Sponsored by:

Why does Porsche use P Zeros?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2015 | 06:24 PM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by Daekwan
What does N spec mean?
That's the designation that it meets Porsche's requirements.

When they are revised and updated, they become N1 and then N2 and so on.
Old 11-23-2015 | 11:10 PM
hawc
Racer

Okay so if you decide to go with non N-Spec Michelin Super Sports from Tire Rack, which ones should you get? There are a whole bunch on there. BMW spec. Mercedes spec. No spec.

Me, I prefer to stick with the Porsche recommend, but I do miss the Michelins that came on my Cayman and Boxster. There's something missing with the P-Zeros. Can't quite put my finger on it, but they don't have the same 'feel' the Michelins did. I'm actually enjoying my 20" Michelin Alpine snow tires more right now on dry pavement.
Old 11-24-2015 | 07:47 AM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by hawc
Okay so if you decide to go with non N-Spec Michelin Super Sports from Tire Rack, which ones should you get? There are a whole bunch on there. BMW spec. Mercedes spec. No spec. Me, I prefer to stick with the Porsche recommend, but I do miss the Michelins that came on my Cayman and Boxster. There's something missing with the P-Zeros. Can't quite put my finger on it, but they don't have the same 'feel' the Michelins did. I'm actually enjoying my 20" Michelin Alpine snow tires more right now on dry pavement.
You want no spec.

If you want more feel, add 2-4 more PSI. I really think these PZeros have been great tires. I can't out drive them. Then again, I don't track or autoX or drive in rain. I plan to try the MPSS in mid summer 2016. I also expect them to be excellent, but I'd be surprised if they are better than the Pirellis. We'll see.
Old 11-24-2015 | 01:17 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LexVan
You want no spec.

If you want more feel, add 2-4 more PSI. I really think these PZeros have been great tires. I can't out drive them. Then again, I don't track or autoX or drive in rain. I plan to try the MPSS in mid summer 2016. I also expect them to be excellent, but I'd be surprised if they are better than the Pirellis. We'll see.
+1 the BMW/MB/Ferrari spec MPSS are constructed specifically for those platforms and may not perform as well as generic "no spec" rubber...

If you can wait it might be worth holding off until the N-spec MPSS appears?

we should ping damon@tirerack to see if he has an eta on those.
Old 11-24-2015 | 07:34 PM
rcg412
Rennlist Member

You want no spec.

Ha so basically for nice day road driving they are ok???

I track the pzero. They are better than they have been in older generations. They are not as good as pss. And they definitely aren't as good as mpsc2.

If mpsc2 is a 10 for aggressive driving/de. Then pss is an 8.5 and pzero a 8.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-25-2015 | 12:34 AM
hawc
Racer

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
It might be worth holding off until the N-spec MPSS appears? We should ping damon@tirerack to see if he has an eta on those.
Can someone ping him? I'd love to get an eta on N-Spec MPSS.

Will buy them for sure.

Old 11-25-2015 | 02:38 AM
MKW
Rennlist Member

You want no spec.

if you look at the side profile of the 991.1's OEM PZero N0 , they were purposely made more square-shouldered by Porsche's request in order to get better tire wear and maximize the advantages offered by the then new 991.1 model's redesigned rear suspension which featured much improved camber and toe control vs the 997 and before . This was relayed directly to a buddy of mine with direct line to Porsche chassis engineers in Germany.

Notice the generic MPSS that many 991.1 owners have bought so far has a comparatively more " rounded " shoulder side profile . I suspect the coming 991.2 oem MPSS NO wil be more " square shouldered " than off the shelf versions .
Old 11-25-2015 | 03:22 AM
rolling porsche
Intermediate

I did track the P-Zero, dd it, so far, i personally like it more than the PSS on my AMG.
Also, i cannot outdrive the P-Zero on track / road.......
What do you mean PSS is "better" than P-Zero? In terms of?
Old 11-25-2015 | 03:27 AM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rcg412
I track the pzero. They are better than they have been in older generations. They are not as good as pss. And they definitely aren't as good as mpsc2.

If mpsc2 is a 10 for aggressive driving/de. Then pss is an 8.5 and pzero a 8.
Agreed, but MPSC2s can get very slippery in cold temps. Also, I'm not so sure they are as resistant to road hazards as P-Zeros or MPSS.

Waiting for N-spec MPSS to come out of back order is really getting old.
Old 11-25-2015 | 06:22 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
............we should ping damon@tirerack to see if he has an eta on those.
At this time we have no ETA on when/if there will be an N-Spec SS in the 911's future. The only N rated SS we presently show is 255/40 20 and 295/35 20. If Michelin plans to produce in 991 sizing soon, we would probably know sometime hopefully in the spring.
Old 11-25-2015 | 06:22 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Daekwan
What does N spec mean?
Check this out
Old 11-25-2015 | 07:06 PM
TheEngineer
Instructor

That's the designation that it meets Porsche's requirements.

When they are revised and updated, they become N1 and then N2 and so on.
Turns out the N1 Pirelli's are now available.
Old 11-26-2015 | 01:36 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TheEngineer
Turns out the N1 Pirelli's are now available.
They have been available since the introduction of the 991 ... since they were the selected tire partner for Porsche.
Old 11-26-2015 | 01:56 PM
hawc
Racer

Originally Posted by damon@tirerack.com
The only N-rated Michelin Super Sport we presently show is 255/40 20 and 295/35 20.
What Porsche would those fit on?
Old 11-26-2015 | 01:59 PM
hawc
Racer

Originally Posted by MKW
If you look at the side profile of the 991.1's PZero they were purposely made more square-shouldered by Porsche's request in order to get better tire wear and maximize the advantages offered by the new 991.1's redesigned rear suspension, which featured much improved camber and toe control.
There's a good pic somewhere on this board of just how dramatically different the shoulder profile on the P-Zero and SS really are on a 20" 991's wheel. Wish someone could find it.

Quick Reply: Why does Porsche use P Zeros?