PDK Shift Delay Fix

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 01:40 PM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Received 180 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
any update?
good news here. I have asked that Gary have the tech check the fluid levels as others have mentioned on the threads. Should have a final diagnosis by end of day today but things are looking good.

"The technician has carried out checks on the 2015 911 GTS. There are no faults stored in any of the control units and all the software is up to date. The technician seems to think the car drives and shifts normal. He will drive the car again today from a cold and hot start to see if anything changes."
Old 11-12-2015, 02:29 PM
CDH911C2S
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Thank You

Originally Posted by Car25
^^You are an A** hole Extraordinaire for posting this.
I can't imagine calling anyone an "A**hole" for having, in humor, noticed an obvious production date error? An error that all of us have made at some point in time. Maybe you should talk to someone---I am glad I didn't reference Back to the Future---I can only imagine what your response would be?

A public forum is a place for secure people that enjoy these fine vehicles---I hope you find some happiness. Ask yourself why an obvious joke about the year a car was produced is enough to anger you.

Cheers
Old 11-12-2015, 03:53 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,446 Likes on 2,252 Posts

Originally Posted by NA430GTS
good news here. I have asked that Gary have the tech check the fluid levels as others have mentioned on the threads. Should have a final diagnosis by end of day today but things are looking good.

"The technician has carried out checks on the 2015 911 GTS. There are no faults stored in any of the control units and all the software is up to date. The technician seems to think the car drives and shifts normal. He will drive the car again today from a cold and hot start to see if anything changes."
if you want you can compare to my car...
Old 11-12-2015, 04:57 PM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Got this response from Cdh911c2s comments apparently I have been babying the car. Hmmm. Going to pick her up tomorrow.

"We suspect this may be the case. We have reset all the drive cycles on the car. Sorry to tell you that you may have to start driving this Porsche 911 GTS in a more spirited fashion! I did want to have the car checked over to make sure we were not missing anything. We have driven the car again this morning and checked the transmission fluid levels. Both are OK.have driven the car again this morning and checked the transmission fluid levels. Both are OK."
Old 11-12-2015, 05:29 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Got this response from Cdh911c2s comments apparently I have been babying the car. Hmmm. Going to pick her up tomorrow.

"We suspect this may be the case. We have reset all the drive cycles on the car. Sorry to tell you that you may have to start driving this Porsche 911 GTS in a more spirited fashion! I did want to have the car checked over to make sure we were not missing anything. We have driven the car again this morning and checked the transmission fluid levels. Both are OK.have driven the car again this morning and checked the transmission fluid levels. Both are OK."
I do wonder about the learning mode of the car and how that effects its responses... might make sense to run it in sport mode for a while ...
Old 11-13-2015, 03:37 PM
CDH911C2S
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

These learning transmissions have improved dramatically in the past 4 years /the pdk may be the best I've experienced. This learning capability has the potential to create issues. I am interested in how the next generation of learning transmissions with GPS integration can/will improve transmissions performance. Time will tell.

My BMW with the 8/speed ZF is just about perfect---

My Mercedes with in house 7 speed reminds me of how bad auto transmissions are for spirited driving. It does a good job of commuting but ask it to drive in a sport/spirited situation and it fails miserably. It is easily confused by road grades/slopes. My house is located with some decent grades @ 10-14% grades---several times a year my dealer erases the learned driving to stop gear hunting/holding....I think all luxury car makers should use the ZF 8 speed(This Means you Mercedes).

I am hopeful that the pdk hesitation described has been eliminated😀.

Have a great weekend all😎
Old 11-13-2015, 11:44 PM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Very pleased with the PDK fix that Sonnen provided. Picked up the car today and the shifting response is how I remembered it. Sharp and responsive. Took a nice ride into Sausalito, across the Golden Gate Bridge and through the Presidio. Even stopped by the apartment that my wife and I lived at 10 years ago. The top was, of course, down.

Very big shout out to Brett and Gary up there at Sonnen. You two are awesome.
Old 11-14-2015, 01:57 AM
fastdiablo
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Glad it's fixed my man! Did they identify and explain the problem?
I was also driving my GTS in the presidio today! Took my buddy who just got an M4 for a lap or two, which made him jealous. -didn't see ya, but that would have been awesome!
Last night before bed I had to go downstairs around 11pm just to take a look at those wide hips.. Ended up on an impromptu blast across the golden gate, made tons of noise through the tunnels, and then through the headlands twisties. So much fun lol. Love this thing!
Old 11-14-2015, 04:17 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Very pleased with the PDK fix that Sonnen provided. Picked up the car today and the shifting response is how I remembered it. Sharp and responsive. Took a nice ride into Sausalito, across the Golden Gate Bridge and through the Presidio. Even stopped by the apartment that my wife and I lived at 10 years ago. The top was, of course, down.

Very big shout out to Brett and Gary up there at Sonnen. You two are awesome.
they rock

Originally Posted by fastdiablo
Glad it's fixed my man! Did they identify and explain the problem?
I *believe* that they thought that the car had learned some bad habits and
they reset it so it could re-learn a more aggressive shift?

Originally Posted by fastdiablo
I was also driving my GTS in the presidio today! Took my buddy who just got an M4 for a lap or two, which made him jealous. -didn't see ya, but that would have been awesome!
Last night before bed I had to go downstairs around 11pm just to take a look at those wide hips.. Ended up on an impromptu blast across the golden gate, made tons of noise through the tunnels, and then through the headlands twisties. So much fun lol. Love this thing!
Ah a man after my own heart I love those tunnels on either side of the GGB ... they were made for a 911 exhaust under acceleration!

we definitely need to get some B.A GTSes together for a drive and photo shoot before El Nino arrives!
Old 11-15-2015, 01:40 AM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
they rock

I *believe* that they thought that the car had learned some bad habits and
they reset it so it could re-learn a more aggressive shift?

Ah a man after my own heart I love those tunnels on either side of the GGB ... they were made for a 911 exhaust under acceleration!

we definitely need to get some B.A GTSes together for a drive and photo shoot before El Nino arrives!
I was very surprised that the car had "learned" a delayed shift as I put it through its paces several times (PCH, 35, Calaveras). the only area that may have caused the issue was my around town driving. I use the stick in manual mode for low key driving around town as I like that pop sound from the exhaust when I up and down shift. Now I just keep it in automatic around town Hopefully the problem doesn't arise again or I will need to get it reset at the dealer each time the problem develops. Right now its working perfectly. Had a great day with the 3 kids with the top down. Stopped by the Alameda Auto cross event a few times to check it out. No runs today, just wanted to get a feel. Very cool event. The kids loved it.

We absolutely need to get a GG GTS meeting going...I know Larry is in Fastdiablo? How about this Friday afternoon?
Old 11-15-2015, 11:22 AM
mikemdd
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Gem Mookherjea
also has some pdk shift delay issue
solution was to top off fluids

happened again
full pdk fluid drain and fill, like new again
Is there a level monitoring capability where you get an alert if the PDK fluid is low, or does it have to be checked manually?
Old 05-02-2018, 11:16 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Got a new PDK and same issue here. My 2012.5 original PDK upshifted rapidly in manual mode. The new PDK is just as rapid in auto mode, and also when downshifting in manual mode. It’s also immediate when upshifting at no or light throttle.

The issue arises solely when giving moderate to harder throttle during UPSHIFTS in manual mode. It shifts immediately on the SCREEN, but then it takes like a second or so to actually shift the transmission. Annoying.

My SA said that since the transmission is so new, it’s just “learning my driving style.” But it’s been a few days. Sport + in manual mode doesn’t make it register manual inputs any quicker. I’d say it feels like some “cold temperature protective measure” as some said 2014+ PDK’s have, but it doesn’t register inputs any faster when warm.

Quick Reply: PDK Shift Delay Fix