Sponsored by:

Atlanta Porsche Experience report

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2016, 03:00 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,185 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Originally Posted by Sharm
Going this upcoming Saturday. Wonder if the 991.2s will be there? I'm doing Master the Manual. Better yet, an R!
They have been there for about a month. I am going down in June to take one out on the track.
Old 04-23-2016, 11:26 PM
zer0cool
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Absolutely amazing experience, 6 out of 5 stars. Drove a 911.2 S today with PDCC and PSE (and of course PDK and SC). I have never driven that hard before... I think I will go back later this year. Did 4 launches and then full breaking after reaching speed. Being thrown forward in the seat felt amazing.

The track is quite nice. Although you can't get to crazy speed, probably due to safety reasons, there is a good straight and a moderate curve. Both of these end with fairly tight right turns. I think you can get over 100mph if you step completely in and then FULL BREAK aiming for the apex and then turn hard right. The acceleration, then breaking, and the lateral g-force in those two turns... just felt amazing. Some really nice tight turns elsewhere... definitely physically draining after a while. Also got to do some slalom, and also a drift course, quite nice to turn, step, hear 4k rpm, drift, etc.

The coach was amazing; mine was someone with decades of experience, instructor at the driving school, and moved to ATL after the place opened. At the very end, he did a couple laps... so much better than me, so much more lateral G; the turns just felt amazing when done right.

OK the car, amazing car. Such amazing grip, steering, body control, easy to feel the limit, power is instant, I didn't feel any turbo lag. Sounds amazing with PSE. Actually I prefer with no PSE, since although PSE is good, I prefer the car to be quieter... turned it off, but I think the coach turned it back on somewhere, and I just didn't remember to turn it back off (since too concentrated on driving). Also car is louder under S or S+ anyways. Such easy power, step on it and it just goes instantly... acceleration felt amazing coming off a curve, going into a straight, and just step on it! Then off course breaking like no tomorrow... so amazing...

Everyone MUST go.
Old 04-24-2016, 12:35 AM
Cajun Martyni
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm taking my 23 year old son next month. First time (for both of us). Really looking forward to it!
Old 05-01-2016, 04:48 PM
Sharm
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 42 Posts

Just came back from Master the Manual. Great experience!

Got to drive a base Cayman, then a Cayman GTS, AND finally a GT4!! All three cars were amazing, learning the full capability and limits of these cars is something which I never really approach on the streets, so having an instructor pushing you to push the car harder on each successive lap is very helpful. The GT4 was splendid with the short shift stick. The coolest part was taking each successive car with progressively higher capabilities and seeing how the improved power and handling make a difference.

Also learning rev matching and getting a little into heel and toe was very fun!
Old 05-19-2016, 05:57 PM
maxpowers
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Sharm
Just came back from Master the Manual. Great experience!

Got to drive a base Cayman, then a Cayman GTS, AND finally a GT4!! All three cars were amazing, learning the full capability and limits of these cars is something which I never really approach on the streets, so having an instructor pushing you to push the car harder on each successive lap is very helpful. The GT4 was splendid with the short shift stick. The coolest part was taking each successive car with progressively higher capabilities and seeing how the improved power and handling make a difference.

Also learning rev matching and getting a little into heel and toe was very fun!
I'm thinking of taking a road trip around Atlanta and if I'm there I definitely want to try the master the manual. Glad to hear it's been fun for others.
Old 05-23-2016, 12:58 AM
Cajun Martyni
Instructor

Had a great time at the Porsche Experience this past Saturday. Instructors were great! Pleasant and professional. Fantastic facility. I'll go back.
Old 08-31-2016, 12:32 AM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 211 Posts

Digging up this older thread. I'm looking to visit from Australia in early January and had a look on the website but couldn't find the GT4 or GT3 experiences that people talk of? I would like to do whatever includes the most on-track lapping as opposed to skid pans etc (I'd be up for that too, just prefer to lap mostly). If anyone could point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it!
Old 08-31-2016, 07:09 AM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,185 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Originally Posted by spiller
Digging up this older thread. I'm looking to visit from Australia in early January and had a look on the website but couldn't find the GT4 or GT3 experiences that people talk of? I would like to do whatever includes the most on-track lapping as opposed to skid pans etc (I'd be up for that too, just prefer to lap mostly). If anyone could point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it!

Here it is: https://www.porschedriving.com/exper...ng-experiences

GT4 and GT3 are listed.
Old 08-31-2016, 03:18 PM
Cajun Martyni
Instructor

Originally Posted by spiller
You can do pretty much want you want to do with your time. Do it mid-week if you can. Less people and less congestion on the track than on weekends.
Old 08-31-2016, 11:34 PM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by subshooter
Here it is: https://www.porschedriving.com/exper...ng-experiences

GT4 and GT3 are listed.
So all I had to do was scroll down!! Thank you for the link
Originally Posted by Cajun Martyni
You can do pretty much want you want to do with your time. Do it mid-week if you can. Less people and less congestion on the track than on weekends.
It's looking like it will be a Thursday or Friday. Id like to drive the GT3, RS and GT4 so hopefully I can swing it. So the instructors are pretty laid back as to where you spend the time? That sounds great!
Old 09-01-2016, 11:11 AM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 275 Likes on 141 Posts

The GT4 and GT3 are sometimes not listed, or are combined with other 'packages' on the website. Give them a call, tell them what you want to drive, and they can tailor something for you.

You will have 1.5 hours of solid time in the car. Where and when you spend that time is up to you...but the track is not long...you will get a lot of laps in 20-30 minutes if traffic is light, and will want to break up your time. Plus, on the short handling course and skid pad you can practice driving with the tail out, which is fun and challenging.
Old 09-01-2016, 11:10 PM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
The GT4 and GT3 are sometimes not listed, or are combined with other 'packages' on the website. Give them a call, tell them what you want to drive, and they can tailor something for you.

You will have 1.5 hours of solid time in the car. Where and when you spend that time is up to you...but the track is not long...you will get a lot of laps in 20-30 minutes if traffic is light, and will want to break up your time. Plus, on the short handling course and skid pad you can practice driving with the tail out, which is fun and challenging.
Thanks for the info Alan, I have to say i'm pretty excited by the opportunity based on the info in this thread. Have been trying to find the right time to call them as I have been given a direct line, just have to get the timezone right...not easy with a 17.5 hour time difference. Either way, i've been told you can't book more than a couple of months in advance so i'll have to bide my time.

Quick Reply: Atlanta Porsche Experience report