Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rennlist Membership subscription. Do it!

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 10:13 AM
JAM2
Rennlist Member

Received 425 Likes on 205 Posts

If folks are complaining about $16/yr, then perhaps a Porsche isn't the car for you. My $.02

$32 for 2 years = no brainer. I became a "member" after about 2 weeks. The folks that I have met, mostly members, have been extremely helpful. From assisting me during my configuration process, to recommendations during European Delivery, to meeting for burgers at Louie's (thanks Tony), and drinks with JD in NYC, was all made possible because of Rennlist. THE PROFESSIONALISM AND GREAT ATTITUDE of theses folks are insurmountable. Of course, we are allowed to voice opinions, but those who choose to use this forum to bash others, please take the attitude and make a SPECtacle of yourself elsewhere. You are allowed to keep posting great pictures though
Old 11-16-2015, 10:15 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,432 Likes on 827 Posts

Originally Posted by STG991
Fortunately, those who are making great contributions to this site are mostly ALL members. All the ones that cause problems are mostly all NOT members. I've become so much more knowledgeable in the 911 and Porsche world because of the great members here. I appreciate it a lot. Membership and quality of contributors is directly related. Why is this place so much better than 6Speed and the others?

Having a bit of skin in the game makes for a better environment here. Really, $32.00 for 2 years that expensive?

Corporate profits? I hope there are some. They are offering a valuable service here. The original owners sold it for what? A profit! Internet Brands bought Rennlist for $$$, they didn't get it for free.

I don't work for free, and I'm sure nobody else does. Profit is what drives this great country of ours. How else can we make a living to afford day to day expenses and nice toys? We aren't a communist country.
Is it better? Guess that depends on your perspective. Its self selecting. You join a forum that most closely aligns with your views. the 6 speed guys are more about speed, pelican is more about diy, and here is more run of the mill, with some tech thrown in. If rennlist disappeared, we'd all congregate elsewhere.

$32 for two years is not putting anyone's skin in the game. Causation vs. correlation.

Whether its expensive or not has ZERO to do with my point. I don't care if its $1 or $1000.

Internet brands bought this site because it saw a profit opportunity.

They profit from advertisers and sponsors already. If you want to add to that profit and see value in it, thats great, free country and all.

to suggest that the value of this place is anything more than its userbase is crazy. Rennlist with no users is worthless.

If you want to pay for membership, do it. but recommending others do it is ridiculous.
Old 11-16-2015, 10:15 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,413 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
this is a load of crap. The value of this forum is its membership. Without the members, rennlist is just a vessel. When it was john D, I could see the value. With internet brands, your membership is just padding their corporate profits. You want to avoid ads, take 2 seconds and install ad-block plus. You won't see a single advertisement. If you like the OT forum, cool. If you want to sell stuff, cool. Otherwise, you might as well give your money away. If rennlist disappeared one day, we'd all migrate to pelican, or 6 speed, or wherever and the value would be the same because its YOU who creates value (not just in terms of knowledge, but in terms of site visits to drive IBs bottom line).
Oliver, I remember when somebody here on Rennlist bought a subscription for you to as a joke. That was funny.
Old 11-16-2015, 10:22 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by LexVan
Oliver, I remember when somebody here on Rennlist bought a subscription for you to as a joke. That was funny.
yeah, emb pilot is a funny guy lol
Old 11-16-2015, 05:52 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
So did Oliver think the nice gesture would be renewed every year?

I think if someone doesn't have a membership, I'm not going to waste my valuable time helping with any sort of advice in many of these redundant threads.
Old 11-16-2015, 08:30 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

As under John Dunkle, Rennlist is still a user supported site. If you can't see the difference (Quadcammer I am talking to you) check out Audiworld which is an IB site which unlike Rennlist is NOT user supported. As to other sites, the way I see it, 6speed is mostly about bling. Pelican is a DIY site and worthy. The best tech is still here along with breaking news thanks to some of our Members who are privy to insider info.

Quadcammer you seem to spend a lot of effort defending your refusal to become a Member. Based (only) on the number of reported posts I get which feature you, I'd say you biggest contributions to this site are snarky responses, condescension and trolling.

To turn around what you have posted, if YOU were to disappear, Rennlist would be a happier place.
Old 11-16-2015, 08:34 PM
JAM2
Rennlist Member

Received 425 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
As under John Dunkle, Rennlist is still a user supported site. If you can't see the difference (Quadcammer I am talking to you) check out Audiworld which is an IB site which unlike Rennlist is NOT user supported. As to other sites, the way I see it, 6speed is mostly about bling. Pelican is a DIY site and worthy. The best tech is still here along with breaking news thanks to some of our Members who are privy to insider info.

Quadcammer you seem to spend a lot of effort defending your refusal to become a Member. Based (only) on the number of reported posts I get which feature you, I'd say you biggest contributions to this site are snarky responses, condescension and trolling.

To turn around what you have posted, if YOU were to disappear, Rennlist would be a happier place.
Old 11-16-2015, 09:04 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by JAM2

+1

And to the good Rennlisters here, don't stand for the hooligans. Report any offensive posts to the moderators. Click the circle in the upper right hand corner of that post, and hit "report" on the bottom. Hopefully they get dealt with by the moderators.
Old 11-16-2015, 09:13 PM
freeman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I knew I loved this place and I should not leave without paying $32/2 years! Let's restrict our comments to paying members.
Old 11-16-2015, 10:47 PM
STG
Race Director

$.05 a day is what a membership costs. Really, can anyone complain about that?

Old 11-16-2015, 11:05 PM
Happy911S
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think it is good to allow non-paying memeber some time to see if it is worth it. I know that I lurked for some time before I saw the value and decided it was time to contibute for what I was getting (i.e. information). Perhaps there should be a limited amount of time before non-paying member have to pay if they want to play -- just a thought!
Old 11-17-2015, 08:31 AM
mathfuzzy
Rennlist Member

Received 400 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by JAM2
If folks are complaining about $16/yr, then perhaps a Porsche isn't the car for you. My $.02 $32 for 2 years = no brainer. I became a "member" after about 2 weeks. The folks that I have met, mostly members, have been extremely helpful. From assisting me during my configuration process, to recommendations during European Delivery, to meeting for burgers at Louie's (thanks Tony), and drinks with JD in NYC, was all made possible because of Rennlist. THE PROFESSIONALISM AND GREAT ATTITUDE of theses folks are insurmountable. Of course, we are allowed to voice opinions, but those who choose to use this forum to bash others, please take the attitude and make a SPECtacle of yourself elsewhere. You are allowed to keep posting great pictures though
Well said, Joe.

My only complaint is the recent puritanical crackdown against profanity in posts. Otherwise, all good.
Old 11-17-2015, 09:03 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

I could say the same about you. Also, perhaps happiness needs a bit of reality, which some folks are sorely lacking.

Explain how its user supported? Are you stating that the site does not cover its costs via advertising and sponsors?

Audiworld is a cute example. How about mbworld. Looks just like rennlist, zero cost to anyone.

Edit: If the user support is so crucial to the site, why isn't a paid membership mandatory?
Old 11-17-2015, 12:53 PM
997s07
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Explain how its user supported? Are you stating that the site does not cover its costs via advertising and sponsors?

Audiworld is a cute example. How about mbworld. Looks just like rennlist, zero cost to anyone.

Edit: If the user support is so crucial to the site, why isn't a paid membership mandatory?
The fact is that this site does not need a single paid supporting member. The traffic this site generates provides far more advertising pricing options for the owners. If this site needed member money, they would easily get it by making it private. And believe me they know this. So the question begs, why is this site not private? Because it makes a boatload more money by being public. The owners are not altruistic, they have paid a $1 billion for the brands - they will squeeze the most they can from each and every site. The membership fees are only icing on a colossal cake.

And to those who feel an obligation to "buy in," please do so. But be respectful to others who do not share your view. Some of us really appreciate what we learn here and pay back with our own experiences and knowledge. Some of don't care to share a marketplace with rennlisters, or socialize with them outside of the internet, or read off topic threads, etc.

Furthermore, when a moderator comes in and airs the dirty laundry of a "user" it can only come across as poor judgement and those quote him are not far behind. Frankly I was surprised by that post.

Last edited by 997s07; 11-17-2015 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 11-17-2015, 01:17 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

All of IBs auto websites are ad models, including Rennlist. Per their own public disclosures, 97% of the traffic on their sites is non-paying. If you want to pay, great. I choose not to pay simply because I choose not to have one more place for my credit card information to be stored, with little benefit in my eyes.

How good a web forum is or isn't has nothing to do with membership fees and everything to do with the quality of the people participating in it.

Quick Reply: Rennlist Membership subscription. Do it!