbos. Not sure how much you can tune the new engines. 996 metzger easily 1000hp.
Born and raised! I agree with you, the NA 911 wasn't build to be a street racing/drag racing car. The 911 turbo is more up that alley.

For the price of even the most basic 911, there are plenty of cars you can have that will launch your buttocks from 0-150+ mph much more effectively. I think *most* people who buy these cars realize that and don't care. I personally bought the car for the decent power/weight ratio coupled with steering feel and handling that is second to no other potential daily driver.
Old 11-27-2015, 12:55 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Sell it. Buy a 991 Turbo or 991 Turbo S. Cheaper in the long run. Proven. Reliable power. Warranty.

You'll get murdered on cost of mods and depreciation. No one wants to buy a modded 991 on the aftermarket.
100% concur. Good way to blow a lot of money, modding something like this (and risk to engine). But hey, not my money ....
Old 11-27-2015, 04:06 PM
German_Saint
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gbree
Born and raised! I agree with you, the NA 911 wasn't build to be a street racing/drag racing car. The 911 turbo is more up that alley.

For the price of even the most basic 911, there are plenty of cars you can have that will launch your buttocks from 0-150+ mph much more effectively. I think *most* people who buy these cars realize that and don't care. I personally bought the car for the decent power/weight ratio coupled with steering feel and handling that is second to no other potential daily driver.
Nice i"m in Mandeville.
Old 12-03-2015, 12:50 AM
Gem Mookherjea
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

maybe we're talking this kind of nitrous?
Attached Images  
Old 12-03-2015, 11:04 AM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Received 182 Likes on 97 Posts

If you do the mod, which I pray you do, I know a outfit in Oakland that add to the charm with an mother mod that is right up your alley. It's a unique one that wa s featured on the news. Just ask for Bubb Rubb or Lil' Sis.

News Clip:
Old 12-03-2015, 11:26 AM
saa106
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Marv800
So I'm toying with the idea of having a wet nitrous system on my car. Nothing crazy, but maybe a 75-100 shot. Anyone here have any experience in nitrous on the 3.8? Will I have to remap the ECU, or will it pretty much make adjustments on the fly by itself?
Call Terry at

http://www.lawellmotorsports.com/

Houston shop that has done some weird crazy builds throughout the years.
Old 12-03-2015, 11:32 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by NA430GTS
If you do the mod, which I pray you do, I know a outfit in Oakland that add to the charm with an mother mod that is right up your alley. It's a unique one that wa s featured on the news. Just ask for Bubb Rubb or Lil' Sis.
Love Bub Rubb! He's right up there with Sweet Brown.
Old 12-05-2015, 06:55 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,441 Likes on 834 Posts

Originally Posted by Slantnose!
I think the dry-shot that blows into the intake is better/safer than the usual wet-shot/injector kind.
Absolutely not. The wet kits deliver fuel directly, not through the hokey cool the maf setup on dry kits. No freezing mafs either.

If I wanted to run nitrous it would be a direct port wet kit. Not sure how well that works with dfi motors though
Old 12-05-2015, 10:41 AM
Slantnose!
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Absolutely not. The wet kits deliver fuel directly, not through the hokey cool the maf setup on dry kits. No freezing mafs either.

If I wanted to run nitrous it would be a direct port wet kit. Not sure how well that works with dfi motors though
Well, best I can tell it is.
There's no way to tap into the high pressure fuel line with 1000+ psi and can't imagine anyone wanting to tap + drill the intakes, etc., plus you'd probably have to then get a tune or piggyback controller...
...the dry system offers a moderate increase and safe(ish) way to add nitrous realistically.
Old 12-05-2015, 12:08 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,441 Likes on 834 Posts

dry kits generally work ok for a 50 shot or so. I ran one back on my mustang and it was finicky.

Running a wet kit on a dfi would be a challenge and may require a separate fuel line and pump.

I just don't like the enrichment method of the dry kits.
Old 12-09-2015, 01:00 PM
Chubby Racer
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Slantnose!
I think the dry-shot that blows into the intake is better/safer than the usual wet-shot/injector kind.
Wet is ALWAYS safer. With a dry kit you're adding nitrous, and hoping the ECU gives you enough fuel to not lean out. With a Wet kit you're adding nitrous AND adding enough fuel not to lean out.

That being said, OP: 75hp is a actually a lot of nitrous. You're thinking that you'd "just" do a 75 shot is way off base. This isn't a mustang that has forged pistons and rods stock. All the NA 3.8s have lightweight cast items.
Old 12-09-2015, 02:43 PM
Bents
Rennlist Member

Received 609 Likes on 282 Posts

OP - go back to "trolling" m3forum.

Quick Reply: Considering putting my Carrera S on nitrous