Sponsored by:

shipping p-car cross country

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 11:27 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,308 Likes on 686 Posts
Default shipping p-car cross country

I'm moving from Philly to LA at the end of the month, and I'll need to ship my 991 GT3.

I've never shipped a car before, let alone a high end one, and wanted to ask for recommendations on companies that rennlisters have used and trust.

I also posted this on the GT3 forum and so far I've just received a recommendation for an insanely expensive company from a RL who shipped his P1.

I'm sure he meant well, but I'm hoping to find a reputable and reliable company to safely ship my GT3, but at an appropriate price.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 11-03-2015, 11:53 PM
sandbar
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default shipping p-car cross country

I'll drive it for you.

Good luck. I'm needing one in January as well from Colorado to Connecticut. Let us know who you go with and your experiences with them.
Old 11-03-2015, 11:57 PM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ask your local Porsche dealer who they use. When shipping a car, the biggest pitfalls are if they are properly insured and if you are dealing with a broker. Ask to see a copy of their insurance policy and make sure you are dealing directly with the shipper. Some shippers offer daily updates via GPS and email etc.

I got a quote to ship a 991 from the East coast to L.A. for $1,300 last week. And that was from the local Porsche dealership selling the car. I would then require who the shipper was and do my due diligence.
Old 11-04-2015, 09:44 AM
Homeles
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by captainbaker
Ask your local Porsche dealer who they use. When shipping a car, the biggest pitfalls are if they are properly insured and if you are dealing with a broker. Ask to see a copy of their insurance policy and make sure you are dealing directly with the shipper. Some shippers offer daily updates via GPS and email etc.

I got a quote to ship a 991 from the East coast to L.A. for $1,300 last week. And that was from the local Porsche dealership selling the car. I would then require who the shipper was and do my due diligence.
$1300? Has to be an open carrier. Enclosed coast to coast return for Porsche Parade was $5400.
Old 11-04-2015, 09:52 AM
Hothonda
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Talking w/this company & checked references with a local Seattle owner who used them a month ago w/good results.

http://www.angelsmovingautos.com/
Old 11-04-2015, 10:02 AM
paul29
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Intercity lines all enclosed, I shipped from Texas to Mass with absolutely no problem. They are a Rennlist vender with a member discount.
Old 11-04-2015, 02:14 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I've used Intercity before with good results.

Local Ferrari dealer uses Plycar frequently, they brought my California from Michigan quickly, and they did a fine job with it. They also use Horseless Carriage.

Beware the "best price" places, you'll get a broker who hooks you up with independent and havoc may ensue.
Old 11-04-2015, 02:20 PM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 1,034 Likes on 590 Posts

be carefull, almost evry transaction goes through brokers that put in on bidding floor for the cheapest offer. Hope someone will recommend the individual owner of a truck that they have used and this will be a much safer bet.
Old 11-04-2015, 06:22 PM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Hothonda
Talking w/this company & checked references with a local Seattle owner who used them a month ago w/good results. http://www.angelsmovingautos.com/
I've used them from LA to SF with good results.

Many recommend Intercity in this board.
Old 11-04-2015, 09:20 PM
Cal911
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've used Pilot Transport 3 times over the last 10 years and have been very happy. I've also referred them to others who have also had a great experience. They're out of Brighton Michigan and do a lot of work for the auto manufactures .

They offer open or closed and I have always chosen closed. Good Luck!
Old 11-05-2015, 10:29 PM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by paul29
Intercity lines all enclosed, I shipped from Texas to Mass with absolutely no problem. They are a Rennlist vender with a member discount.
InterCity has been a long standing forum sponsor with a spotless record from what I can see.

https://rennlist.com/forums/911-foru...embers-34.html

And yes, the quote I got was for an open carrier.
Old 11-05-2015, 10:36 PM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Talking w/this company & checked references with a local Seattle owner who used them a month ago w/good results.

I could be wrong, but after looking at the insurance limits on their own website, they are limited to $75,000. I dont know it thats per car or per claim or ?
Old 12-16-2015, 01:07 PM
holgum
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry to report my very recent experience with this company has been horrible. Both the pickup and dropoff were fiascos. Constant 'rescheduling', truck breakdown, vague communication and even bald-faced lies from the actual carrier.
I realize that as brokers, they may be at the mercy of the actual carrier and of course I could be the one unlucky person that had a bad experience, but I would never use them again.
Old 12-18-2015, 12:08 AM
roberttran1985
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Subscribed to see who you end up using. I may need my GT4 shipped from Philly to LA in March if I choose not to drive it :-)
Old 12-18-2015, 12:17 AM
Jhoffmann
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I always use Reliable. Not the cheapest but have always done a great job, carry plenty of insurance, and have always been fair if there has been an issue.

Quick Reply: shipping p-car cross country